Secret Santa 2020 Speed Edition

Got in some nice gifts from Secret Santa in the way of Gaia Project & TM…as well as a nice 2021 calendar that my wife is figuring out where to hang.

Thanks Santa!

Wow, you guys. I am seriously touched. Did you know this is the 13th annual QT3 Secret Santa? I helped organize each one since year 4, I think, or 5 and took over from Ryan thereafter. I chose not to play this year because I knew I would have too much on my plate – certainly I did last year – and I’ve had a difficult recovery from the events of the turn of the year.

When I opened my inbox last night I found a gift card to my favorite small business, Homeless Garden Project in Santa Cruz. I buy stuff from these guys all the time. The salves are great gifts and I’m trying the jam this year. Looking forward to exploring more of their handmade merchandise.

Thank you, friends. It’s an honor and a delight to be part of this community.

I went all digital this year. My secret Santa sent 6 months of Game Pass plus $50 of Postmates to enjoy!

More info from the About Us section of their website:

In May of 1990, the Citizens Committee for the Homeless, a Santa Cruz County nonprofit, began a new project by opening the gates of an organic garden on Pelton Avenue.

The Homeless Garden Project would provide job training and meaningful work in a therapeutic environment. The Homeless Garden Project began as a place to provide sanctuary, refuge, and meaningful work within the healing space of the organic farm. Blossoming over time and furthering the project’s benefits, the farm harvests have provided an opportunity to support our vision and community through our CSA program, farm stand, and crafts, which are sold at our local Santa Cruz stores and on-line.

With pleasure.

It is like Mage Knight but faster turns, brisker combat, much less action paralysis, and an independent actor on your team who you have to manage, which is hilarious as she (the princess) cannot be controlled (well there is one way) and does whatever she likes and has no concept of self preservation.

We played the tutorial game, had a break for lunch*, and then played a full game, but the King of the abyss ate her.

I like that it plays quite fast, and the theming is fun, and the erratic princess is fun.

Combat is a bit confusing though, and there aren’t any rewards for killing the enemy.

The tokens etc are fine enough, good artwork (Japanese, and someone never got the memo about bikini armour not being a thing any more!) But the tile cards aren’t straight edged hexagons, so sometimes it was challenging to see which areas where actually adjacent to each other.

*Lunch:

That sounds very cool, and man, you always make me envious with the food choices :-)

While those shipped from my store I am not your Santa! 😊

I received all but one of the packages, and given that I know what the final one is, and that my Santa has revealed himself to be @armandopenblade, I think it’s okay to make the post.

The first package we got contained a book for my super cool daughter. We have now read this book several times each day and once every night since.

The next package contained what I consider to be essential DMing accessories: a pint glass, a shot glass (Lord knows I need the extra charisma), and a dice bag.

The third package contained a lovely note and a stack of chewy, brown-butter chocolate chip cookies. With this, I think I have entered into an exclusive and enviable club of Qt3ers Who Have Tasted Armando’s Cooking, and friends, I can tell you that it is good. Armando, no need to worry, they arrived remarkably fresh, and we have already nommed on many.

The final package, scheduled to arrive next week, is a gift card for Astor Wines and Spirits. I have already spent much time browsing their site (and plan to spend more) trying to figure out which of the many wonderful liquors I am going to pick out.

Thank you so much @armandopenblade! Merry Chrimbus!

Very welcome, sir!!! Happy that the little one is enjoying the book; @CraigM was very helpful in identifying just the right thing.

And very very glad that the cookies arrived alright! We’re just about done with the rejects (read: those that flattened out way too much to fit into the tin I used for shipping; oops for using new, highly conductive pans!) and I’m wishing I’d wrapped em in plastic wrap myself, hah.

And very sorry about the huge delay on the boozy side of things. Watching that little gift card crawl across America the last week or so has been a little maddening, hah. It made it to Nebraska last night!

I gotta say that when these gifts came in a box cleary labeled “Sagrada” I thought I knew for sure which game was inside. Was a bit surprised by what came out :)

Santa (Secret) came today. He (or she, I shall use “He” as the pronoun below) remains secret.

He left a book:

He left a Musical CD:

https://www.amazon.com/Working-Overtime/dp/B0086S8A14/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Dave+Hole+working+overtime&qid=1608920080&sr=8-3

And some artwork of what appears to be a dinosaur on a constellation map/zodiacal motif:

Thank you for the gracious thoughts this year Santa!

But I must ask; was I bad this year?

My gifts are awesome :-)

First up is a metal(!) dice set:

Then a portable rolling box:

And finally, a chain-mail dice bag!

Wonderful set of gists, Secret Santa – whomever you may be :-)

Thank you! And Happy Mimosa Christmas!

Thank you, Santa! Mystic Vale has been on my wishlist forever; after years of being ignored by my friends and family, it’s finally here! And Raiders of the North Sea is a favorite in my household, so we’re really eager to dive into Scythia.

A very merry Xmas to you, to fire, and to everyone here.

You’re welcome! Had no choice but to get you board games. 😉

That dice set is gorgeous.

@CF_Kane Glad you like the stuff! Everything had some personal connection…

I loved the original Dune when I was a teenager, so when I found there was a new version and it was on your BoardGameGeek wish list, I couldn’t resist!

The books are two of my favorite series, the Vorkosigan Saga and the Bobiverse. I really hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

The memory game because we have to encourage the next generation of gamers and far out space nuts!

And I’m glad to see the Rubber Chicken is now an official Qt3 thing that’s carrying on in Xtien’s memory.

Meanwhile, 11:05 am and I’m still waiting on my 18-year-old son to come downstairs so we can open presents. Such a change from the 6:30 am “Did Santa come?” days… :)

Hah, my gf and I barely got started before 2pm today!

So, apologies to my mysterious Santa, it took a bit to get to your awesome gifts!!!

I’m so, so excited to get this boom arm and shock mount into action right away for my rpg and recording uses!

These are SUPER nice and are gonna be a giant boon for my ultra crowded desk, where my great, but bulky, mic, has been getting in the way of my monitors badly. It’ll also help a ton with keyboard and mouse noise, desk creaks, etc, and keep the mic at a consistent perfect distance and angle.

Super, super appreciated, mysterious benefactor!

I’m glad you will enjoy them! I feel obliged to remove as many obstacles as possible so that the world can be exposed to the glorious Penbladian voice.

There’s no rhyme or reason as to whether I reveal myself as a Secret Santa or not, but I feel like I must because this is now twice that the Secret Santa gods have put me in a mirrored Santa/Santee pair. Good QT3 trivia.

Merry Christmas!

Hah!! That’s awesome man. Arika and I got a huge kick out of that. Thanks again, and I look forward to getting it all setup later today :-D

Those trousers are awesome!