So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

Yeah. In Europe, it seems more “protect the people”-based, while in the US it’s more “protect myself.”

Heh. Hmm, for some reason I always thought that was Spandau Ballet.

You thought the Final Countdown was Spandau Ballet? What the heck is wrong with you?

Hahahah, that’s what I felt like saying, but backed off. Maybe Papageno didn’t grow up during the 80s like I did, I thought.

Somewhere…deep in the bowels of my home, lies a box. In that box is a bunch of old video tapes. One of those tapes is from my freshman year at Vanderbilt. That tape summarizes all the things that happened that year. One of those segments is about the basketball team, which was led to the Elite Eight by Will Perdue, who would later warm the bench a lot for the Jordan-era Chicago Bulls. The music for that segment was Gold by Spandau Ballet.

That is all.

I remember Will Perdue! Mostly because I had a basketball card of him, not because he played much. Ah the 91-92 bulls, good times.

I turned 20 in 1981, and in college my musical tastes usually ran to whatever was popular on commercial radio, provided it was sort of New Wave-ish. Human League, B-52’s l, DEVO’s more accessible stuff, Nu Shooz’ one big hit, Men at Work, Eurythmics, etc.
But I was never super “into” music then-- for one thing I didn’t have the scratch to buy records/ eventually CDs and concert tickets (unlike a lot of the kids who went to LC with me-- I was a faculty brat). So a lot of times I sort of knew a song from the radio but wouldn’t know who sang it.

That’s fair. I was the same way during the 80s. It was only in the 90s that I developed a taste in music, and so I went back and found out who sang all those songs I heard on the radio during the 80s.

I was a college freshman when he was a senior. I ended up next in line to him in the cafeteria one day. It was like standing next to a redwood tree.

I don’t even know where to put this. Here, I guess?

Spreading the good word.

He’s blaming it on illness, that puts him in the category of people like Roseanne where drugs or illness is claimed to suddenly just make someone a vile human being.

I’m surprised they don’t put it on the warning labels at this point. /sarcasm

No he went there because he thought the populace would be easy to exploit.

Eh… the Charlie Hebdo shootings were in January 2015 so French police were on high alert during that period for a very good reason. November that year saw the restaurant/Bataclan theatre/Stade de France attacks.

Police forces in most West European countries have generally been on high terrorism alert for the past four years.

Who among us hasn’t randomly gone to fucking Uganda to throw racial slurs at people?

Also… how fucking dumb do you have to be to go to an African country to throw slurs at the people? Then again these are the sorts of fucks that got Uganda to pass their insane anti-homosexuality laws. Turns out those insanely homophobic dudes are also really racist. What a fucking surprise!

Jesus, how was the M-44 cyanide trap ever even a thing? Basically they placed land mines and hoped the wrong thing didn’t set it off.

Pretty much. I guess this is what you get when Zinke is calling the shots.

I’ve never heard of this before.

What in the actual fuck? And the government response is blame the family?

Fuck You Zinke.