So, Boy Scouts: evil, pure evil, or sometimes non-evil?

All through Scouting, I very much doubt I thought even once about the men and women in charge having sex, and who or what they were doing it with. MY son will be old enough to start cub scouts next year and there is no way in hell he is sitting and pondering whether a 40 year old woman that teaches him knots is having sex with another woman at night.

ARISE!

Boy Scout mom shocked that people can be nude outdoors.

It was supposed to be a nature hike through Torrey Pines State Park. Diane Lekven and her husband Erik snapped a photo just before the hike got started on January 24. They say what their 4th grade son and about half a dozen other kids were exposed to was far too much – dozens and dozens of nude people at Black’s Beach.

The couple says they couldn’t believe the pack master of Troop 766, Desmond Wheatley, had led them on a trail through the area, which is known as a nude beach.

Their son was with a group of kids farther ahead of the parents. Diane ran to them.

“When I got up there I said ‘Hey what are you doing? We’re in the middle of a nudist beach.’ He said ‘This is a naturalist beach, and my family and I go through here all the time it’s not a big deal.’ And I got really angry,” Diane said.

She says it was too late to turn back, because they’d just be walking back through the same environment.

“I was nauseated because I’ve never seen just a bunch of nude people walking around holding hands, strange people that I don’t know,” she said.

Well, it does seem like a rather stupid choice for a hike with a bunch of young boys and their families.

It’s not like the San Diego area doesn’t have other options.

Robert Gates (late the Secretary of Defense) is currently the President of The Boy Scouts.

As noted upthread, the organization voted back in 2013 not to bar admittance to openly gay Scouts, but they drew the line at hiring openly gay men or women as Scout Leaders. Well, a couple troops in more liberal areas tested the limits of that ban by… hiring openly gay Scout Leaders.

Today, Gates did two things: First, he declared that his administration would take no action against he troops that hired the gay men, effectively condoning the policy. Second, he urged (albeit in reluctant language) the national board to take up the issue and drop the official ban:

He did kind of wuss out at the end: he said that in places where the Scouts are sponsored by churches (the Mormon and Catholic churches are frequent supporters), then the sponsors should be able to set limits on the Scout Leaders for their own troops. That sounds fishy to me, but then I was surprised at the Hobby Lobby decision, so what do I know?

Link to NYT story.

We must deal with the world as it is, not as we might wish it to be.

Bravo, I guess.

Hah, unrelated to the issue itself, but growing up in the south it didn’t even occur to me that troops would be sponsored by anything other than churches.

The troop I was in was also church sponsored, and I grew up near Chicago.

I know we’ve discussed it before, but it’s so odd to me how the Boy Scouts became a wholly religious group while the Girl Scouts went down a completely different path.

Cookies, man. Cookies.

Yeah, you can only make cookies as good as Samoas with a pact with the devil.

Those things are incipient obesity in a box. I love them so much that I hate them.

I never made it to Boy Scout. I was thrown out of the Cub Scouts for eating a brownie.

The Gaystapo are out in force over this on FB. Why do they have to “shove” their activism in our faces?!!

I hear ya. Here in Utah, Scouting always seemed to me an appendage of the LDS church. Sunday school teachers of scouts-age kids are frequently scout leaders, etc, and scouting would usually carry with it some Sunday school teaching as well.

This is some unexpected and positive news:

In 2019, girls can join the Boy Scouts and even earn their Eagle rank. Before then, younger girls can join Cub Scouts.

Anecdotally, back when I was a lad, I knew a number of female friends that were bored by what the Girl Scouts offered. They craved the roughing-it adventures that they’d heard the Boy Scouts offered and sometimes actually provided.

Sure, this might mean that there will be even more dumb kids cheering for Trump at the next jamboree. But it offers some potentially cool opportunities to kids that wanted them. For once, good for the Scouts.

Folks are gonna freak the fuck out over this.

And by “folks” I mean “old trump supporters”.

Quick, stuff some deep fried Twinkies and 64oz pops down their throats, maybe they’ll all have heart attacks.

campfirecookedpopcorn.gif

What this is code for is conservative families want to send their girls to “godly” Boy Scouts instead of “godless” Girl Scouts.