Sleigh Tracks, 2023 (holiday tunes, 2023)

Hey y’all, know it’s a little late this year, but for anyone who partakes, here you go!

Sleigh Tracks 2023

Ye olde track liste:

1. Miley Cyrus “Santa Baby”

2. The High Strung “Here Comes The Cheer”

3. The Boy Least Likely To “The Wassail Song”

4. Aimee Mann & Ted Leo “Nothing Left To Do (Let’s Make This Christmas Blue”)

5. Matt Pond PA “This Winter”

6. Lola Kirke “Cross You Off My List”

7. The Leisure Society “Christmas Mistakes”

8. JD McPherson “Every Single Christmas”

9. The Ethiopians “Ding Dong Bell”

10. Bob Marley & The Wailers “Sound The Trumpet”

11. Black Pumas “Christmas Will Really Be Christmas”

12. Clarence Carter “Back Door Santa”

13. Peaness “Kiss Me, Sweetpea”

14. Au Revoir Simone “Fallen Snow”

15. The Waitresses “Christmas Wrapping”

16. The Great Escape “Season of Love”

17. Green Day “X-Mas Time Of Year”

18. The Elephant Stone “Another Year Gone”

19. Aretha Franklin “Winter Wonderland”

20. The Beths “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas”

21. Vale Shane MacGowan

tenor (1)

Woot! Thanks, @triggercut :)

Happy to see the best Christmas song of all time in this year’s mix!

“You mean you forgot cranberries too?”

Not sure if serious (I unabashedly love it, myself), but a heck of a lot of the Waitresses’ material is surprisingly strong.

Although they didn’t last too long, Wasn’t Tomorrow Wonderful and I Could Rule the World If I Could Only Get the Parts are genuinely good collections.

There was already a metric shit-ton of musical talent and songwriting chops in that band even setting aside Patty Donahue, who was like adding Shohei Ohtani to the Dodgers.

This is the only Christmas themed song I really only care to listen to anymore. OK, that and The Kinks’ “Father Christmas.”

100% serious. That and Father Christmas by The Kinks are my two favorites.

There was a fun video about the Waitresses and the song “Christmas Wrapping” that came out a few days ago. I didn’t know they started out as an “imaginary” band.

That’s so cool! I knew the Waitresses were basically Chris Butler + Patty Donahue as the not-so-secret glue-sauce, but I didn’t realize he had to suddenly put together a real band in place of the notional one.

With “Christmas Wrapping” and “I Know What Boys Like” as their two hits, it’d be easy enough even now to summarize them as a novelty act, and I guess there is something of that element there. Some of their other tunes are real bangers, though, and it’s all interesting stuff.

Which is funny, because I love love love Christmas Wrapping but hate hate hate I Know What Boys Like.

Thanks again @triggercut ! A wonderful annual treat, again!

Great mix this year, Trig! They’re always great but this one is well-above-average in its greatness. We’ve been wrapping gifts and chomping sweet treats and singing along to it for the past couple days.

Merry Christmas!!

Thank you as always, Chris!

This year, while revisiting your oldies, we realized 2006 may be our favorite! Stevie’s tune hits extra hard this year, but there isn’t a miss on the whole thing.

I say that only to take the opportunity to mention how important your mixes are to our holiday traditions, and how long this damn thing has gone on!

We are looking forward to listening to this new one when we get back home for second Christmas on Wednesday!

You mean the “lights, please?” mix?? That’s an absolute classic and we’re listening to it right this very moment. It’s a good thing that the Linus mix is so good because that’s obviously the all-time best intro/outro and can never be topped.

That’s it. And it’s an all-time intro for sure, though Kimmy Liston runs a close second in our house.