Skyrim Special Edition

Heads up on the free preview weekend. I think it’s live on box Xbox One and Steam.

I’m curious to see how different it looks from vanilla Skyrim. Or, to be more accurate, the vanilla Skyrim in my memory.

Skyrim still looks fucking great on PC. Best RPG ever.

Yeah, I’ve been thinking about firing it up again this weekend. That will probably begin my 300th hours or so? The Xbox One version is probably the best one these days - All the mods, easy to put on the big screen!

Steam Link works great as well, FWIW.

Sure - but I don’t have that :-)

Ahh, gotcha. Sorry man. :(

I love gawking at the interior architectures. There are some quests that take you to mini fortresses under ground and the dwemer ruins are almost always awesome especially if they have a lot of water.

Which is a damn shame since it has been so long and other than the W3, what other really good open world RPGs have come out since then?

I can’t think of any recent RPG’s that even remotely compare to Skyrim or W3. Kingdom Come might be our best hope.

As do I. There is a player made location within the mod known as Falskaar that blew my mind. That mod itself is somewhat mediocre, but huge. But the location starts with you visiting a monk who sends you off to find a book. Eventually that lands you heading in to a place called Watervine Chasm, in what appears to be a small and standard bandit cave exploration. But then you kill the very first bandit and find information on him that he’s the first one sent back to guard the entrance, because it appears the bandits have found the motherload deeper down the path.

Naturally you explore further, and as you do it slowly becomes more of a Nordic ruin location, with huge caves containing large buildings and ruins as well. Quite some distance in, you stumble into a huge chamber with an underground river. At the end of this you find a door, leading to yet another dungeon, the Halls of the Dead.

At this point you’re linking into a full on Draugr ruin, and like the previous location, it’s full of large areas with large encounters and a mini-boss battle that throws quite a bit of a fight your way. But after killing the mini-boss, you realize there are stairways leading down, so onward you go.

The stairs eventually lead down a path that leads to a door to yet another location, the Ruins of Vizemundsted, a full-on Dwarven ruin location. Again you fight your way through multiple enemies and eventually a final boss whereupon you finally find that book you’ve been searching for, and, quite thankfully, a lift that takes you straight out of the dungeon. You emerge some halfway across the map of that already huge island the mod is based in.

It took me literally a day the first time I played through that, as it was an Inception-like dungeon within a dungeon within a dungeon. I probably swapped out my inventory 20 odd times trying to balance what the best loot was I could hobble around with prior to finally getting out of there.

It was incredible. I only wish the rest of that mod had been a little better overall, but it highlighted just how fun and white knuckle the dungeon setting within Skyrim could be.

I was just there the last time I played, actually! SO amazing!

It made me wish that there was a little more of that in the vanilla Skyrim, though I can understand why they didn’t do so. It is a bear on inventory management and supplies.

If anything, the vanilla locations are too easy on you as a 20-30 minute in and out style approach. Sometimes I really do want to be engrossed in something for a while.

Don’t worry, Elex is out in five weeks. Only half joking. ;)

I was excited when first heard of that title, then I saw who was making it. Ny expectation is that it will be quite bad.

I didn’t get much past that dragon escape intro in Skyrim last weekend. But boy, I’d forgotten how janky and terrible animations looked in Skyrim.

That’s my biggest hope for next elder scrolls, plus please make it so every box doesnt sound alike.

Please make it so every other NPC doesn’t sound alike :/

That’s what I meant. I have no idea why autocorrect changed that =)

Or look alike. Or behave alike.

Search for the old version of Skyrim in the Steam store. No longer there.

Meanwhile, on the Special Edition’s store page…