Six Ages: King of Dragon Pass for the 21st Century

Any idea how touch controls work on this PC version? I’d like to play on my Surface, but don’t want a mouse/keyboard /etc. in my way. Or should I wait for the unannounced Android port (years later, like the first game)?

Not that anyone here needed any extra incentive to purchase the game, but the PC reviews are off to a good start with high praise from PC Gamer.

I have no idea what that “update for the modern world” thing is about (as the review notes, it plays almost identically to KoDP), but maybe they are talking about this, which is relevant to some people’s interests:

unlike the 2015 Steam re-release of Dragon Pass, it feels like it has been designed to be used with a mouse instead of a touch screen

or maybe it’s just headline BS as usual.

On my radar, will no doubt buy soon!

From what I read, they added tool tips. Other than that it’s essentially the same game.

So I played KoDP a few years ago and bounced off it a bit, but want to give it another go. Is Six Ages enough of an evolution that I should just play it instead?

It’s tough to recommend from a gameplay perspective. It’s more straightforward, but it still requires you to do your homework. If you’re a Glorantha fan, the setting and ideas of Six Ages are just amazing.

What left me cold in KoDP was having to memorize the legends. Is that still part of the gameplay?

Yes and no. You had to learn what the myths were trying to convey, not what was exactly happening, which I thought was a brilliant representation of oral tradition and varieties in mythologies and a nice way to introduce the world. There is the same mechanic here, although I think it’s not as crucial as it was in KoDP, given that the relations of the people with the gods are different.
But both are games about a people’s lore and their world view, so if that aspect doesn’t hold interest for you, I think it’s perfectly fine to not enjoy them.

Hell yeah there are heroquests. I’ve only done one, about singing cows, and it wasn’t as demanding as some in the first game, memory-wise, but heroquesting is an indescribably huge part of Glorantha, so yeah it’s in the game.

Could you – or someone – clarify a bit further? Am I going to have to answer questions about the myths from memory, such that this elderly brain really will need to take screen shots of the information so as to make headway in the game? Or do I simply need to make clan decisions in line with the lessons of the legends (which makes total sense to me)? Or something in between?

For me, this is the difference between a buy and a pass.

I’m not sure if heroquesting is strictly mandatory, but to draw on the singing cows example, like the cows get scared because the sun doesn’t come back and you have to remember, gee, I’m supposed to sing them a song about courage, and moving to a new place or something similar. I think if your quester is strong (and lucky) enough, there are multiple ways a myth can play out, but there is definitely a bit of “memorization” involved, although for me it feels more like learning a new culture than memorizing, like, multiplication tables.

IIRC, the rituals don’t always correspond completely to the legend, so trying to make decisions in line with the legends is probably the best approach. However, the questers skills are a big factor in rituals and if your hero is skilled enough, you can divert from the legends and still succeed.

Still, it’s probably a good idea to brush up on the legend before attempting a ritual. You can do this in-game (once you have actually learned the legend).

I’d like to emphasize the reverse is also true: you can reenact what seems like a near-perfect Heroquest and fail at it because the link of the quester with the deity was too weak or she was simply inept for the task. It can be frustrating if you aren’t mentally prepared for that to happen ;)

That too. It’s important to know where the beliefs of your clan lie, and which god you should trust or be wary of, amongst other things.

Edit: or order the official guide book.

Ha ha ha. No.

Absolutely yes.

Watching a Let’s Play some of the text looked awfully light against the background. Is that really the case,or is it just me?

Never had any issue on the iPad, and lord knows my eyes are tired.
Can you link the Let’s Play?

Honestly, tool tips are probably worth like $5 all by themselves to me.