Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (topic now 200% easier to find)

Got to the fight with Owl after the castle is attacked. I’ll probably be here for a while. Bad timing as I still had some gourd to turn in to Emma. Tough enemies everywhere. Especially the rooftops were crawling with purple guys. Taking on just one is a hand full. I think I ended up killing three mini-bosses around the castle. Not sure if there are more. Chained ogre redux was a pain due to the small space. Seems overly grab happy.

Definitely feels like the beginning of the end.

This fight is fucking hard as hell and he doesn’t even do any perilous attacks. What’s the deal! I got in exactly 1 deathblow in over 30+ attempts and I had to spam Mortal blow and use all my spirit essence to do it. (YAY! Dragonrot for everybody!)

Haha this post is great antidote to any feeling of temptation to jump back into this game.

This is gonna take a while. I have to be “in the zone” the entire fight to beat this guy. Deflect like mad because blocking deals extreme posture damage and he is so aggressive and won’t let up. If I get stuck in a corner I am dead. I find my thumb easily slipping off the left analog stick of the Xbox controller. (stupid asymmetric thing).

I watched some videos and will try some suggested strategies. Ichimoji Double until I can get in one deathblow, then switch to Mortal blade to hopefully fuck him up for the second deathblow. I would use this the whole fight if I could but it uses up limited essences.

I did it. I beat the boss. First try after booting the game up today. I must have been stuck in a real funk of lose/lose last time.

I just focused on deflecting all his attacks, and punishing the one attack I knew how to punish. I realized even if I never attacked and just had a strong ratio of deflects to blocks, his posture bar would gradually increase since he kept the aggression up for me. And even if my posture bar increased, getting an Inchimonji double in when I could would lower my posture by a fair margin so I could continue deflecting/blocking without my posture cracking. Deathblow 1 in. Swapped in Mortal Blade and now I was putting serious HP damage on him, which made his posture damage stick like shit to a blanket. Maintained tempo, don’t get greedy and start attacking like a mofo at the end, and Deathblow 2 came to me. Game. Set. Match.

I am now in the “last area” of the game. (according to the achievement I just unlocked). I doubt it is the actual last though. Unresolved situation at the castle.

Great job! I need to get into this again - still some bosses I never beat - perhaps a candidate for my second ever plat trophy

I beat the next boss after a few tries, from what I learned after the fact the hard way. It required a whooping 3 death blows and I fought it down for all three…while also accidentally jumping off the bridge the fight takes place on like three times. Annoying. Unlike other souls games you respawn with some health loss if you fall into a pit. The “we added the ability to jump” so hedge/failsafe!

What I learned after the fact is you can actually perform the first two deathblows via sneaky plunge attacks… /shrug. The boss was “easy” enough.

Starting to wonder if I do in fact understand the game’s instructions.

Your progress pleases us all. Your ancestors are watching you closely.

Which one is this? The monk on bridge? He was pretty rough I think I remember

The very one and the same. You fight the projection before the cave also. It wasn’t that hard compared to other bosses. The first and second phase are the same except for the boss summoning phantoms but all I needed to do was grapple between the trees until they went away. When I got to the third and final phase it was Mortal blade time. That thing wrecks.

Or…I learned after you can cheese the hell out of it.

Looking at my steam friends there are only two that have completed the game and it took them between 55 and 65 hours.

I’m already at 62 hours but still messing around at the Fountainhead Palace. Place is gorgeous and kinda huge.

I just took out “No swimming allowed” Lightning bro and hopefully for the last fucking time another terror shaman inviso-teleporting asshole in a narrow channel where two fish dogs like to wander in.

I laughed at The Divine Dragon. It’s literally a trogdor (dragon with one arm)

So I returned and the castle is on fire with enemies fighting it out amongst each other on the steps, rooftops, inside the castle, and a newly built bridge over serpent valley. It reminds me when the marines in Half-life start fighting the aliens instead of you and you can kind of observe or opt-in as you like. It’s pure chaos and I love it. Also nothing quite like this set piece in any of the other souls games before.

But what the hell is a dark souls boss doing in my Sekiro game? Demon of Hatred.

I give up

Definitely don’t give up because that boss is optional but yeah it’s a rough one. You’re on the home stretch.

Wow, I never even found that boss!

Say it isn’t so, we are all cheering for you!!

In ER there is the area in Caelid just before the bridge to Redmane Castle where the soldiers are fighting the Dino dog monsters. You can watch and get runes for it and join in whenever you want, or not.

Your posts both make me want to play Sekiro and also make me sure I have no business playing it. :)

I beat the dang “dark souls” demon boss finally. It was painfully difficult. Some attacks I never could quite figure out a way to consistently avoid getting hit. His freakin’ perilous dash attack is both super fast and sometimes hard to see/hear the danger kanji prompt before you’re already flat on your face with most of your health gone, and on top of that the boss is now in optimal spacing to really bring the pain. I burned a buddha statue and one of Kuro’s special rice balls to do it, and even then I almost died right at the end when the boss was at like 1hp. I am not doing that fight ever again so long as I live.

In fact I don’t think I will continue on to NG+ if I ever finish the game. Once is enough.

Apparently I missed a hidden part of the story where you revisit The Hirata Estate in a different version of events. I never got the dialog/item needed.

Yeah there are two paths so technically you have to play the game twice to see everything. Or more, I can’t remember. If you’re burned out after this playthrough, I wouldn’t worry about it.

I played it but was even more burned out afterwards, to the point where I only lasted 30 seconds with the DLC before I uninstalled the game.