Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Can we get a do-over on The Mandarin?

My Name is HideousRex, and I approve this message.

To be fair, I say that about most movies.

So as someone who know nothing about this thing, does this tie into the greater MCU at all? Or is it more of a not that we know of right now?

It’s safe to say that it will totally tie into the MCU.

“Pride and Prejudice”, I hope it’s more "Big Trouble in Little China” than “Way of the Dragon”.

“Star Wars: Rogue One”, I hope it’s more "Big Trouble in Little China” than “Way of the Dragon”.

“Happy Feet”, I hope it’s more "Big Trouble in Little China” than “Way of the Dragon”.

Yeah, that checks out.

I mean, there’s no obvious “Shang-Chi + Eternals + Doctor Strange = Team X” connection like there was with the first set of MCU movies (Iron Man + Hulk + Thor + Captain America = The Avengers), but there haven’t been any standalone Marvel movies that remained standalone.

But if you want to know the possible connections, Shang-Chi has been a member of:

• Freelance Restorations
  • Heroes for Hire
  • Marvel Knights
  • Secret Avengers
  • Avengers
  • New Avengers
  • Agents of Atlas
  • Underground

I’ll leave it up to the reader to decide which of those teams are more or less likely to show up in the MCU.

Given the direction F&WS is going, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see some form of the Secret Avengers being formed, in opposition to the mysterious organization being hinted in that series. Sam, Bucky, Valkyrie, Shang-Chi, Ant-Man, Moon Knight (coming to his own series) - maybe even Sharon Carter and Rhodey would be a pretty iconic line-up for the team. But I guess only Feige knows.

Uh, so are the secret avengers, avengers that are in secret, or do they avenge the secrets (that i presume were revealed, because avenging un-revealed secrets seems to compromise their(secret) purpose)…

I dont fault the writers for this, english is mostly a fucked up language that should just be replaced with something a little better organized.

Black ops iirc. I think in the books the team was mostly Skrulls too

The first rule of Secret Avengers…

I just typed out a paragraph incorrectly explaining who the Secret Avengers were because I was thinking of the Secret Warriors. Comic books sure love to name everything with a reference to a previous event/team/character at the expense of clarity.

I bet whoever named the Wii U got their start in comics.

Yeah, it’s always been funny to me that besides “infinity”, which is serviceably unique, Marvel decided that “secret” was the branding they wanted to lean into.

DC’s is “crisis”, I think? Which is fine, I guess.

It stands to reason that the “Infinite Crisis” storyline should have been a Marvel/DC crossover. Sadly, it was not.

And that’s not even considering “Crisis on Infinite Earths”…

Sure it was, it was just a secret.

Disney didnt agree with you. It was successful enough to convince Disney to mimic the VOD release model and use it for future releases. They gushed about it on last years 4th qtr investor call as well. One of the knky bright spots as the had s loss for the first time in 40 years. Think it was around 250 million just from the VOD. Tracking subs generated from it is harder but they saw a 60% uptick In them soon after it released.

It doesn’t help that the Secret Warriors and the Secret Avengers are both black ops teams in responds to the muddled storylines of Secret War, Secret Invasion and Dark Reign.

Comics!

Looks like Disney is trying a new strategy for Shang-Chi and Free Guy (the movie with Ryan Reynolds). In theaters exclusively for 45 days, then it will be available in Disney+ with no additional fee.

https://www.thewrap.com/shang-chi-and-free-guy-will-have-45-day-theatrical-exclusive-window/

I don’t think it’s been established that there will be no extra fee after the 45-days. I’ve seen some movie industry followers complaining that the finance people on the call didn’t do a good job with the questions — since that was left ambiguous and no one asked about it. Also left unasked was whether Free Guy would show up on Disney+ or on Hulu.

Comment does not say “debuting for free” it only says “debuting” which could mean debuting using some form of Premier Access and it also does not specify on Disney+ (Hulu is also a Disney-owed streaming platform). I wouldn’t be surprised to see clarification from Disney on both these points soon though.

It will be free. That’s the point of the 45-day theatrical window. 100% guaranteed.

New trailer is up.

Marvel-universe related spoilery-stuff:

FOOM! (1:36) Though no word on purple pants, so maybe it’s some other, less fashion forward dragon.

Oh, and also

the MCU’s version of the Abomination (from The Incredible Hulk, remember,) feeble pinhead design (but now with fins) and all.

But apparently he’s fighting Wong, so that’s cool.