So I got Indestructible Object

Even though it isn’t out until tomorrow. God damn, it’s awesome. I’m sad that it’s only five songs. Still, you should get it.

hope its on itunes tomorrow

Doesn’t iTunes only sell RIAA stuff?

no, anyone can submit an album for itunes. It cost $40, you upload the tracks and album. Then you end up getting 60 cents per sound bought. However They don’t have this album. :( Wonder if any other download service has it.

Based on such a descriptive, useful, completely un-vague, and informative recommendation, i don’t see how anyone could pass it up.

no, anyone can submit an album for itunes. It cost $40, you upload the tracks and album. Then you end up getting 60 cents per sound bought. However They don’t have this album. :( Wonder if any other download service has it.[/quote]

Pshaw. Just order the cd ;).

Sorry, Jon. Indestructible Object is the new 5-song EP by They Might Be Giants. Here’s a breakdown:

Am I Awake - I expected this to be dial-a-song caliber, but it’s much, much better. It’s definitely Linnell performing and writing at the top of his range.

Memo to Human Resources - Another pleasant surprise. I expected an instrumental (most of their EP’s have one), but instead, it’s one of the best songs Flansburgh has ever written.

Au Contraire - I knew this going in, but this song is awesome. Again, a great Linnell song.

Ant - Yet another surprise. This song was originally released fourteen years ago, IIRC, and there are a bunch of versions, but this one is by far the best. TMBG’s Other Thing is just awesome. Go to www.tmbg.com and click on “free mp3s” to hear what they’ve done with Mr. Me and Dirt Bike.

Caroline, No - This is a Beach Boys cover. All I can really say about this is, it’s arguably the second best cover they’ve ever done (after Yeh Yeh), and anyone who’s ever heard John Flansburgh sing will be amazed at the job he’s done with this one.

I like supporting the legal downloading of music when possible.

[quote=“Rob_Merritt”]

I like supporting the legal downloading of music when possible.[/quote]

But iTunes screws the artists even more than the RIAA does, which is a whole lot more than an indie label like Barsuk does.

If the figures Rob quoted are right, the artist is getting 60% of the revenue. I always heard that the record companies and RIAA (by association) screwed the artists a lot harder than that.

If the figures Rob quoted are right, the artist is getting 60% of the revenue. I always heard that the record companies and RIAA (by association) screwed the artists a lot harder than that.[/quote]

Thats if you upload your own product. If you are signed with the RiAA, I’m unsure what you’ll get.

If the figures Rob quoted are right, the artist is getting 60% of the revenue. I always heard that the record companies and RIAA (by association) screwed the artists a lot harder than that.[/quote]

Thats if you upload your own product. If you are signed with the RiAA, I’m unsure what you’ll get.[/quote]

You’ll get 60% of what you would have gotten had you sold it in a store.

[quote=““extarbags””]

Artist that sell their cds at a store hardly get anywhere near 60% of the sale price. .6 of 1% maybe

Over all I really don’t know what the economics are for the independant artist attempting to get into stores. However since i never see them, I can’t imagine that is an issue.

Artist that sell their cds at a store hardly get anywhere near 60% of the sale price. .6 of 1% maybe

Over all I really don’t know what the economics are for the independant artist attempting to get into stores. However since i never see them, I can’t imagine that is an issue.[/quote]

I think you’re confused. I’m saying that if they’d normally get 1% of the sale of cds sold in a store, they’d get .6% of the sale over iTunes.

Indie labels generally give a much bigger cut to the artist, but have less resources for marketing.