Sixth star added to ratings system to accommodate Saints Row IV

Saints Row IV is an epically meta mindfuck of a love letter to fans of Saints Row, which is to say an epically meta mindfuck of a love letter to videogame power fantasies. Profane, indulgent, sleek, varied, luminous, familiar, new, and brimming with the joy of chaotic chaos. No one does open worlds like Volition. And almost no one does self-referential humor like Volition, a studio that vaults gleefully over the top, cackling madly the whole time, without leaving the basics behind. If you don’t fall head over heels in love with Saints Row IV, you are a little dead inside. Also, I can’t be your friend anymore.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2013/08/19/sixth-star-added-to-ratings-system-to-accommodate-saints-row-iv

Is that a screenshot of Tom with Dingus and Kelly Wand?

I knew Kelly was a lady!

rrrrrrrrrrrr

Inverted skinholes? No wonder it took so much work to get this thing cleared in Australia.

how much will I miss the shuandi loyalty mission? Should I be trying to import an overseas copy?

Mother of God. I must play this game. I loved SR3.

I'm installing SR The Third right now. It was part of a ridiculous Humble Bundle that included Risen 2 (which I love) and Metro 2033 (which I like a lot).

I've read a fair amount of complaints regarding SR4 being not divergent enough from SR3. I guess that doesn't matter much to me at this point, but I will probably get my fix from this one. Plus I'm using an older video card atm

And now I'm reading that many of the fans prefer SR2... which also came in the bundle.... Which to install... I have enough time for one Saint's Row game total in my life.

I wonder if Metacritic would show your score as a 120/100 if you really did end up with six stars.

It sounds like you enjoy pure adulterated fun and chaos in a open world setting with the more I read of your reviews. I found the ability to break the game and do whatever I want to be the most fun in Just Cause 2, or how I enjoyed infamous 2. It makes me curious how you will review GTA V and if it will compare to what you think of Saint Rows 4 or be a completely different product, both doing their own thing. I don't mean to be "that guy" but a little bit of seriousness never hurt anyone either. Its why I couldn't enjoy Saints Rows 3 as much as I enjoyed Saints Rows 2. I'll still probably enjoy 4 but prefer if it were more inline with 2.

I mean I love randomness and unexpected things in my open world sandboxes too, but alittle law and order isin't too bad. I prefer to be the instigator and disturbing the peace and create bits of chaos on my own. But when things are trying to be silly and serious I only end up confused. Sort of like some of these reviews.

Just throwing this out there, I actually agree with your TLoU review for the most part. It left a longing feeling inside me and I personally felt as if it dragged on for far too long as it consisted of more or less similar encounters. Not a game I would likely come back to. The interactions were the most memorable. Same with starhawks lack of identity. My love of the game crawled to a slow and painful death and even though I would originally deny that the game was incredibly flawed it soon dawned on me that rules and regulations are natural and are necessary in the structuring of team based competitive gameplay.

That being said, I still think that your Twisted Metal review was handled unprofessionally and was a poor review. The tutorials sufficed and explained everything even to a newcomer like me whos never played any entry in the series before. I was able to teach 2 other players and a veteran who played the PSP game the new things (boost was tapping square and holding it twice, and L1+R1 to jump was something I also told them). 2 things I explained in less than 10 seconds. The rest they figured out themselves.

I learned all of that in the basic tutorial. Not the vehicle tutorials that show you the special commands. The game has enough demerits to warrant a poor rating , but alot of information and the fact that you stand by your opinion that the tutorials did a poor job of explaining everything is factually incorrect.

So tom not long before GTA review.

Will it be 1,2 or 3 stars?

"break the rules breaks." Typo?

I'm sure whatever he gives it, unless it's five stars, idiots will come here to bitch and flame. Even before they ever play the game.

"I've read a fair amount of complaints regarding SR4 being not divergent enough from SR3."

As you also seen a fair amount of complaints that saints row 3 was severely lacking content comparison to 2, to which i said NEW ENGINE, MADE FROM SCRATCH. Personally i would accept a sequel packed with content rather sequel that lacks content and stands on its new graphics alone.

How come no one whinned about how samey the first 5 tomb raider games were and how they had annual releases?

I cant see any part in the review describing the game mechanics or how big/small the game is.

How long is the campaign?

No

The story is about ten hours but i'm not sure about the side missions

So which do you prefer - 2 or 3?

If its 10 hours of varied good missions then its great, cant say the 10/10 gta iv got me with its repettive borring missions.

2 was the best.