Secret CIA source claims Russia rigged 2016 election

I had a college roommate who once said or wrote “For all intensive purposes.”

I think it still makes me pop a blood cell whenever I read it.

Oh, also, guys? It’s “try a different tack,” not “try a different tact.” It’s a sailing metaphor you goddamn ignoramuses!!

Urge to kill… rising

Oh interesting. Didnt know or even realise it from his tweets, which i must admit rush by in a busy TL.

Look, you just aren’t grasping the tenants of his philosophy.

Man, one time, we were camping right in the middle of nowhere and saw the aurora borealis.

It was pretty in tents.

For many years, I have wanted to have a picture of a campsite by the sea with dolphins leaping into the air

Below that, it would say:

“For all in tents and porpoises”

Alternatively, a shaggy dog story with that as the punchline.

I hate all of you.

There’s a whole ridiculous tale in one of Spider Robinson’s Callahan stories that is a pages-long setup to “Obi, Juan’s kin - Obi” and “the dock side of the farce.”

I’ve done this one or something similar… on this very board no less! I think I was (mis)quoting The Big Lebowski.

But I’ll argue that it’s more forgivable - it’s a simple spelling mistake not a misapprehension of the meaning of “tenet”. Dyslexia is not ignorance.

“That story doesn’t jive.”

I see “jive” used all the time for “jibe”

The one I see and hear all the time is, “I could care less.”

Are we at 2nd Amendment solution stage yet? Cause if this was Hillary, I’m pretty sure we got there sometime last month.

One I always liked was Gravity’s Rainbow having a long series of events unspooling just to give a character context to say “For DeMille, young fur-henchmen can’t be rowing.”

Don’t forget “reign it in” and “walla [for voilà]” and “I’m going to loose my will to live” and “persay.”
God forbid people crack a book open once in a while, sheesh.

I also see “touch basis” a lot, which sounds like the most actionable accounting method.

I feel like the lose/loose thing is often written by people for whom English is a second language, and I have some sympathy for these poor souls who actually think English spelling is even remotely consistent with respect to pronunciation.

Also, it’s pronounced “mischievous” not “mischievious”.

I don’t know about that–I’ve seen way too many examples of it written by people whose other writing reveals them to be perfectly conversant with idiomatic English. I’d think that a non-native whose English had gotten that good would pay closer attention.

C’mon guys, let’s nip this in the butt before this thread gets too derailed. I mean, I know QT3 is a suppository of information on proper grammer, but irregardless of that fact this is a thread about politics. Anyways, let’s try and stay on topic and not wreck havoc on anyone who makes a grammatical missed step. Maybe take that stuff to another thread where we can extract revenge on people who misuse words and phrases. I know you’ve certainly peaked my interest in the subject.

/thread

http://i35.tinypic.com/2n6ung7.gif