Silo: Hugh Howey's Wool series gets a TV show

Episodes 1 and 2 do a lot of flashback stuff to setup things, but episode 3 looks to be where things really start getting interesting. But it’s not out yet, so I’m not sure what the Polygon review is referring to.

I think the reviewer is just referring to the same thing that happens in the books, where we switch protagonists a chapter or so into the first book. Edit: Nope, just watched the first two episodes. Maybe it’s a reference to the different time periods featured in the books?

I forgot he’s even in it. Which character?

P.s. I just watched both episodes and have read the books.

How did you like it @Clay ?

It’s been years since I read the books, and I’ve only done pass through them. I think I’ll start fresh and then check out the series.

I thought it was well done! I think I might have liked an entire episode dedicated to setting up life in the Silo, a black market for relics, the judiciary… I did not think the show conveyed a good sense of place. The first episode might even have included the rebellion from 140 yrs earlier? It’s the mayor’s boogeyman, but feels very detached.

So should I finish the second book before watching the TV series’ first season? I don’t want the show to spoil the book’s surprises. But if the first season is just the first book, then I should be safe.

Based on episode titles, I think the first season is only covering half of Wool so you are more than safe.

I’m reading that Howey was able to expand on the case that Juliette helped Holston and Marnes on, so it’ll be nice to see that backstory fleshed out a bit.

Do the already-published books tell a whole, satisfying story? I don’t want to start reading them and end up frustrated like I’ve been with ASoIaF (AKA the Game of Thrones books-- that old bastard made his pile and doesn’t give a crap about finishing the story anymore).

Yep. Story is complete by the end of Dust. All mysteries explained.

Thanks. I’ll look for a sale on them.

Meanwhile the first episode and some of the second (as far as I’ve gotten) are on point. The question is, are the Silo authorities rigging the exosuits to poison those who leave, or are the “cleaners” succumbing to something like intense radiation?

On my second readthrough, I found a throwaway line relating to that very question. I can’t remember when it’s actually answered, though.

The second episode certainly ends on a cliffhanger or a rope-hanger, rather. I found it a bit unrealistic that skinny Juliette would have the upper-body strength to even attempt such a thing.

I had just reread the trilogy in January - and it is quite excellent - and stumbled upon the show this week.

So far, one episode in, seems like a decent translation of the book, and good quality. I definitely thought Rashida Jones was going to be Juliette.

I think episode 1 does make some jumps in the plot to account for TV. They don’t really dig into stuff so deeply as far as Allison’s motivations in the book - there are some strong hints but left as part of the mystery to unravel. The TV show opens things much earlier than the books, as far as the notion of a larger control of the silo.

Doesn’t Rebecca Ferguson strike most of you as a bit waifish to be a rough and tumble mechanic? She does me.

Her Swedish/British accent pokes through sometimes too. It’s a bit distracting. I guess she grew up speaking English because her mother is/was English. Why didn’t they just have her speak in her native accent instead of trying to do a bog-standard American one?

All that said I’m enjoying the show, and the production values are amazing. I wonder how they create the effect of the silo’s apparent dimensions. How much of a set did they have to build to reproduce it with CGI? This last episode had me on the edge of my seat, freaking out that everything was going to go kerblooey.

Yeah, they did a great job building tension.

“You think this is the sign?”

“I don’t know”

Really? You don’t know if the sheriff nominating you, a mechanic, as his successor, and giving you his badge with a message on the back, is the sign?

Yeah, seems like a big flashing neon one, doesn’t it?

As to Marnes, can we safely assume that he’s toast? Who was the dude pointing the gun at him…have we seen him before? I have only just begun to read the books.

BTW I was struggling to figure out where I’d seen Marnes’ actor before-- then I found out that he was on Falling Skies.

They have really collapsed the book plot compared to the show. Frustratingly in some instances. I don’t recall what you’re asking about Marnes