Silent Running (1972)

I just watched this one. Rated G?? Talk about “thematic elements!”

I don’t understand what’s all that thematic about Jamaicans sledding.

Whoa, both Michael Cimino and Deric Washburn co-wrote Silent Running a few years before they collaborated on The Deer Hunter. Now that’s what I call range! I have to check this out.

I laughed.

And Steven Bochco!

You’re getting confused. This is the one about pesticide use.

Ratings are not what they used to be. I will be always amused by Dragonslayer (The Fire Lake Dragon in Spanish) PG rating.

I think they where more honest as to the real intended public of movies back then.

Bruce Dern is fantastic in that one. Such a lonely film…

Music composed by Peter Shickele whose main claim to fame is his classical music comedy creation, P.D.Q. Bach.

The Joan Baez singing was pretty “in your face.”

With its cover-plate removed during a shooting break, double-amputee actor Mark Persons is visible inside the tiny Drone 1 (Dewey) costume.

That’s pretty hardcore.

The thing that bothered me most about this movie was how at the end, the guys on Earth are like, “we don’t need these totally self sufficient deep space biospheres anymore… So we need to blow them up!”

Like, why not just… Let them float off into space? It’d be cheaper.

If that’s the case, what are they going to do with all those missiles? I mean, you don’t build a battleship and then NOT use it.

That’s the moment when you turn to the nearest pet, who expected this to be like Star Trek or something, and say “we’re not in Kansas anymore”.

One thing that really shocked me in this is that there was a time when we didn’t know what Saturn’s rings were like. As a kid growing up in the 1980s, our children’s books taught us more about the outer planets than anyone knew before Voyager.

That would be space littering!

I saw this film as a young child on the big screen at a 70’s Star Trek convention my trekkie sister dragged me to (maybe she was coerced). Knowing my age/mindset, I think G is appropriate, even back then. I loved it. The suicide/murder etc. concepts flew over my head essentially.

As an aside, I saw many of the classics on the big screen through these cons. (Day the Earth Stood Still became my favorite). Definitely gave me an early opinion of TV vs Movie Theater, and a love for Sci Fi.

I like the movie so much as a 12-year old that I read the novelization, which was decent.

The funny part is that that actor was supposedly not in the least Native American.

Yeah, today that would be an outrage.