Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (topic now 200% easier to find)

That’s the opposite for me. I find Nioh 2 much more approachable than Sekiro, and I think Sekiro is pretty hard. They’re fundamentally two very different games, though. In Nioh 2 you have a lot of options in terms of gameplay. In Sekiro, you really don’t - if you don’t master parrying, you can only go so far.

Reminds me of one of my favorite thread titles.

For Nioh 2, don’t forget to block.

Fuuuuuuuu

It’s making me want to reinstall! I’ve played Sekiro 3 times now, each time getting further. This last time I beat Genichiro, felt great, and 5 hours later threw up my hands at Guardian Ape and some magic guy in the depths. I don’t have time for this!

Fuuuuuu

Persevere! Genichiro is probably my favorite, but the last fight sure is something.

It took me 33 hours to beat the final boss, but damn if it wasn’t my favorite boss fight in a game.

Dear god.

I had broken a X360 controller, the left trigger of my still new X controller, and spent 5 hours each on Genichiro and Lady Butterfly. Most of the cheese you can watch on YouTube do not work anymore after 1.06 patch but by God I’ll beat this fucking game even if it may take me more than 33 hours just on a boss alone.

To some personal achievements would mean completing a full marathon, 3K jigsaw puzzle, climb mount Everest. For me, I just want to complete Sekiro.

These things are all of an equivalent challenge.

Sekiro is a cruel mistress and a stern taskmaster.

When I’m not farming skill points, I’m splitting my time between three dead-ends; Lady Butterfly, a giant canyon snake, and a frightening headless in a cave. I got pretty close with Lady Butterfly once but I wouldn’t be surprised if she has multiple forms.

No hints please! It’s me vs. Sekiro.

Note to self: Pencil in about 3 years to finish Sekiro once I finally get it.

It’s really tempting to tell you about 2 of those things but I fear you’ll put me on ignore.

Sekiro was always a weird experience for me… I’d bash my head against a boss for ages, then just give up on the game for a few days. Come back, and beat the boss on literally the first try

Haha!

That’s how it was for me with Nioh 2. I think that’s how it works with a lot of games. Our brains and thumbs have to figure some shit out in our sleep or something.

Well, I figured out how to get past that mean, old snake which was very satisfying indeed! Then I battled Horseman Gyoubu maybe a dozen times before beating him. Then I ran into a big flaming bull and noped out fast.

So I spent a couple more evenings farming skill points to pay for the 5 point medicine improvement and 2 more points for the Ichimonji combat art. Boy, that leaves you exposed for a painfully long moment.

Last night I went running with the bull once more. After I spent some time learning how to gtfo out of his way when he charged, I managed to use the ice patches, firecrackers, and big, stone walls to defeat him. The ability to run as much as you like without draining stamina is such a joy in this game. Makes up for how fragile I always feel.

So now I’ve got Ashina Castle and Reservoir free to explore. I love when this game opens up and you can go into a session ready to explore rather than confront a boss.

Are you playing with Japanese or English voices?

It is very much a Fromsoft game.

Japanese. Is that the right choice??

Yes, absolutely.

Except

I linked this upthread somewhere I’m pretty sure, but the guy who does the English for Oni Gyoubu really just gave it 135%

I love it so much.

WOW.

LOL

Kinda glad I didn’t have to listen to that a dozen times. Just once is enough to last me a lifetime!

I’m still plugging away every night and making steady progress.

So far I have 7 uses of my healing gourd and I’m up to attack power 3. I’ve got most of the combat skills but need to save up for a few more 3-point skills and then the 5-6 point final tier skills. I’ve been farming the hell out of the musket guys by the sculptor’s idol in the sunken valley. Three kills, rest, repeat.

I worked on Lady Butterfly for a while then gave up and played a ton of other areas. By the time I went back for another go, I handily beat her on my second try.

Spent a long while fighting the dude on top of the castle. I got past his first form with almost nothing left in the tank but my thrill of victory quickly dissipated when he transformed into a terrifying lightning guy and he fried me instantly. Seems I have to learn a lightning reversal.

Last night I took care of a big, pompous, armored knight on a bridge. That was very satisfying.

I unlocked a gatehouse in Ashina Reservoir and got a fancy new spear for my prosthetic arm.

Then I found a temple with a creepy centipede priest and killed it easily but it wouldn’t stay dead so I ran away screaming.

I also found a bell that said DO NOT RING. So I rang that bell. I was expecting a fight but I got something else instead. Fortunately, that was easily reversible.

News flash: this is an amazingly fantastic game!

It can help but is not strictly necessary, and the timing is pretty fiddly. Such a great fight, best or second best of the game for sure.