So.... Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Yeah, I thought Mars Attacks! was hilarious. One of what I consider to be the only four good movies Burton has ever made (didn’t see Big Fish though); PeeWee’s Big Adventure, Beetlejuice, and Edward Scissorhands are the other three.

I still think Ed Wood is his greatest film. A clean story arc, the most controlled cinematic vision, and the clearest realization of his “freaks are the true heroes” message.

We are talking about Tim Burton’s Batman right? }:)

We are talking about Tim Burton’s Batman right? }:)[/quote]

In retrospect that comment works equally for both films.

Favorite Burton moment evar:
In Batman Returns Batman burns someone to death (with the Batmobile) in the opening of the film, then begs Catwoman to spare Shreck’s life at the end.

I’m jonesing for Burton to do The Great Glass Elevator. Why?
VERMICIOUS KNIDS!!

Wait wait wait… you didn’t like his rendition of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow? Oh man, I thought it was excellent, by far the best I’ve seen. Surely beat that old Disney cartoon shite.

Wait wait wait… you didn’t like his rendition of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow? Oh man, I thought it was excellent, by far the best I’ve seen. Surely beat that old Disney cartoon shite.[/quote]

Come on man, Sleepy Hollow was terrible.

Wait wait wait… you didn’t like his rendition of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow? Oh man, I thought it was excellent, by far the best I’ve seen. Surely beat that old Disney cartoon shite.[/quote]

Come on man, Sleepy Hollow was terrible.[/quote]

Slightly overrated, but not terrible. I missed it in the movies and finally gave into seeing it after person after person kept hyping up how good it was. It was worth watching.

I agree but then I think most Tim Burton movies fall into the terrible rating.

Could be a generational thing, guys. I’m turning 37 this year and still remember the Gene Wilder version of Willy Wonka with great fondness. I like a lot of Depp’s work; he’s certainly taken on some risky roles in the past. But I don’t have high hopes that Depp’s abilities can overcome Burton’s new vision.

That ain’t it. I not only saw the movie back in the day, I made my own chocolate oompa-loompas with the official “home chocolate factory”. It’s still a crappy move.

I like a lot of Depp’s work; he’s certainly taken on some risky roles in the past. But I don’t have high hopes that Depp’s abilities can overcome Burton’s new vision.

Could be. Although I’ll say that my biggest problem with Big Fish is that there’s too much restraint. It’s came off like a castrated Lynch film.

Did anyone here email this to me?

hello rob, i think you are an idiot, Johnny Depp is one of the best actors that ever was in the business, you fucking close minded prick, Now stop wearing incredibles shirt, and get a real life FUCK YOU

I’m dying to know what I wrote to cause that reaction.

I’m guessing that email came directly from Tim Burton.

You’re looking for someone with a very worn comma key.

Put there email address here so we can sign it up to spam^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H try and figure it out.

They better have the motherfucking boat ride, is all I’m saying.

I read the book before I saw the movie, and the first time I saw the movie (as a child) I thought it was terrible. It grew on me later, because I was able to appreciate Wilder’s brilliance and discard the rest of the crap.

Burton’s message is dead on, but I don’t know if he’s the one to direct the adaptation; he’s always been good at doing things that look good but maybe don’t have a lot of depth.

Given that Tim Burton turned one of the greatest sci-fi movies ever–Planet of the Apes–into a completely abominable mess of a remake, I have no hopes for this Willy Wonka remake at all. I used to really dig his stuff–Edward Scissorhands and Ed Wood in particular–but as of late he appears to have totally forgotten how to tell a story or set a tone.

I love Johnny Depp and would have his man-babies–I even saw (and liked) Finding Neverland–and maybe he can pull it off, maybe, but this remake frightens me.

Oh yeah, and I’m in the camp of old guys who like the original. I saw it recently with my kid, too, and I thought it still held up. Gene Wilder–they don’t make actors like him anymore.

Big Sad for comparing Dahl to Rowling.

Don’t see why its so bad, granted I’m a little out of context not having kids and all, but Dahl is the only other author (aside from perhaps Enid Blyton) that I can think of that manages to have kids positively salivating about the prospect of picking up a book.

I heard he only made Planet of the Apes to fulfill a contractual obligation with a studio, just did it because they wanted him to and it would free him up to work on his projects. Not sure if that’s true.