So, is the 3DS a dead platform?

I’d love to hear from people, and see what their top 3 must have 3DS games are. I’d like to buy some of the best games from the store while I still can :)

I honestly have no idea how rare the cartridges are, but Super Mario 3D Land is probably what I’ve played the most on the 3DS. On the eShop side of things, Pocket Card Jockey is a must-have if you like solitaire games.

I really should compile a more comprehensive list though.

The definitive versions of Zelda OOT and MM are on the 3DS IMO. The control schemes have been re-worked, they look good on the small screen, and OOT has the Master Mode included.

The 3DS has so many great games that narrowing it down to 3 is too hard!

There are entire series of games where most entries are great such as Fire Emblem, Mario & Luigi, Etrian Odyssey, Dragon Quest, which makes picking the best within those series very difficult. These are some of my favorites (very JRPG-centric list, so perhaps others will recommend more platformers or action games):

• Fire Emblem: Awakening
  • Radiant Historia (Perfect Chronology edition)
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV
  • SMT: Strange Journey Redux
  • Mario and Luigi: Browser’s Inside Story
  • Etrian Odyssey IV
  • Dragon Quest VIII
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • 7th Dragon III
  • Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

The Monster Hunter, and Pokemon games are also good, along with the aforementioned N64 Zelda ports which I own but still haven’t played.

If you’re also looking for DS games to play (which you will need to find physical copies of), I recommend these:

• Shiren the Adventurer Mystery Dungeon
  • Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
  • Final Fantasy IV
  • Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Portraint of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia
  • Dragon Quest IV, V, and VI

I don’t think so. I do not believe it will become soon. Just my opinion.

Why is DLC so awkward on the 3DS.
insert sad emoji face

I think some of the best games are those that leverage the 3D and that includes the Sega games they produced that take some of their historical greats and use the 3D to provide something new.

They’re all on sale right now. Highly recommended. This should list them all.

So I want to get a copy of Chrono Trigger DS. But it only goes for well over 100 on eBay. Crazy.

I’m glad I bought my copy when I did then! I got that and Radiant Historia for a relative steal many years ago.

I’m pretty sad that the switch doesn’t support DS/3DS cartridges.

I’m spending all my money on DLC for Fire Emblem Awaken like an idiot. These map packs seem absurdly overpriced.

Sounds like all the Etrian Odyssey games are on sale for quite a discount. They all seem very similar though. If you’ve got one is there much point in getting another?

Don’t think they’re particularly more similar to one another than most series are. They share a lot of core mechanics, but there are tweaks and systems that are unique to each. The reason to have more than one is to be able to explore a different labyrinth and fight different monsters with a different set of character classes. They’re long enough that you’ll probably want to play something else after finishing one, but if you like the gameplay formula I wouldn’t be surprised if you wanted to go back for another one months/years later.

Well for the price I might as well pick up another. Is there a definitive “best” version I wonder? I’ve got Untold Millenium Girl. Maybe EOV? Nexus is apparently newer than that.

I went through this exercise the last sale a few months ago when I loaded up too. I was also trying to find the definitive Etrian. I though 4 was the most recommended from what I could find I think Nexus is sort of a greatest hits maybe, which seems compelling but it wasn’t as high on most lists. I know Untold Millennium girl and Fafnir knight are remakes of 1 and 2. They include a more typical JRPG story mode with pregen characters and a more structured storyline along with the typical Etrian fare. I bought so many of these in that sale and haven’t played any yet since I’ve been playing Devil Summoner instead. It’s a good SMT game. Strange Journey Redux uses the Etrian engine too I think.

So I think I’m may cover my bases and go with EO2U and EOIV. Only problem I discovered is that i no longer have any funds in my account. I couldn’t figure out why my last balance of $17 suddenly went to 0 with no indication of a game purchase back in September of 2019 and then I realized that that’s when I bought the Switch and probably linked my account and had the balance transferred. I was wondering if there would be a kind soul living in the US (as I set my account up as a US account) would be interested in purchasing an eShop card for me and sending me the information. Just $20 probably. I can PayPal back and cover any fees if there are any. If you’d be willing to help out please shoot me a PM and we could work something out.

Log into your Nintendo online account and you can add funds to that via credit card. That can still be used in the 3DS shop.

I just want to jump in and say the Etrian Odysey Milenium Girl is in my 3DS at the moment, and has been for a long time on the rare occasion I play it. And I don’t enjoy the game. I am playing on story mode which gives (I understand) a balanced team to run through the labyrinth. There’s a game mechanic which is unclear - the grimoires, and the means to crafting them. I’ve gone onto GameFAQS for instance (now that’s a blast from the past) and nothing has been able to help me. The game itself feels repetitive, and I honestly have no clue anymore about the right way to skill up characters.

So you don’t think it would matter if I was buying from Canada using a Canadian credit card?

I’m a bit confused by the Grimoire stones as well. Apparently they’re done better in Untold 2, from what I’ve read on the Internets.

Yeah I’m at a point where I’m thinking I might just give up on the first game and move on. I reached the point where I collected the Wyvern egg… which is only in the second stratum. I think I’ll give the game a bit more and if it doesn’t improve soon, it’ll be a case of shelve it and move on.