Sleepy Hollow

If Jerry Seinfeld has taught us anything its that you can live in the 21st century and still dress as a pirate.

lol, my wife had the same reaction. “Does he have a closet full of period-appropriate clothes we don’t know about? Or is he wearing the same ‘I was wearing this when I died’ outfit day in and day out? He must smell ripe”

They could have a lot of fun as a running gag with him wearing wildly incorrect modern clothes that he thinks are fashionable due to his out-of-place asthetics.

Scorpions to the stomach? Ouch - well, anything to get dressed-for-cold-new-england Cute Tiny Cop to strip down a bit, so I’m not complaining. But yeah, get Ichabod down to the thrift store for something that smells less like a 200 year old grave. But then, I doubt police are allowed four inch heels just to keep them in the frame with the tall co-lead, so let’s just go with the fantasy element on clothing…

I’ve been enjoying this so far. The lead actor is very watchable, something about his expressions and his delivery make every line better than written in the script. The story is also interesting, if a bit ham-fisted, and lends itself to the every week serial format while still having lots of breathing room for the overall plot. Suspension of disbelief needs to be strong, not just at all the supernatural stuff concentrated on one “sleepy” little town, but also that someone who awoke 250 years after the Revolution wouldn’t be terrified of everything modern instead of just railing about 10% bakery taxes while speeding along in an automobile. I mean, it’s not like in 1775 they had science-fiction stories and television shows that envisioned the future like we do now. Someone from 2013 that awoke in 2250 might actually be able to pull off the sort of bemused non-chalance mixed with occasional wonder that Crane is pulling off thanks to exposure to sci-fi prepping them for drastic changes.

I too agree that he’ll need a change of clothes very soon. Although in a town like Sleepy Hollow there are probably some re-enactment and theater shops that could keep him clothed in the styles he’s acustomed to…

Not a closet full of period clothing, but a cave full.

My first thought was: “Scorpions? In upstate New York?”

Tim Mison totally makes the show. Without him, the show’s ridiculousness would sink it. But he completely sells every line he delivers, so I want to believe… ;-)

He does, doesn’t he? He’s utterly earnest and totally into his character. I’m enjoying this now.

The cast is good so far. It shows the difference in selling an outlandish premise between this and say, Agents of Shield.

I thought the fourth episode was pretty weak. Tiny cop woman didn’t seem very engaged with the fairly ridiculous plot, although I don’t really blame her. Hollow’s spin on the Roanoke mystery was inferior to a similar Supernatural episode five-six years ago that was much more menacing. Here, no one really seemed to much care about the crisis. The only thing I found interesting was ex-boyfriend cop’s call to Oxford, in which the woman who answered confirmed that Crane was on the faculty there. I wonder how they arranged that?

Yeah, weakest episode so far. Pestilence seems pretty lame-ass. I did enjoy the Middle English.

I found it to be an entertaining episode. I enjoyed the Roanoke bit, but somebody screwed up on the research as Middle English had pretty much completely disappeared from general use by the late 1400’s and Roanoke was settled in the late 1500’s, a century later, when Early Modern English was the main language both spoken and written by everyone who would have been a colonist (many would also have spoken French and/or Spanish). I suppose it made for more compelling and creepy TV to have the kid speak something only Crane would understand.

I found the phone call curious as well, but I suspect more than just a couple of folks in Sleepy Hollow know that Crane has returned, and just as we saw the Hessians working to bring about the apocalypse last week, we will find that Katrina’s organization likely still exists as well and will show itself as an ally for Crane and Tiny Cop soon enough.

Yeah, Roanoke was contemporaneous with Shakespeare and Good Queen Bess, so that bothered me as well. I understand that it was an excuse to display Ichabod’s erudition, but I would have been more impressed if the writers did a modicum of basic research.

Episode 4 certainly wasn’t the strongest episode (somewhat boring plot, lame villain, and the actors weren’t bringing it as they had in prior episodes), but it’s still better than most of the other action crap this season by a solid mile. Maybe a few miles.

I sorta liked the mysterious disease / hidden colony now found story.

And now Crane has a place to live, but still needs new clothes. :p

Just because it isn’t accurate doesn’t mean they didn’t do the research. The existing plot simply wouldn’t have worked with Shakespearian English.

Exactly my point. Good writers make plots that fit the facts instead of twisting facts to fit the plot.

I figure either Mison or one of the writers knew enough middle English that they figured they could have some fun with it, regardless of historical accuracy. But yeah, I immediately thought that that wasn’t correct - it would be early modern English at that time.

Imagine, for example, had the boy spoken in iambic pentameter instead. ;-)

Repeat this week? WTH? Baseball I suppose?