Self-masturbatory MBA disrupters

I’m not entirely certain, but I think co-living is supposed to have separate leases, responsible for your own room stuff instead of getting screwed out of rent by your roommate. But yes, you are still rooming together in those joined spaces.

I lived in shared space for several years. We each had our own leases and utilities, but shared the bathrooms, kitchen, laundry, etc. It’s kind of nice depending on who you live with. It’s better than sharing an apartment with roommates where you’re all up in each others business.

You must have had a bad batch of blades or were pushing too hard? I’ve been using my merkur razor since highschool and rarely ever get a nick.

I use these blades in it:

https://www.amazon.com/Derby-Extra-Double-Razor-Blades/dp/B004SGKMA0

I use 1 blade per month on average.

I was curious and checked Soylent. Their stuff is now premixed and flavored. Congrats you invented Ensure.

For awhile, iBotta, a grocery discount app I use, was running a $1.50 back for every large bottle you purchased, and Walmart was selling 'em for $2.98. $1.50 for a full meal’s worth of calories and vitamins isn’t a half bad deal, so I kept a good sized stock of em the whole time that promotion ran.

The chocolate and strawberry both are pretty decent tasting, and, IIRC, lower in sugar than most of the Ensures/Boosts/etc. you find.

Ah ok, I didn’t check the labels. I used to buy the powdered version. I abandoned it when they started upping the oil content cuz it was gross.

The Soylent people I know have moved onto using recipes from diy.soylent.com (or something like that.)

Well that has always been a criticism, though iirc their nutrient content is different (higher content per calorie for Soylent)

I don’t think that’s a proper site. Did you mean https://old.reddit.com/r/soylent/wiki/diy ?

? it’s been renamed but it looks like the same database of recipes they showed me a few years ago.

I haven’t actually tried them, so I don’t know how they compare with that subreddit wiki.

Just wanted to steer people away from potentially misleading URLs since Firefox is giving off non-HTTPS warnings at that site, even though it’s a subdomain of the main soylent site.

Has anyone pointed out yet that self-masturbatory is redundant?

No. Regular masturbation you’re usually visualizing someone else. Self masturbation you are getting off thinking about how awesome you are.

I still remember Mr. Cronen, the bald racist Austrian high school teacher who used the term “intellectual masturbation”. I just hit puberty and didn’t know much English so it was a confusing term. He loved Jewish kids and once pulled me over to say “because of the politics he can’t say it but Asian people are the smartest people on earth.”

This article fits here and is a good read.

The author of that article is an idiot. Language evolves over time, and those phrases all mean something. Substitute “simultaneous development” for “parallel path” if you want, or “co-current effort”. The purpose of using common language is to communicate effectively in limited time (i.e. during a meeting). If she went into the military I’m sure she’d hate all the acronyms.

Sounds like she was just too slow to keep up.

This passage tells you all you need to know about her being lost and dumb:

“In theory, a person could have fun with the system by introducing random terms and insisting on their validity (“We’re gonna have to banana-boat the marketing budget”).”

Errr, yeah I guess you can try and confuse people deliberately if you want, dum dum.

Edit:. No offense meant to you personally Clay, just some observations about the article

The fact she doesn’t know what a RACI chart is doesn’t make that tool less real or less useful to business despite being jargon-full. But it doesn’t make her a complete idiot either.

So I think she’s right in some respects, but also stretches her argument farther than it supports because she feels powerless and defensive about the positions she has had in these companies. She has pretty clearly been the low person on the totem pole in many of the places she writes about & feels (probably quite reasonably) bitter about the way she was treated by tech-bro culture.

Business-speak absolutely IS full of unnecessarily complex, blame-shifting, and grandiose-sounding near meaningless garbage. it can also convey ideas and direct employees to action IF you are all in on the shared code. It’s certainly useful if you’re one of the people who’s in a position of relative power.

I found RACI charts useful as a former IT architect & project manager FWIW.

Diego

Jargon can get out of hand, especially when it becomes a substitute for ideas. There are good reasons why many folks cringe at the barrage of business cant that spews forth sometimes. But yeah, specific concepts often need specific language. In academia, it’s easy to lampoon the constant flow of complex language and specialized terms that fill the air, but in many cases, those ten dollar words are needed to express very specific ten-dollar meanings. Other times, sure, simpler language is both possible and desirable.

The example the article cites up front, the “parallel path” one, shows sort of what @Guap is saying. That’s a perfectly good term for developing two versions of a program to account for possible divergent requirements. I

Some really nice observations all the way through this. Jessica Helfland’s point about garbage language and “aspirational authority” is great. And the difference between an exec using made-up words to obscure meaning and gild bullshit, and an intern parroting the same lingo in an attempt to figure it out.

It can get out of control, easily, and it’s specially fun if you have like 3 or 4 people from different industries or companies using the same acronyms but they mean different things.

And then when you mix generations, and you have confusion over conference calls, conference bridges and bridge lines… I just wonder if the term wars really matter when all anyone really needs is just the stupid number to call. Who cares what some else calls it, just… call it.