Skyrim: The Builds Thread!

Yes, but only to type in text fields. Microsoft will not allow it to be used in any game as a control method.

No, I’m on Master. For a while, Mages were the only thing that gave me trouble, and the Lord stone mixed with some Magic resist enchantments took care of that problem.

Smithing was the key to my success - incredibly easy to level that up to max and doing so makes it trivial to simply outgear the leveled content.

Boring and doesn’t fit the character.

Well, it’s the best perk in the game from munchkin perspective. But yes, don’t get it. I’ve stayed away from it (despite there being times when I REALLY wish I had it) for that very reason.

Yeah, for TES games you have to impose restrictions on your character or it just gets too easy (or too same-y). I wish they’d bring back the Daggerfall-esque Strengths/Weaknesses thing where you could mark stuff as “forbidden,” which meant your character could never equip it. I can’t remember if they did the same thing with magic schools.

That said, restrictions/RPing aside, Hunter’s Disciplines (get more arrows back) and Ranger (move faster with a drawn bow) are both right up there on the worthless scale.

I dunno, I sometimes wish I could move faster with a drawn bow when leading some targets, or moving backward while aiming/firing.

I’m not too worried about “worthwhile”. I can always get those perks later after I get the more utilitarian stuff down. As long as I can survive, that’s fine. It’s the play style that matters.

Yeah, I know. We’re talking from a min-max powergamer perspective here. Yes, that doesn’t fit the experience and the spirit and you don’t know why anyone would choose to play that way etc etc etc. I know. Everyone knows. It’s why every Stealth Archer feels dirty when they go to sleep at night.

Let’s not go off into the “journey versus destination” bullshit though. Right now the subject is just destination.

don’t look pogo.

you don’t need to max sneak to access that power, you get it for finishing thieve guild quest as well.

Hey, thanks asshole. Real nice.

Pardon? I didn’t say anything about that. Those are my opinions. If people want to go around one-shotting things, who am I to argue? It’s a single player game, what the shit do I care what people are doing with their builds in that regard?

That was totally broken too. I’d forbid myself from using iron armor in exchange for regenerating mana.

Yeah, I was assuming it’d be better balanced than Daggerfall.

Ugh. More reason to shelve the stealth character the second I’m done with Thieves and Dark Brotherhood.

I know the lockpicking skill itself is probably worthless to spend perk points on but are none of these worth it:

QUICK HANDS: Able to pick locks without being noticed.
GOLDEN TOUCH: Find more gold in chests.
TREASURE HUNTER: 50% chance of finding special treasure.

Everyone must also resist re-loading when things don’t go your way ("90% cap on chance to steal means you’ll be loading your save a fuckton") or resorting to violence because it’s easier (“And yeah, you can just kill the witnesses, but if you’re going to do that, why didn’t you just kill the guy in the first place?”).

Come on people, if you’re going to roll a thief character, play like one!

In case you don’t read the spoiler thread: it sounds like all is not lost. There are choices and you don’t have to take any of them.

Further breaks the stealth AI.

GOLDEN TOUCH: Find more gold in chests.
TREASURE HUNTER: 50% chance of finding special treasure.
Already discussed (as usual!). They’re only necessary if you really want to roleplay a character who pulls in a ton of cash.

Exactly. We want to have some challenge and game “realism” here. Otherwise it gets boring. Everyone knows this.

Sneaking allows you to pick locks without being noticed.

Gold is seriously not a problem in this game.

And finally, all the good items are either named and unique (and thus not affected by this perk) or come from smithing and enchanting, not random items in chests.

I think it freezes time. But with this perk, wouldn’t they still see you entering a building you don’t own or stealing from the container you just picked with your quick hands?

I probably don’t want to know. I’m barely preserving the illusion of AI as it is.

Doesn’t lockpicking freeze time anyway?

Lockpicking does freeze time, yes. So go in sneak mode and check that nobody sees you, then pick away. As long as that little eye is closed, nobody can see a thing.