Seattle Snopacalypse - 2012 Edition

We haven’t had any signficant snow where I’m at since last evening and I can see the snow melting under the trees and in the tire tracks down the driveway. A few flurries here and there, but nothing sticking. Which is fine with me since I work just down the road, though I did walk yesterday.

Which is one of the interesting aspects of the geography of this area. You can have one place get a trace of snow and 20 miles away they are looking at a foot of it. But at this point that Cliff Mass blog and other sources seem to be scaling way back on what is expected between now and warmer temps on Thursday.

Meh, I live in Cincinnati, anything northeast of Dayton and southwest of Akron is “Columbus”. ;-)

A ton of snow coming down at work, so I come home and run errands. A decent amount north in Ballard. At the house a few blocks south…nothing. Sunny and no snow anywhere, it’s all melted.

Yeah definitely needed all through NorCal. They’re talking 6" at least for Thurs/Fri, which will be nice.

— Alan

SNOMG

Despite a 90% chance of snow prediction for my zip code on Weather Underground, we didn’t get a damn thing today. And it was mostly clear blue skies and sunny around 2PM. A lot of the snow melted, obviously, with the hazards coming home tonight being the occasional patch of black ice on mostly dry roads.

We’ll see about the “for sure” snowfall we are supposed to get before the morning commute.

And how does it look now, Sarkus? Vashon is buried. No one is going anywhere today, that’s for sure.

Looks like a good day to play outside and pretend that I’m a Nord in Skyrim.

Now where did I leave that bow?

FUS-RO-DAH the driveway?

More like: YOL-TOOR-SHOL the driveway. That’s fire breath.

I am a sad nerd.

Whoa yeah, working from home today. At least I live in walking distance from a grocery store - I have been through enough of these Seattle snows to know that side roads get zero attention from the department of transportation and I’ll probably be without use my car until this all melts.

My favorite was when the road was plowed but no thought given to the individual drive-ways and by the time I had gotten home the whatever inches of slushy snow had frozen solid and I had to chisel through the large plow berm to get my car off the road. Good times.

To some degree though, Seattle and the northwest usually get winter ‘just right’. The typical winter has one or two ‘events’ where everything is painted white for a day, maybe two, then everything melts away free and easy. Once in a while it becomes a horror show and that’s usually when the snow is followed by the ice.

Sometimes I miss ‘seasons’.

We finally got some snow here last week, followed by an Arctic air blast lasting several days, but then it melted yesterday – and rained – and today everything’s coated in ice. It sucks.

Have 5 inches of snow in Puyallup this morning, and it’s coming down pretty steady. Wish I didn’t work at home and could take the day off.

It’s really been a beautiful winter this year. Much fewer gray days. Lots of crisp blue skies. We’ll pay for it with a low snow pack this summer, I suppose, but it’s been nice.

Two to three inches but its already stopped. I was listening to Cliff Mass on the radio earlier and he thinks not much else will fall, though they still don’t expect it to warm up enough to melt much until tomorrow.

Here’s the morning view at my house, but other then the new now on the cars, it doesn’t look that much different then the other day.

You guys who are mocking our snow emergency don’t realize:

1. We have almost no snow removal/treatment equipment out here.

2. Nobody has snow-capable tires, or any sense on how to drive on slick roads.

3. We have a serious Snow Zombie problem here.

AWESOME.

My wife was able to get to her doctor’s appointment this morning, despite the snow everywhere, thanks to tire chains. Anyone who lives in the burbs around here, and doesn’t have tire chains, is a traveling fool. Les Schwab sells some really easy-to-put-on ones.

Seattle has little to no snow removal/treatment equipment? Do you guys really not get snow during the winter? That surprises me considering how far notrh you guys are (relative to the rest fo the country). Is it a bay thing? Some sort of weather patterns off the water keeping things rainy instead of snowy? What are your normal winter low temps?

We usually get an inch or two of snow twice a year. Not sure why.

Ho ho ho.

I grew up here, and for much of that time, Seattle would average a heavy snow that actually stuck on the ground about once a decade. That’s not to say that it didn’t snow every year, but the majority of years it melted as soon as it hit the ground.

The average winter temps are probably low 40s. Maybe upper 30s. Rarely gets below freezing.

The main reason is that we are smack dab on the Pacific Ocean, and we have a ocean current from Hawaii that pumps warm water to our section of coastline. The result is that the ocean and the current moderate our temperatures all year round. We rarely get heavy snow, and in the summer it’s rarely humid to the point of uncomfortable. It might get sticky for a week around early August, but the summers here are glorious. The days are very long, we’ve got 70s and 80s shorts weather, completely blue sky, completely blue water, and absolutely perfect humidity.