Skyrim Special Edition

Is there even the slightest whiff of rumor of chatter of a TES VI? Or did ESO put an end to the single player series?

I mean it’s been 2 years since Fallout IV. What’s Bethesda up to, anyway?

Guess I dove into that one.

I guess I missed the boat on the free Survival Mode thing they created. Not sure if I would have wanted it anyways, but for free I should have moved faster.

Don’t hold your breath.

“They didn’t want to be the developer that was just Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Fallout for the rest of their development careers.”

I’d have been happy if they were just Elder Scrolls, Elder Scrolls, Elder Scrolls.

Oh well.

The rumor is that the next big game is going to be a space game called Starfield.

I’d still be playing ESO if their dumb combat team hadn’t nerfed my magicka melee NB into the plane of Oblivion. :)

I would rather have entirely new worlds than iterations 6 onwards of the same one. even if it’s different parts. Not that I don’t enjoy the revisits.

I am intrigued and wish to subscribe to their newsletter

It’s a big world, though. We haven’t been to Stros M’Kai since Redguard, etc.

If they want to start another epic fantasy franchise in some other setting, that’s fine too. It’s just not many other people are doing these kinds of huge first/third-person CRPGs. CD Project Red, Pirahna Bytes with the requisite jank. Not too much else that I can see.

I agree, but more in the sense of giving an IP time to cool off between games. It’s actually something I think Bethesda handles well.

It’s been 6 years since Skyrim, which was 5 years after Oblivion, which was 4 years after Morrowind.

That’s cooling off enough IMO!

I do not care if the next game is ES or not. What I want is the next open world exploration RPG. It could be the first installment of “Biff the technomancer in the land of Rainbow Unicorns” for all I care. However, creating an new IP from scratch does have the problem of creating all the back-story to bring the world together, both of which are plentiful in ES and Fallout.

Fuck, now I want to see a Biff the Technomancer game.

You’d better be a dev, dude.

Space game? What? Hi!

I biffed all the technomancers I ever wanted to in Technomancer.

TMI, dude!

I mean, sure, it’s not like there isn’t room for them to tell more stories in Tamriel (or the post-apocalypse of Fallout, for that matter), and there is a certain satisfaction to doing deeper delves into a setting that’s already been built up in previous games. But there is a different, and in my opinion significantly stronger satisfaction to exploring the parameters and workings of a brand-new setting, and there’s scope for changing the gameplay as well in a way that, I mean…you -can- do with existing franchises. But generally you’re better off being much more conservative. I still massively resent the changes from Mass Effect 1 to 2 and I am far from the only one. Even with Elder Scrolls, which hasn’t been quite as dramatic from a single game to the next (at least, since Morrowind…), there are things they’ve left along the wayside that I really miss but probably wouldn’t have expected from a new franchise.

And the fact that hardly anyone else is doing this style of game (and frankly, even when they are it’s pretty different) is all the more reason I want to see them free to do other types of setting in this style. Space-y SF. Maybe steampunk, or fantasy-laced piracy, or urban fantasy, or Ravenloft style gothic horror, or…

It’s not like they have to drop either franchise forever. Just mix it up some. Stretch their legs. Heck, while they’re taking on other projects, maybe let some guests play in their worlds like Obsidian did with New Vegas. (I’d love an Obsidian-made Elder Scrolls.) License it out to pros, or use their Creative Club or whatever it’s called to hook some talented modders into big officially supported story-based adventures in Skyrim’s engine. Etc.

I just hate to see developers locked into doing the same damn thing (and let’s face it, even a resituated Elder Scrolls game is mostly the same thing) for decades on end. It’s why I was really excited when Bungie left Microsoft. Under Microsoft, they’d been doing Halo and nothing but for over a decade and it was really dispiriting to see that happen to a studio that started off doing like six wildly different games, all various degrees of awesome, some of which got followups, some of which didn’t. I was so hoping they could go back to that kind of wild, unfettered creativity. And then they turned right around and signed up to do another Halo-style shooter (albeit MMO-style) for another decade plus with Destiny. At least it’s a different world with different lore. :(

Ok, well, let me put it this way then. It would be nice if Bethesda made another single player fantasy RPG, because I like to play single player fantasy RPGs.

But hey, life will go on regardless.

Someone is the target demographic for the Two Worlds II dlc…