So, is the 3DS a dead platform?

7th Dragon III Code: VFD is also on sale. Full Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack. Definitely another game among all the high points on the 3DS and pretty unique. Unfortunately, we never got the other three games in the series here. Rieko Kodama of Skies of Arcadia fame produced the first game in the series and co-produced on this one.

Yes! One one the most overlooked JRPGs on the 3DS.

One little thing I’ve come to appreciate with my 3ds is connecting it to a decent speaker via aux cable. I’ve got a JBL Bluetooth speaker that supports an auxiliary input. Certainly with playing Etrian odyssey, it helps when navigating through the labyrinth hearing the party comment that there’s a feature nearby that the poor 3ds speakers don’t do well enough with.

I did try a Bluetooth adaptor for it, but the slight delay sucked, and the dongle hanging out the bottom was as inconvenient as any cable.

Just to test, add $10 to your Switch account, then go on your 3DS and see if there is $10 in credit there. If there is, then your accounts are linked, and you can add funds all the way through March 2023 to buy games.

I was actually able to buy it through the online webpage. Actually i have a feeling that I could have bought it though my DS but I got my credit card details entered and then it wanted to know the zip code for my credit card billing and I thought it wouldn’t work but it probably would have.

So I just got my 3DS modded and omg it’s so great. Been adding so many games to it.

Awesome, the library it supports is incredible. What model did you pickup Brian? I’ve got a 3DS XL that gets a lot of use at home.

Yeah, I’ve got a modded Vita for a lot of games, but nothing can really do a DS/3DS justice like an original unit. I’ve a 3DS XL, and I paid someone on Etsy to mod it for me.

Emulating the dual screen just doesn’t feel the same, right? By mod are you meaning CFW or physically adjust the unit? I was thinking about trying to buy a lower IPS screen and see if I can get someone to install it for me, but it’s a bit of a hassle.

Oh the unit is physical the same, it’s the software that’s modded now. I could’ve done it myself but the instructions made my brain melt so I paid someone else to do it.

It is a bit tedious, especially when you have to go into the system menu where the UI becomes super utilitarian. Still, I’m glad that buying a special game cartridge and being on a specific firmware that you can’t roll back to is no longer required. I bet you’ll have lots of fun with it. :)

Not sure, hopefully.

But yeah, so far it’s been amazing. I love the Switch, but the DS/3DS is something special.

Oh yeah, I should’ve said I was just referring to that being the situation years ago. It’s much quicker, if a bit fiddly, to setup now

Well that’s good. I have to admit I’m glad folks out there will do it for me though. I was too afraid to brick the damned thing.

Hey has anyone here replaced the battery in their 3DS? Is it easy? The battery I’m currently using doesn’t seem to last as long as it used to so I wanna put a new one in there.

Thanks!

Edit: Apparently, if you leave this thing charged too much it reaalllly kills the battery, so apparently you charge and unplug often, rather than leaving it charging. Whoops.

Yeah, don’t leave it on the charger. I’m in the process of looking for a new battery myself, so thanks for the reminder! From what I’ve read briefly though, the replacement batteries don’t seem to endure as well as the original. I don’t know there.

This guide from ifixit should help. It is really easy to replace.

It’s about as complicated as replacing the SD card which is definitely worth doing if you haven’t already.

Oh yeah I got a 128gb in the thing. Ordered a new battery from eBay that does claim to be an original Nintendo model, so I hope that’s true.

Nice thinking Brian. I ended up grabbing a 128GB myself to replace the 32 I had in mine. Come to think of it, I reckon I spent as much on the 32GB years ago as I did on the 128GB now.

I’ll admit, there’s a lot of sentimentality with my DS/3DS games and library. I’m in no hurry to see them obsolete, so I also grabbed a ‘like new’ 3DS online just so I have a backup in case mine fails. Maybe silly on my behalf, but it is what it is.

The demand skyrocketed during the lockdown, at least where I’m based. A couple of years ago they were quite cheap. I got a 2DS XL not long ago and although the build quality isn’t great it’s nice and light.

Yeah, demand skyrocketed even when Nintendo announced they were ending the 3ds line. The writing was on the wall for a while. I wish I purchased a new one when I thought of it around that time, as I realised I had accumulated a decent library of games. But all the same, the one I purchased still looks in great condition and is identical to what I currently have (a blue ‘new’ 3ds).

Truth be told, if Nintendo had a Switch console that incorporated a port for the DS/3DS catridge, I’d be on that in a heartbeat. Remains to be seen what library of games they release for the Switch in the DS/3DS lineup later down the path .