Shadows of Doubt - Procgen Immersive Sim Detective Game

I don’t think we can assess that until we’ve spent some time comparing notes with multiple players to see how emergent it actually is. Do the same cases pop up in the same order? Or are they the result of crimes actually happening? If it’s the latter, seems like we could just create the biggest city practical, and stick with it until there’s a major update.

Here’s the real question: what do we call our city? Quartertothrecity?

I’ll try creating one and a thread and we can see what happens. :)

Oh shit, what a great idea.

Oh boy, I spent entirely too long playing this today. I finally figured out how to be a master detective.

I did not realize the game was gonna continue once I caught the first killer, but that is totally awesome.

I got evicted from my apartment, and then I discovered it for sale on a notice board and bought it back. The bastards took my kitchen!

My first randomly generated mission was to find someone who worked at a certain building, 38 years of age, with brown eyes.

So I went to the phone directory and looked up all the businesses in that building, and then I set to work breaking in or socially engineering my way around those businesses to get to the employee files and find someone who matched the description. And I found them!

It feels kinda like… Uplink? I feel like Uplink would give you these kinds of missions, albeit in a very different setting. I fricken loved that game.

It’s also one of those games that turns me into a total scumbag. Very early on I ended up cuffing a homeless guy and beating him senseless to find out how the combat worked. I guess there’s a cop hiding in all of us.

Later I handcuffed a poor woman at her work so I could sort through her employee files. I let her go before I left, but I don’t feel like I’m the hero in this. I’m definitely committing a lot more crimes than I’m solving.

Ha ha, we’re both dumb :)

So is the lighting in this game fully raytraced? I quite like the lo-fi voxel graphics coupled with a great lighting system.

If it isn’t raytraced, it is curious why the game is so demanding. With a 3090 and a 7950X3D (which is little utilised in the game so I am def GPU-bound) playing on 4k regularly dips below 60fps. Although never so much below that I notice much with a gsync monitor.

The game would really benefit from DLSS as the graphics seems easy for a DNN to upscale back to 4k.

Still playing through the tutorial and really enjoying it. The real test for the game will be the procedural missions after the tutorial is over, so will withold judgement until then.

I’m pretty sure it’s fully raytraced.

Does anyone else get some pretty bad screen tearing? If so, any solution?

I think so too. Given that my fps ranges from 37 to 130 depending on the complexity of the lighting and reflections in the environment it seems it is the source of performance issues as well. I am just surprised it isn’t advertised or discussed more, as fully raytraced games will attract 4090 owners for that reason alone.

None, but I am using gsync.

Yep, screen tearing despite v-sync being on.

Also the screen shaking when I’m on the street, like there’s a nearly constant earthquake going on. Don’t know what’s up with that.

That happens to me sometimes. I wonder if it is related to being too cold. I can’t find much info about some of the states the game has, such as cold, beyond knowing when I do or dont have it.

The tutorial case was alot of fun.

I started in the Qt3 sandbox and probably had the most unsuccessful detective career ever:

1 - Started my first job, the client instructed me to go to the payphone on a certain street in 5 minutes exactly and receive his call. I ran outside and failed to find the street he was talking about. Case over. (note: Click F and press on the map button, which will allow you to zoom over the neighbourhood and find the street you’re looking for)

2 - Started a second job about arresting a potentially dangerous individual. Only gave me a few details about the guy but did include his workplace. So I went down there, accidentally tripped an alarm, and on my way to the exit I see the company has a lovely bulletin board with employee photos. I find one that matches the description of the suspect. After some sleuthing I find out where this guy is located, he was eating a burger at the time. I run up to him and make a citizens arrest. Innocent bystanders thought I was a terrorist I guess as they came at me with knives and guns. I beelined to city hall to turn in my resolved case. After letting them know how well I did, I was informed I arrested the wrong person. So you’re saying a company can have two people working for them with short brown hair and glasses? They didn’t cover that in detective school.

Now to restart and try again (for real this time).

The game has some funny glitches. I found a janitor working in a building who swept up some dirty footprints next to a door. After cleaning it he’ll walk through the door, creating dirty footprints in the same place he cleaned them. He then comes back through the door again to clean the dirty footprints. Rinse and repeat.

You might be cold, or have a headache, some other bad condition. You can see currently active statuses on the inventory screen. Bad statuses last longer than I expected. I drank a bottle of bourbon and had a hell of time dealing with it. That makes sense from real life perspective, but it’s not the way games normally treat drunkenness.

The arrest is pretty weird right now. One time I punched them out and was then able to arrest thenm get prints, and talk to them. Other times I arrest them and nothing happens, they just sit there shouting at me.

Yes, it is raytraced and that’s why the GPU requirements are so high. Not sure why you can’t turn it off.

Maybe it’s related to the procedural nature of the level creation? I might be wrong, but I thought one benefit of raytracing was that devs didn’t have to literally place light objects all over the levels to try and imitate real lighting effects.

After playing some more it does seem related to being cold, but feels over the top. I don’t remember The Long Dark shaking me like that. Honestly might be better to turn all those status effects off, not sure what they add to the game.

Anyway, got a job to go to payphone, to find a briefcase, to get the phone number of a person from whom I need to steal an envelope. I called the number and it somehow gave me a full name even though the person who answered didn’t give it, went to apartment from the city directory but there was someone inside who wouldn’t let me in. Went outside to wait for them to leave home, came back to the building, fell through the floor to a restricted area in the basement where the security system killed me.

I’ll try again later and maybe this time will get some of @Tim_N’s more true to life policing experience.

It adds realism to your Hobocop playthrough!

Patch notes for today mention that they’re removed that annoying auto-pause.

This is good, because loitering outside of someone’s apartment for two hours is frustrating when the game keeps opening the case board and pausing every two minutes.

I was in someone’s apartment building when shutters went down over the exit. Do buildings lock down at night? i had just climbed into and out of the ventilation ducts, so I thought maybe I triggered it, but I don’t know. Trying to get out of the building I dropped into someone’s shower and couldn’t jump back up to the vent. They heard me moving around and came to investigate. The combat is…janky. I guess maybe I couldn’t parry their crowbar or whatever with my bare hands. They won and I woke up broke in the hospital. I elected to escape out the window. Can you open those? It seems not, so I just broke it with my fists. Bleeding, I hobbled home and am now getting blood all over my carpet.

The shutters go down if there’s a security alert. So that you can’t escape before the Enforcers get there.

It’s possible it was triggered by a random civ, but it was more likely something you did. If you can find the circuit box you can pick it open and throw the security gate fuse and I think that opens them again. Or you can go out the vents.

I dipped onto someone’s computer in the town hall when they went to the bathroom and accidentally activated the security systems in the middle of the day and they evacuated the building. I think they have the gun turrets in there, so definitely don’t do that.