So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

That was deeply depressing, thanks for posting it!

Americans have now proven to the world that we’re not responsible enough to make a deal with.

Why in the hell would anyone ever negotiate with us after this? The next president can just tear up any agreement. They don’t even need any logical reason for it. You can’t predict what foreign bribes or emotional bullshit will sway them. Jimmy Carter called the Iranians during the revolution “irrational people”, but are we any better?

Anyway, this is one of those days when I realize that reading the news isn’t good for my mental health.

I think several cities will do that. I remember last summer there being a story about a woman being cited for feeding the homeless, in fact I think she did it quite often.

The El Cajon ordinance is a bit more nuanced than “let’s starve the homeless out.” The city council says they made it temporarily illegal to give out food on city owned property to cut down on the spread of hepatitis A. Food banks, shelters, and charity groups can still feed the homeless on their own property. They claim the ban will be lifted when health authorities say the community is clear of HepA.

I don’t know if that’s actually all true, but the city did publish notices of approved food-sharing locations (churches, charities, etc) and gave them out in homeless camps.

I also think cities prefer established charities or organizations do it so that they can control where the homeless are. Many cities spend a lot of time and effort trying maintain some kind of “control” over the homeless population. It’s not always an evil thing.

What’s that from again?

And surely no one can doubt that, had Hillary Clinton become President and, say, a meeting had then been discovered to have taken place between members of her campaign and a mysterious visitor from an autocratic foreign power offering information designed to subvert democracy, with an accompanying e-mail from Chelsea Clinton saying “Love it!,” we would now be in the midst of Clinton’s impeachment hearings, with the supposedly liberal press defending her faintly, if at all.

Am I wrong for rooting for the shutdown? I’m rooting for the shutdown.

I do not want to see a shutdown… Although, at the same time, I don’t want the imbeciles in congress to be able to continue to pass CR’s instead of a budget, because it’s bad for everyone to not have the government actually allocate resources in a meaningful way.

I don’t really know which party it would hurt more… I suspect the GOP, since they control everything, and when they forced a shutdown previously, it hurt the Democrats.

The talking point of “The first time the government has ever shut down when totally controlled by a single party” is not going to play well for the GOP.

I kind of wish the GOP in congress was less grossly incompetent at governing though.

Hold on to your butts.

Dear Mr Schumer, have your phone record the conversation.

I would hate to see a shutdown because, if I remember right the last time that happened, this affects the paychecks of some people. There are just too many “regular” lives disrupted with a complete shutdown.

Not congress though! Those guys still get their paycheck.

Because fuck everything.

Chuck knows how to work Donnie. Just two New Yorkers in a room.

The way it oughtta be.

Fugheddaboudit.

Schumer could totally get this deal locked up with Trump, if he’s allowed to talk to him with no interference from folks like Steven Miller… But he’s gotta get Trump to then make an announcement before he talks to other folks.

Maybe in a world where people care about facts. I find it pretty appalling that only 51% strongly disapprove of the President. Anyone that isn’t already convinced isn’t liable to be by anything else that happens, short of a major catastrophe.

There is the problem. Before anything is signed, any number of people can talk him out of it. I am not expecting anything.