Sergio Garcia goes Tin Cup at Masters

Dude put five balls in the water at on 15 at the Masters today and shot a 13 on the hole. It’s damn funny. By the end he has this Eeyore look about him. He’s done now, shot an 81 and will almost surely miss the cut unless he has a crazy round 2.

You had me at Tin Cup. I don’t even like golf and it’s my favorite sports movie.

Yeah, that was crazy. During the interview after, Sergio said he didn’t hit one bad shot either. Augusta National is that way, though. Play the wrong shots to the wrong pins, and that happens…

He didn’t just put 5 balls into the water. He put 5 balls in the water in a row!

And just like that, the defending champ is virtually eliminated on the first day.

I remember painfully Jean van de Velde’s Open breakdown from years ago. But doing that at Augusta is a whole other dimension.

In Sergio’s defense, the green seemed incredibly fast and he did seem to hit good shots. It’s just that after a couple rolled off you have to change your tactic and hit it deeper on the green to get it to stick.

Sergio’s weird. He’s whined before about being the victim of bad luck and then there’s the time he spat in the cup after missing a putt. Pretty gross. Oh, and he made this joke about inviting TIger Woods over for dinner: “We will have him round every night. We will serve fried chicken.”

He’s a bit of a whiny putz. I rather enjoyed seeing him put five in the drink.

He’s literally been around as long as Tiger, and he has only won one major, which was last year’s Masters. If not for that, he’s pretty much a has-been in the golfing world, and he deserves it based on the stories about him.

Yeah, he was nailing the green and he did try to hit it wide and deep as well. It just seemed like the green was very fast and he simply couldn’t get the right spin to get a ball to stick.

That’s total rubbish, he’s a popular guy especially in Europe and has won plenty. Not everyone can win a sack full of majors but he has 33 wins which is a lot.

Also one well as part of the Ryder Cup teams over the last X amount of years that have been giving the USA a real kicking.

If you’re a fan of golf, the Masters, or just good sports writing, this entry about the 12th at Augusta is one of my favorite pieces:

https://www.si.com/vault/1990/04/02/121755/the-12th-the-jewel-of-augusta-nationals-back-nine-is-all-a-par-3-should-be-and-more

Lloyd Mangrum called the 12th “the meanest little hole in the world.” Jack Nicklaus calls it “the hardest tournament hole in golf.” Fuzzy Zoeller calls it “the spookiest little par-3 we play.”

More green jackets have been lost at the 12th than at the Augusta City Dry Cleaners. When the Masters comes to shove next Sunday, you can bet somebody is going to walk away from 12 looking as though he had just heard from the IRS. Or 60 Minutes. Tom Weiskopf made a 13 there once. He bounced back the next day with a 7. That was the last time anybody saw him with hair.