So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

OTOH, more pay for ag workers is a good thing.

Again I disagree. If they’re priced out they are not middle class; they’ve slipped to lower class which is a different issue and one most don’t want to admit to… aka they were on the line or were bit middle class to begin with.

Aka the cost of food in the USA will not be the reason someone is no longer middle class, even if it goes up 10-20%. But I would agree, people slipping from the middle class is an issue for sure.

That was a long and depressing read.

It seems like we already kind of have a way to identify that 9.9%, the lower, middle, upper-class and the .1 percent. Since there are no clear lines, especially with COLA around, it’s hard for people not to argue what class they are in. And since people keep sleeping, it’s hard to admit when they’ve fallen. There is shame to admit someone has fallen. Almost the entire branch above me in my family tree has fallen out of the middle class. They will not admit it. There is one that is adamant he is middle class but… he can’t get a home loan, and it’s not very expensive.

I was pleasantly surprised this person even talked about race, separately, from the issues of the 90% in general because there are shocking statistics between various groups that others try to ignore and just speak as if all situations are the same; they’re not.

He wants to end on a high note with this after spending so much time in the trenches, and there a couple of problems with that. one is the bottom 90 percent are currently eager to punish if not outright destroy the 9.9% even as they worship the 1 percent. And I’d say the bottom 90% also mistake people in the middle class as the 9.9%. Based on the numbers he used, I’d this is the upper-class he’s mostly talking about and not the middle-class, but the asks are most for the middle-class to give up more while this top percent passes their mult-million dollar estates from generation to generation.

Welcome to the 1890’s till just after the attack on Pearl Harbor. During that time what “middle class” there was in the US was fairly small by all accounts. Shopkeepers, doctors/lawyers, certain academics and their families, which amounted to at most 10% of the population that had some degree of economic security. The urban working class especially was in dire straits. Some of the members of that small middle class, starting in the first years of the 20th Century, realized that when/if thing blew up, it was their necks that would be under the blade, and not those of the Vanderbilts, DuPonts and Carnegies, so they agitated for the first legislation of the Progressive Era to establish things like wage/hour laws, anti-child labor laws, worker’s comp, unemployment compensation, etc. The New Deal brought Social Security and the NLRB.

All that is being chipped away now, or at least that is the project of the ideological Right. And now with Trump appointing everyone the GOP tells him to to lifetime federal judgeships, it’s going to get worse before it gets better. All in the name of making the richest even richer, and the devil take the hindmost.

Based on surveys from the United States, the authors found that white people who did not want to have immigrants or people of different races living next door to them were more likely to be supportive of authoritarianism. For instance, people who said they did not want to live next door to immigrants or to people of another race were more supportive of the idea of military rule, or of a strongman-type leader who could ignore legislatures and election results.

Useful info for cockroach Herodotus.

Isn’t that kind of a tautology? People who don’t believe in equality under the law don’t believe in a system of law that is equal for all people?

http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/leonard-pitts-jr/article211963789.html

It’s still an article of faith for many that the Trump phenomenon was born out of fiscal insecurity, the primal scream of working people left behind by a changing economy. But I don’t think I’ve ever, not once, seen an email from a Trump supporter who explained himself in terms of the factory or the coal mine shutting down.

I have, however, heard from hundreds like “Matthew,” who worries about “immigrants” and “Gerald,” who thinks people of color have an “alliance” against him. Such people validate the verdict of a growing body of scholarship that says, in the words of a new study by University of Kansas professors David N. Smith and Eric Hanley, “The decisive reason that white, male, older and less educated voters were disproportionately pro-Trump is that they shared his prejudices and wanted domineering, aggressive leaders …”

There editorial is pretty scathing a well worth reading.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-op-0523-trump-usna-20180522-story,amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

In late June of 2005, two USNA graduates named Erik Kristensen and Mike McGreevy insisted on being in the lead aircraft riding into a hot landing zone in Afghanistan’s Korengal Valley to come to the aid of their wounded, outnumbered and about to be overrun team of SEALs. The helicopter was shot down, and they and more than a dozen others lost their lives. A few months later in that same year, the current president of the United States was captured in a recording bragging about assaulting women: “I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything … Grab ‘em by the [crotch]. You can do anything.”

I just heard a smart guy on CNN point something out, talking about how fast ABC was willing to dump Rosanne, even though she was their number one draw for advertisers 2 weeks ago. They were set to pull in over 40 million from ad revenue on her show.

But folks are starting to realize that they have real boycott power, and we’ve recently seen some significant blowback against corporations.

A politician can lose the support of 49.9% of the vote, and still win… And still get tons of money in kickbacks, etc.

But when a corporation loses even a tiny percentage of it’s sales, that’s immediately a HUGE deal, for literally any corporation.

We may have more power as consumers than voters.

Welcome to the Sprawl.

I don’t think some of the other networks would have done the same, necessarily, but we are talking Disney here and being family-friendly is their brand.

It would not surprise me to learn that ABC had a contingency plan in place for when and not if Roseanne said something fucking stupid.

I’d die from laughter if they picked up Lucifer to fill the slot.

They certainly should have, since everything about her past performance said this was going to happen. This is not Rosanne’s first visit to Assholeville, via the Crazytown Express.

https://twitter.com/therealroseanne/status/1001660453506830336

She’s going to come out ahead after doing the entire free speech circuit.

Wish ABC had just said, we’re keeping Roseanne but it’s going to star Tyne Daly and something is going to happen to the Roseanne character personally that’s going to get her to understand why she’s been on the wrong side of history.

Wonder if Joe will softball her on Pizzagate and rest of it. He’s like a coin flip on that kind of stuff.

That’s kinda brilliant. I’m voting for you in the next election for president of ABC Entertainment.

(Except maybe I’d replace her with Angela Bassett)