Sniper Elite 4 - More slo-mo bullet cam

Wait, so once we start a mission (and as you say, missions are mini-campaigns, one of the great things about the game) we can’t exit without having to start completely over if we haven’t finished? That’s kind of a deal breaker for our schedules. Appreciate that feedback.

Yes. Each mission has to be completely started over if you quit the game in the middle of a mission. You can choose to play any mission you want when you start. You just must start the mission at the beginning.

Due to the sale this game came upon my radar. I just finished Wolfenstein New Order and New Colossus. I understand this is not quiet a shooter. But from the videos it looks like you could play it as a stealth/trap game with some sniping? In general I am not a huge fan of sniping.Hence I always wrote these off but what I hear does intrigue me. Can you play it as a stealth game with Sniping aka Thief or similar games? I also approach Wolfenstein pretty much as a stealth game and only started shooting if stuff went pear-shaped. Would an earlier entry at a lower pricepoint still be worth to check out first? Like SE 3?

This is better than 3. The levels are big enough for there to be plenty of skulking around, but it is about sniping… clue’s in the name :) You will get a good feel within an hour or two, so you’re probably ok to get a steam refund if you don’t like it.

Very large levels with a ton of optional missions on each map. I play it very stealthy, silenced pistol that I use a lot, and use a silenced sniper rifle rather than wait for sound cover. You can trap bodies as well as generators. It can get hairy if you’re sighted, but there’s a lot of cover to hide in until the search is over.

It is, of course, a sniper game, and that is the main weapon you will use to clear a path to your objectives. You can minimize the shooting but you won’t be able to eliminate it.

And it is a GREAT Co-op game. You can play the entire game in co-op mode. I’ve been doing that with my brother and it is a great experience.

Thanks @Alistair and @JeffL! For the his sale I went with 3 and so far I really dig the sniping while usually don’t like it. But the way it is done in this series makes it relatively easy to pull off in the lower difficulty and still be satisfying. Plus some stealthy bits and traps etc make it varied enough to not get boring. 4 will be in my winter sale basket for sure.

I picked this up on the Steam sale for Thanksgiving and I’m having a blast with it. Who knew this was so much damned fun?!?

I especially enjoy baiting enemies into well laid traps as well as diversions to be able to do so. The rocks and whistle are so valuable in this game for that. But one of the sillier things I’ve been doing is laying out enemies in the open, just to demoralize the others. Yes, I know this doesn’t actually work, but I feel like I’m role playing a person who has a personal vendetta in this fight. Let them know it was me and spread fear throughout their troops. (It also helps me keep track of who I have looted and who I have not, making management of the collectibles much easier.)

That’s it. I’m getting this.

Do it. At the price point it’s at this is a no brainer. Also, give yourself the first mission or two to get into it. I didn’t know what half the keys did my first mission and I died a few times. The checkpoints make that easy enough to pick back up from where you were.

If you’re on PC, hold the Q key down and scroll around to pick what you want to use. You can also click the mouse button while selecting to cycle between different options (normal versus suppressed, rock versus whistle, etc.)

Bait an enemy near you with a rock or two, kill them silently (if you want,) then booby trap the body and bait the next guy in, etc. Whittle groups down to 2-3 this way and the game is a breeze on normal difficulty. So far, anyway. The AI suffers from the same in nearly every other game in that if they are on alert and looking for you, eventually they go back to normal. Even if you just killed their buddies. So you can make things easier by just waiting until they reset.

Glad I saw this thread. I meant to grab this over the weekend and thought i missed my window. Is it worth getting 3 and 4? I haven’t played anything in the series.

I haven’t either. If 3 is any good I’ll pick it up, though. Hopefully someone can summarize if that’s worth doing.

Is the DLC worth getting as well?

I bought the deluxe. It contains a season pass so you get all the DLC. But that kind of puts this back up into a larger price point. I wish I could comment on all the DLC, but I’m not on those missions yet.

You can always add the season pass later, it’s ~$13 I think.

3 is good but not as good as 4, IMHO.

Oh and you haven’t had fun until you find a flare gun. I found one on a body and wondered what does this do? Fired it at a group of soldiers at a checkpoint and then watched the fun. ;)

I just checked the website how long to beat and saw that these aren’t overly long games. I’m leaning towards just getting 3 and 4 if the price isn’t too high. I forgot my phone at home and don’t want to go on Steam from my laptop to check. :)

I need SOMETHING to get me from playing PUBG nonstop. It’s not healthy.

It is incredible how addictive that game mode is. Battle Royale is a hell of a drug.

Did that two missions ago, great fun. Especially since I wasn’t sure what to target but happily took out a static turret with it.

I’m not far in, but I really enjoy taking my time each mission. I like baiting, trapping, distracting and generally using, “shoot and scoot,” as Tom put it. I would rather call it hit and run or fading. Especially the latter, as I’ll make a few full volume shots to draw, then fade behind the traps as they chase, picking off the searchers with stealth and traps.

Bah didn’t get in before the sale ended. Oh well. I will just wait until the next one in like 3 weeks. :)

I swooped in and grabbed it before the sale ended. I wanted it on PS4 but it was sold out everywhere. I’m sure the game will work fine over Steam Link.

I’m able to crank the graphics to Ultra on my 1070 and get a smooth 60fps, so that’s nice.