Slitherine Announces Gladius - Relics of War

Has anyone played recently, I know they patched the Tyranid DLC so it was a more balanced faction.

Also it looks like the new Chaos Marine dlc is 28% off if you own all the other game content.

Anyone surprised by Chaos?

Anyway, I bought this, played it, enjoyed it immensely, shelved it, unshelved it and was baffled by everything. :(

I’m not seeing that discount level. Just the 10%. Do you have to own the soundtrack and wallpaper DLC too?

Yeah it says I own 6 of 7 items in the complete edition. :)

Lk this is on sale atm — what do you think? is the base game a worthy champion of turn based tactics? I always liked the Tau in this universe and they haven’t arrived yet I guess.

As a city builder, it’s pretty average but it shines in small unit tactics. If you liked the Warlock series, you’ll notice a similar vibe.

It is an turn based RTS (Yes I know that Oxymoronic) with respectable AI. I enjoyed it a lot, but I don’t know if the DLC is interesting enough for me to bother. It made a fair number of top 10 list last year, including my own.

I think it’s a great game. Steam says I’ve got 84 hours in so far. Just be aware that it’s all fighting. There’s no diplomacy.

Other than that as @Strollen says, it’s got quite a good AI. The units are good and varied and the tech tree is deep enough that you’ll end up getting a good range of units every game. You’ll need to wait until you’ve researched quite a bit to unlock all the units. All the sides play quite differently.

I’d strongly recommend it if you like turn-based strategy and like WH40K. But even for those that don’t know WH40K, its a very fun game.

agree. this is a great game. all the way through. can’t really fault it

The fact that there is no diplomacy makes it a better game. Most 4x are horrible in terms of diplomacy options.

PIcked this up in the sale, started a tutorial game, almost immediately had all my units enslaved. What. The. Fuck? I really have very little patience for inane difficulty spikes, is this some amazing stroke of bad luck or something typical for this game?

Sounds like an enslaver got you, I’d try again, fear the terrors of the warp.

https://gladiusrelicsofwar.gamepedia.com/Enslavers

Yeah, I know. Right out of the gate it seems basically impossible to do anything about those. Is it just bad luck to have one spawn in the tutorial, or is it always there?

They are always near relics from what I’ve seen in streams. No idea about the tutorial.

This whole thing is giving me dremer shard flashbacks (the source of game-breaking difficulty spikes in Warlock 2). I’m about an inch from refunding.

Do you have to kill it? Carefully avoid it when you can’t focus fire it to have it down in one turn. Well, I’m no expert and it’s been quite some time since I played but I remember getting along with them despite similiar initial irritations.

I would say this is bad luck. However, be aware that Gladius is a hostile place. Don’t let your guys run to far from base in the begining (specially not alone). An if you see an Enslaver … run!

I played the tutorial about 4 times, its just a normal random map, with a tutorial overlay. It doesn’t hold your hand, be careful of everything thing until you have a force built up. Those things are a common occurrence, but not difficult once you have some units. Hardest part is catching them when they flee over water.

Which race are you playing as? The game marks Space Marines and Necrons as Initial Challenge: Easy, Orks as Medium, and Astra Militarum (Imperial Guard) and Tyranids as Hard.

I think those are accurate. Imperial Guard tends to have a very rough time when the game starts. I’ve never had any difficulty with the Enslavers as Space Marines, whereas the Imperial Guard has big problems with the Enslavers and everything else. If you aren’t already playing as Space Marines, I’d recommend starting off playing Space Marines or perhaps Necrons until you get a hang of the game.

Anyone played this co-op with another human against a couple AIs in a 2x2? Was thinking this might be another good choice for co-op with a friend, we’ve recently been having quite a bit of fun in AOW3 against some AI teams.