Skyline: Cloverfield in Los Angeles?

I also watched this on Netflix streaming. At least most of it. Decent special effects and nice try for a plot, but it’s ruined by horrible characters and acting.

Frankly, I couldn’t bother watching the last 30 minutes. Doesn’t sound like I missed anything.

You got much farther than I did.

I turned it off after 15 minutes of:

“A Jim-Bob Film”

fading into

“Some Brothers Production”

fading into

“Some other guy Production”

fading into

“Random studio name presentation”

fading into

“Buncha Dudes Company film”

fading into…etc, etc, etc

How many people, studios or production companies were called out in the intro? I think this film may have set a record for sheer number. It became very tiresome.

I’ve learned to skip all that and shave 10 minutes off every movie. With DVD/Blu-Ray you have to FF, but Netflix is awesome because you can simply pause and quickly “cursor” over to the frame where the credits end and a scene comes up.

underrated movie. everybody who deserved to die… DIED! so much better than that stupid alien LA Battle US Marines recruitment movie.

at least in Skyline teh Mom wins! (supposedly).

No it really isn’t.

No the production company is still around. This movie clearly didn’t kill that.

I watched this a few months ago and found it to be one of the absolute worst movies I’d seen in quite a long time. I’m unable to think of a movie that I’ve seen in the last few years that I disliked more than this one. I ended up watching the last 45 minutes or so at varying fast forward speeds. I did want to see the stupid end to the stupid movie I’d already wasted 45 minutes on. I’m just glad it only took me 10 to 15 minutes to do so.

Skipping the end of this movie is a mistake, as it has one of the craziest, trainwreck endings ever.

That said, I don’t revile this movie like so many people here do. It’s definitely third rate, and feels like an episode of Outer Limits, except with really good effects work – but I kinda love the aliens attacking/end of the world/survivalist genre. Give it a 2.8/10.

It wasn’t as insultingly stupid as Independence Day either - unsure how anyone can give that movie a pass and yet call this one dumb (unsure if anyone is, so that may be a straw man statement). But pretty much every summer movie is as stupid, although this year we’ve had more passable movies than usual.

Yeah, the ending to this movie is just batshit off-the-wall insane. If you’re going to stick through some of the movie, at least watch the nutty ending.

I watched this.

:(

I’m watching this now. The subtitle should be “Douchebags in Peril”.

This is coming up soon on Paul Scheer’s How Did This Get Made? podcast, so I thought I’d give it a watch. And… it’s terrible. If there was ever a movie that could be said to be objectively bad, I believe it’s this one. That said, though, it’s precisely the kind of bad that I find weirdly compelling and watchable.

For one thing, “bad” doesn’t really even cover it. It’s aggressively bad, striding confidently past such pedestrian bad movies like, say, Legion or Ghost Rider. It’s so bad it pushes into gonzo territory, the kind of bad that springs forth from the gooey id of film-makers who exist in a state of Eden-like ignorance. The Brothers Strause have never eaten from the tree of narrative logic. I forgive them, for they clearly know not what they do. What I found myself drawn to, blue-alien-light style, is how the combination of visuals and illogic narrative makes a feedback loop that feels like watching one of my nightmares. (As a Cold War kid, I would often dream of cities being destroyed by nuclear weapons or invasions, while I could only watch helplessly. And lemme tell you, this nailed it.)

Don’t get me wrong - I’m not saying this is a secretly-great movie or anything. But I find it fascinating that movies like Skyline, like any number of semi-forgotten VHS classics from my youth, can sometimes stumble into tones and emotional places that saner movies made by saner people can’t reach.

Hehehe. I like that, DoomMunky.

I also recently streamed it on netflix. Was prepared for the worst but I guess I can imagine worse. Really liked the graphics on the big stompy monster. I wouldn’t recommended it but I confess, I kind of liked the ending.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the sequel gets made. According to box office mojo, it cost about $10 mil to make and grossed $66 mil total ($22 mil domestic). So unless the arbitration and marketing costs were outrageous, it was a pretty good return on investment.

On the one hand, oh man, this was pretty bad.

On the other hand, I was consistently much more entertained and amused than Sucker Punch managed.

On the third hand, the ending would have been best completed by being played off by Keyboard Cat.

Hands aside, my two favorite moments were whatshisnuts explaining that they can’t stay there because they’re without water or power, approximately two minutes after watching the military strike on a UFO on bigcreen television; followed very closely by the “day 3” showing the Statue of Liberty for unironic New Yorker cartoon-level subtext. (The aliens have harvested both Los Angeles and New York City! That means they destroyed the whole world!)

Close runner-up for doing the 14 Hours Earlier! flashback framing for absolutely zero reason whatsoever.

Oh my God. WHY???

“Based on the worldwide blockbuster”… lolololololol

Looks way better than the original!

How long has this been in the can? There used to be a movie podcast I listened to called The Golden Briefcase and the writer/director of this was on, talking about how he basically got all he could have wanted when he got Iko Uwais.

That was at least three or four years ago.

Does it?

I think Skyline and Battle: Los Angeles get conflated in my mind. Skyline was the one that ended (post-credits) with the hero’s brain being implanted - for whatever reason - in the body of an alien and running amuck, right?

Yes. Skyline had the gonzo-crazy ending that set up a alien monster fight sequel. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like this sequel is going to actually go there. This seems to just shuffle us off to another person’s story that starts back at the beginning of the invasion.

Man, it would be pretty great if the brain-switched alien beast shows up in this one!

This one has Frank Grillo. So yeah, it looks better. Not saying much, but w/ Grillo and Iko Uwais the dude from The Raid, I expect I’ll see this.