So.... Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I’m apprehensive about this one. I’m not a Tim Burton fan at all, but I want it to be good… well, one thing that gives me hope:

Look closely. The cane is filled with Nerds.

More:

Oompah

Violet

Veruca

Agustus

Wonka looke kinda… gay.

Burton said he thinks the original version sucked. I know Dahl didn’t like the way it came out, but I just love it.

Whoa whoa whoa. Seriously?

Yes, seriously.

I really am expecting the worse here.

:/

Whoa whoa whoa. Seriously?[/quote]

That’s a bad sign. I love Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. It was one of my favorite movies, growing up. One of Gene Wilder’s best performances ever too (well, that and Young Frankenstein).

With Johnny Depp, I have really high hopes that this is going to be a great movie.

That said, I still love Gene Wilder’s rendition. There were a few moments where he seemed like an honest to goodness crackpot that you should be afraid of, as well as many references that I appreciate as an adult.

While I too love the original (came out the year I was born), some of the best parts were the hints of something darker just under the surface. From the simple things like “Candy is dandy, but liqour is quicker” to the more complex psychosis of the boat ride.

So I’m hoping that Tim Burton and Depp will inject just a touch more of that, while still keeping the innocence intact. Kind of an inverse of the angst vs innocence they brought to Edward Scissorhands.

Burton hasn’t quite been on top of his game lately, but I’m still hopeful that the earlier magic of his work like Nightmare Before Christmas can make a return.

It’ll be interesting to see if they update Mike TV any. The vices of the others are relatively timeless, but his television obsession seems slightly out of date in a world of videogames and the internet. Not that you couldn’t just expand it to include those, mind you.

Instead of giving him lines, they can have him open his mouth and have a comic bubble appear with l33tspeak inside. How surreal would that be?

I hope they include that small detail where the Augustus’ dad eats the microphone when he’s being interviewed! ^_^

Sing it with me!

"I never dreamed that I would climb
Over the moon in ecstacy
But nevertheless, it’s there I’m shortly going to be!

'Cause I’ve got a golden ticket
(doo-doo-doo, de-doo doo-doo)
I’ve got a golden chance to make my waaaay
And with a golden ticket,
It’s-a-gold-en-day!
(doo-doo, doo-doo, duh-doo-doo-doo)
"

-Kitsune

I loved the original film, but I have faith in Johnny Depp as an actor to do well with this one.

Dude, I’ve never seen the movie all the way through. The book ruled though. And the sequel too. And everything written by Roald Dahl that kids these days only see crappy movie versions of.

The original movie was perfect. It rocked back and forth between "charming "and “holy hell what’s going on?” There was definitely a dark streak underneath. I remember being totally shocked and distraught by Wonka’s refusal to let Charlie have his final prize at the end beause of a technicality. I just thought “He’s just another adult after all!” and got really frustrated. It’s easily one of the clearest memories I have of my childhood.

But I’ve liked Depp in almost everything he’s done, so I’ll give this one a go.

I read the book, oh, probably fifteen or twenty times when I was a kid. And the Great Glass Elevator, too. Never been able to stand more than ten minutes or so of the movie, though. And I normally love Gene Wilder.

“Peter Jackson desecrated Tolkien’s legacy!” == me when it comes to Dahl :)

I don’t know. Johnny’s goth makeup makes this look hardly subtle, which is what was neat about the original. I think Burton’s missing that point.

I will watch any movie Kitsune makes.

Also smoke any drugs he does!

I read the book, oh, probably fifteen or twenty times when I was a kid. And the Great Glass Elevator, too. Never been able to stand more than ten minutes or so of the movie, though. And I normally love Gene Wilder.

“Peter Jackson desecrated Tolkien’s legacy!” == me when it comes to Dahl :)[/quote]

So Andrew Myers + Willy Wonka = John Reynolds + LoTR Trilogy? :)

I’ll check it out, it should be interesting to see what Burton and Depp come up with.

And where has Burton been off his game lately? Big Fish was pretty good or is he still dragged down by that “I have a mortgage payment movie”, Planet of the Apes?

I loved the original and have a tough time seeing what a remake could add to it. Also in today’s world the Dickensian poverty of Charlie’s family is even further removed from what a modern audience might expect.

Burton’s comments on the original went something like, “you probably have fond memories of the movie from your childhood, but if you were to watch it now, it pretty much sucks.” Funny, because I have watched it recently and no, it doesn’t suck.

I like plenty of things Burton’s done in the past (Beetlejuice, Scissorhands, Ed Wood) and I think Depp is a terrific actor. I just don’t care to see a re-imagining of a movie I already love.

That’s fair enough, but they’re not re-imagining a movie; they’re adapting a novel.

I want to see a movie made of The BFG.

Or failing that, Roald Dahl’s exploits as a WW2 fighter pilot.