Secret World's dirty little secret is that it doesn't work yet

Shitty review of clueless reviewer. I bet he is WoW fanboy who is angry TSW is not another clone

Ugh, I hate reviews like this.

I found a bug! 2 stars! Waaaaa. Mommy come fix the bugs!

If this was how it should be done Skyrim would have zero stars out of a million.

Every MMO since the dawn of time has had rough launches... and I actually think TSWs was pretty good.

I've been playing for a few weeks with beta, early access and now release, and yes I have found about 5 quests that sometimes wont spawn correctly... literally out of 200 other quests that I have done just fine.

4 of them have already been fixed... one is Men in Black Vans. That actually got fixed ON THE DAY OF actual release, I know because it was bugged for me the last day of the early access and then it was in the 1.0 patch notes and then i completed it just fine.

So... when did you write this review? During Beta?

I give your website 2 stars, lol.

Peace.

p.s. Out of 100.

Blizzard whore

I looked up your stats on Chronicle. You must have roughly 40 to 50 hours played in this game that you gave a 40 out of 100? How many hours do you spend playing a game you rate a 90 out of 100?

firstly, I think you put way too much weight on what are minor and temporary broken quest issues, it's not like any sort of majority are broken, it is quite literally an amount you can count on your digits, and to make the claim that the entire game doesn't work because of less than a handful of quests that didn't is absurd and poor logic, and assuming that all future quests would be broken is silly and five seconds on google (didn't even have to tab out of the game bro) would have told you exactly which quests were known to bug and in what way.

secondly, I think you showed a fundamental lack of knowledge as to how the progression system works in TSW, yes they well and truly removed levels, they didn't just hide the level system, it quite simply isn't present, and all roles it served have been completely taken over by equipped gear (almost solely responsible for vertical progression) and the ability wheel (mostly responsible for the HUGE horizontal progression), you might at this point say that the skill pint system is a level system (it's the closest you'll find) but that's just a way they have chosen to expand on the gear system to make it capable of bearing the full brunt of the vertical progression necessary to make you feel like you are getting stronger.

Finally, I also detest the idea that the cash shop is "money grubbing", for one it only offers cosmetic clothes options, and for another the reason it exists is so that they can fund the content it provides, look at it this way, some people just up front don't care how they look, a lot won't even bother looking at any of the in-game stores for more than a brief second, so why should they pay for the cost of designing and developing all the clothes? (and believe me it's no small task) instead the people paying for clothing shop items are the ones funding the making of more, and the way it works is that eventually the items become discounted, and then they become available for in-game money, this way the optional cosmetic content eventually filters down to the people who can't afford to pay for stuff, and the people who don't care about it don't have to pay for it. the reason you still need to pay a sub is because they are planning on releasing content updates ever month, so your subscription covers all the actual game, while the cash-shop funds the frilly bits that a large portion of players don't care about.

P.S. you mentioned being unable to hotkey potions and such, you can actually create bags and "lock" them so they remain permanently open on your screen even while in combat, creating a sort of mini hotbar.

Poor review..

To be fair, fanboys or not, a right to an opinion debated correctly is good. If we didn't question everything, we'd be the equivalent of a yay cheering fascist state. But hooray to difference and arguments.

Retail price, monthly subscription AND in-game store for a broken game?! I guess this was to be expected, coming from the incompetents that drove Age of Conan into the ground. :(

Wow... 2 stars for a game that's maybe the best, most innovative and original MMO ever released. I'm speechless.

this 'review' is a joke. first and most important: one page for a mmorpg? really? and then, yes, there are broken quests.. but is it hard to realize its broken? no, not at all. and the gm support is awesome, theyre gona help you out in no time. also, theres broken stuff in every mmo out there, even those thats been running for years. and this one has been released a mere 2 weeks ago.. seriously, if you dont wanna put some thought and work into it, you shouldnt review any games more complex than angry birds.

How can you give this game such a shitty score? It's basically the best MMO ever, and you'll giving it 2 stars, dumping the total score on metacritic. You should totally not be allowed to review a game ever again.

It's a shame that this "review" is destroying the metascore for this great MMO. You know that you can destroy a game with reviews like that? Years of hard work, killed by just some words? Take responsibility and think about what you wrote. Btw, yes, a few quests have problems, but changing the instance solved all of them for me... and that's just one or two mouse clicks.

This review is only poor because the reviewer only played the game in order to review it. It is done poorly because so much of the population of the game is so far beyond "the 4 little quests that couldn't" we'll call them, that any mention of them is very obviously ill-intentioned and not unbiased and accurate. I was able to finish every mission mentioned. So by that alone you are wrong and misleading to say they are broken at all. There are issues with the new game, big deal, PLAY the game until you get through every dungeon and every zone. You will see just how revolutionary this game is and how open ended the content can be. With story lines that will be somewhat familiar even before they are played through because of the legend/myth aspect of the game. Unlike 'Pandaria' and the following explanation of the race and hokey lore. TSW will simply be able to say ....Zeus!!! ....coming next month or Vikings!!!! next expansion! and all will know what they will be dealing with. I personally think this game has legs and will run and run. Time will tell just how horrible your review will end up being. Funcom hatred aside you simply lost the plot on your review.

Game is good, no its very good, best MMORPG since years. And i played them all.
I never heard of you, but i guess you will be the guy people speak of later. "Hey thats the critic who gave TSW a score of 40%" *everybody explodes into laughter*
But i guess history always needs at least one.

GEE, TOM CHICK! THAT SURE WAS A SWELL RESPONSE TO BRAZHAKHAR'S LEGITIMATE CONCERNS REGARDING YOUR JOURNALISTIC INTEGRITY!!!

Oh wait...

I picked up this game on Friday, the 13'th and have spent the entire weekend sucked into it's world. Everything from the levelless skill system, to the great quests and incredible story simply scream innovation. Yes there are still standard MMORPG quests, but this is the only MMORPG where I actually managed to get lost AND mess up my character build.

This is a blast because you can easily fix all your screw ups just by spending more time questing or PvPing, and both these things are incredibly fun. The PvP is really skill based, just like it is in DCUO. I really wish the combat was more action based as well, but all the skill combinations more than make up for the fairly standard turn based fare that we have come to expect of the genre.

At first I was a bit turned off by the combat, just like you were; but upon discovering how certain conditions mix and match with others, I was addicted! Just like in Guild Wars there are skills that interact with conditions. A standard sword attack can heal you if you are attacking a weakened target. Or deal extra damage if your target is suffering another effect. This encourages you to play smart and combo your skills. For some reason you failed to mention this in your review, instead saying combat was all about button mashing - which it is not past the first few hours of the game.
Once I had a good build, combat became amazing as I ducked attacks and retaliated for maximum damage.

In about 20 hours of playtime I have encountered 0 quest bugs. I have had 0 issues with the game actually - and loved every minute of it. Not since vanilla WoW have I been this engrossed in an MMO, and just want to say that the score you gave the game is terrible.

Reading your review you mention issues that I never experienced, and problems that don't exist. Giving a game like Diablo 3 such a high score while giving TSW such a low score is incredibly biased and reeks of fanboyism. Lets not forget the launch month issues that Diablo 3 had. I won't mention the fact that people who pre-ordered the game could not play for days, or the constant disconectes and errors; but the constant rubber banding and lost items that plagued the games first month must be pointed out.... Yet you gave the game a very high score.

TSW, a game that you think suffers from the same issues (it does not, not for me anyway) received a much lower score. I really can't seem to understand why.

Journalistic Integrity is there for a reason. People trust what we write and your review of this game simply can't be. That is all.

This is the guy that hated Deus Ex. He gave it a similarly low score. After that point his opinion stopped mattering. Don't post here or make any replies. I am betting he makes money from each reply he gets on here and attracts traffic to his crap site by giving phenomenal games crap scores.

Great response. I only played TSW for about 10 hours but haven't seen any problems either. The graphics are stunning. The story is epic. The PvP is a blast and the combat is fun. That's all you need to know about TSW. This Tom guy probably played the game for 5 hours and "reviewed" it.

Even considering the broken chat system (what is fixed now), the only half working gear manager (still not fixed), the dozen of bugged quests (some fixed, some not), some bugged instances bosses AND under the promise you really dislike the theme, combat system and really really hate ingame shops with cosmetic items there is still no real reason to give the game a 2 of 5.

Don't want to do the work yourself and RTFA properly? There is nothing valid about your concerns.