Slitherine Announces Gladius - Relics of War

Darn you people, now I bought another game!! :-) Somehow missed this, but looks to have improved with time.

Note, I used this 50% off code, still good for 24 hours.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/warhammer-40-000-gladius-relics-of-war?ref=italianspartacus

Glad I read the comments here - I have been playing 4 player games but getting clobbered when the ‘natives’ and 2-3 AI players gang up on me.

I’ve been playing a 2v2 team game… my only issue is that synchronous manner of play often has the screen showing my ally’s combat/moves while I miss some my units (off-screen) getting smacked around.

Is there any way to determine who is teamed with whom once a game starts? They do call this a 4X game but I see very little diplomacy or way to track the other players/teams. Thanks.

You can set up custom teams during game set up - it’s one the options - you can set the opponents to a specific faction if you want specific teams

It’s got explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate. It’s not a Civ-like game, though, each game just plays out a war. Teams are set in the lobby, if no team was set it’s just straight FFA.

I think you can hover over the player icons at the top of the screen to see their teams. I usually color code them during game setup for easy recognition.

It’s 4X, not 4X+D :)

Good point, you have won the forum for today! @Shards too :-)

Rumor on the Gladius Discord is that Slitherine is going to announce the Eldar expansion this Thursday.

Got back to playing this recently after not playing for a year. Forgot how good this games is, makes me not want to play any other game. Finally played as the Tyranids, man they hit hard, one shottiing many units. They are a melee faction and I prefer ranged, but I do want to play them more.

In the middle of a Tau game and they are very interesting. They don’t seem to hit that hard, even when using all of their abilities and mixing different units, but I need to play them more. But, it was fun playing against the Chaos. They were pushing me, so I slowly backed up letting them come next to my drones and get the increased overwatch fire and now I am pushing them and about to win.

Really wish this game had async play.

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! It’s about time!

That would be absolutely fantastic.

There is hotseat, so I guess you could email the file around. But, from what I understand Slitherine has PBEM in a lot of their games.

Definitely looking forward to Eldar. I wonder if this is the last faction, or if they’re going to keep going. I would love to see Sisters of Battle and Adeptus Mechanicus. But either way, I got to give them credit for getting the main factions all in there and doing a real quality job with all of them.

It will also be interesting to see how the Eldar works. I’m hoping it’s a standard Craftsworld faction with Dark Eldar potentially added later as a different faction. Would be much less happy with a Ynarri mix of Craftsworld and Dark Eldar into the same faction.

Unfortunately, hotseat and PBEM support pretty much require a replay feature. It doesn’t do me a lot of good to have a turn file dumped into my lap with no way to look at what happened when it wasn’t my turn. I wish more developers of async games understood this. :(

-Tom

I agree Tom. Plus the hassle of having to email the turns back and forth.

There were some comments about how this game doesn’t need async as the games only take 2 or 3 hours. I say that’s even more reason to have it. I currently play Civ VI and Planetfall async and those games can take months. Would be nice to be able to knock off a game in a week or two.

The announcement was delayed because some art assets weren’t ready. But, supposedly The Eldar dlc will be released on Nov 12

They will get my money! Keep the content comin’!

I am all kinds of in. Love the game, love the Eldar, will be happy to throw money at them for this.

This game has elevated to day 1 purchases for me. Looking foward to my Tau vs SM game tonight.

Releasing it right on top of the new console releases does seem like an odd choice. Maybe they don’t think there is much audience overlap? Or maybe just so few new consoles available even with interest overlap very few players will have the console. Still seems like a bad time to try to generate PR and interest, when a lot of the gaming world is going to be focusing on the Xbox Series X and PS5.

That would be my guess. And this way they hit the holiday shopping season. On Steam they can pair the new release with a winter sale on their previous DLCs.