So is Prometheus worth seeing?

STOP TALKING ABOUT PROMETHEUS. That’s the second discussion in as many weeks.

Please let the grisly spectacle fade from memory.

Records from that era are spotty at best.

It birthed the Prometheopsis, so it wasn’t totally worthless.

Odd that utterly no one in the movie exercised any forethought. Kind of like talking about Prometheus to get others to stop talking about Prometheus - it’s sure to provoke response, even from people willing to rip out there eyes and should know better. Talking about Prometheus is kind of like having a vulture constantly devour your liver, and then you grow it back so you can torture yourself again tomorrow. The only hope is that everyone moves on to Ex Machina or something.

Liver, forethought, hope - hit most of my mythology links. Woooohooo!

It is fine as a nice visual sci-fi action film. It is not fine as a real sequel (prequel) to the Alien films as background, because it screws it up a bit.

So fine pop-corn sunday afternoon fodder, but no ‘Alien’.

RUN SIDEWAYS, FOOLS!

Just had to get it out of my system.

That was the best! At first I tried to rationalize that, figuring that maybe they didn’t want to commit to picking a sideways direction to run, since it could topple that direction and smush them anyway. But then it is a donut, and you could try to do a Buster Keaton and make sure you were where the hole would be if it did fall your direction. And then Charlize was very slowly crushed and I gave up on the rationalization and went with it. I assumed she just had a death wish, as most horror film victims seem to.

All the characters’ decisions in this movie are baffling. From not running off to the side of the donut, to the boyfriend throwing off his helmet as soon as possible, to the captain shacking up instead of helping the guys crying out for help, (although, you know, Charlize Theron, so maybe that’s forgivable) to running off into the facility and getting lost, to cooing at the monstrous alien cobra, to having no one comment on the protagonist’s alien abortion. I can’t remember who it was, but someone tried their hardest to convince people that everyone’s crazy reactions were borne out of panic, but that doesn’t hold up because a lot of the crazy wasn’t a reaction to anything. It was just dumb.

Prometheus is a bewildering mish-mash of terrific imagery coupled with nonsensical bullshit. Even the stuff that’s supposed to be deep and mysterious is total hogwash. It’s a dada exhibit pretending to be a display of Roman vases. I’ve only watched it twice. Once in the theater and once on cable, and I only watched it a second time to make sure I hadn’t just missed a bunch of stuff when I saw it the first time. I regret the hours I spent that I’ll never get back.

I would like to add that I really liked Fassbinder’s character in this movie, and I’ll see the sequel just for him. He was an interesting enigma, seemed to be in place to push things along in interesting little ways, an agent of chaos in the middle of this scientific expedition. I liked that he styled himself after Peter O’Toole after spending the trip watching Lawrence of Arabia. I liked that he could be mischievous and peevish by turn, while ostensibly possessing no emotions or “soul”. I enjoyed his exchange with the doctor at the pool table, when he asked why humans created machines like him, and was answered “well, just because we could I guess”, and his response: “Can you imagine how disappointing it would be to meet your maker and receive that answer?”

Greek vases, but I had to laugh and cheer that definition. I did enjoy Fassbender’s performance, and Theron. I don’t regret seeing it at the theater with big screen and sound (I come from the era when SF flicks were so few and far between you watched them all regardless of whether they were good or bad). But I just want to strangle LindeLost for that Chariot of the Gods script.

It is an awesome movie!! Totally worth seeing.

Good try, Ridley.

haha, okay - that got me laughing out loud!

It’s a good companion piece to Kelly Wand’s Prometheopsis.

LOL, prompted by this thread I listened to the Prometheopsis, which I’d missed at the time. Priceless! :) :) :)

I listen to the Prometheopsis at least once every few months and often every few weeks. I lose it everytime…well…so many times. KW’s talking head confusion, goo-snake attack, and so much more. I still say ‘cool’ like KW’s impersonation of the Captain’s reply to being asked crash his ship. No one has any clue why/what this means. But I do and it makes me giggle.

As bad as Prometheus is/was it has given me so much joy via the 'opsis filter.

I’m rather annoyed that I never got to hear a final 'opsis of the Hobbit Triology. The first two were close to the Prometheopsis (especially the first) in replayability.

I would have agreed with you before I actually saw the last hobbit movie. Since it was just a big long crazy action sequence with decent CG and a snappy pace, it wasn’t nearly as terrible as the first two movies (I actually kind of liked it and I suspect Kelly would have as well). I think Kellywand needs maximum contempt for a movie in order to create something as timeless and gratifying as the Prometheopsis.

-Tom

I would agree with that 99% of the time. The Blackhopsis is good proof of that and I think it might be Kelly Wand’s best opsis. The one real big exception to that I think is the Under the Skopsis which (in my opinion) was excellent.

Sorry for getting off-topic folks.

How big was the donut? Would running sideways have made a difference? It can’t have been too dumb to run forwards, as she survived.

What’s remarkable about this movie is how many people there are who just can’t stop blurting out their disappointment that it wasn’t the Alien movie THEY wanted, whenever the topic arises. The worst is where it comes up on Reddit, and the haters absolutely come out in droves, and anyone who says they like it gets downvoted to hell and insulted. You’re not allowed to like something that the sheep do not like.

That said, I here speak up for those who liked this movie, and reiterate on behalf of the likers, Prometheus is the best Alien movie of the modern day given how they have all aged. In case anyone is reading this thread, and gets the opinion that the haters are all that exists. I’d like to take all the haters and sit them in a theatre and make them listen to the Oblivion soundtrack over and over, I think it would be more effective than country music.

TLDR: Speaking up for the silent majority who liked this movie, I enjoyed Prometheus thoroughly and consider it one of the best sci-fi movies of the decade, extremely enjoyable with great characters.