Social media controls the world

#8 sounds plausible.

Yay for tiny weird online communities!

"For the last twenty years, I believed the internet prophets of old. I worshipped at the altar of Stewart Brand and Kevin Kelly. I believed that the world would be a better place if everyone had a voice. I believed that the world would be a better place if we all had no secrets.

But so far, the evidence points to an escapable conclusion: we were all wrong.

Or, to be generous, if we weren’t wrong, we were so far off on time scale that those who bought into the vision were mislead into thinking that the benefits would come in their lifetime. They aren’t going to."

That was already posted on Qt3 in some P&R thread.

I resisted a snarky remark about it before but can’t help myself now. When he says “we were all wrong” what he really means is “We believed everyone was as smart as we think ourselves. Instead we discovered people are dumb. Next time we’ll tell them what to think before the bad actors do.”

Unpossibe, I have the best searching. Tremendous.

Also, I hate that companies have people paid to do this:
https://twitter.com/mattwhitlockPM/status/948022216909783040
https://twitter.com/leila_fong/status/948213954769248258
https://twitter.com/JambaJuice/status/948215438793740288

Minorities are still denied equal voices on the internet — harassed off of it, or still unable to even get online.

Step 1: When minority groups talk, try listening before you tell them they’re wrong. Maybe, just maybe, we know more about racism than middle-aged white guys.

How, on the internet, do you know you are talking to a minority? There are some places where I believe the posters when they admit to being a minority, and I say admit because in some places that may not be a good thing to do. There are other places on the internet where you can’t always believe what you are told by anyone.

Sports forums are an example of places notorious for people trolling about just about anything.

We’re talking about Social Media right, where you have things like pictures and real names?

I have seen lots of fake Twitter accounts shown here. I do admit to knowing nothing about it though as I don’t do social media. I am not that social.

To some extent this problem was confronted by biologists about what to do with creationists. If you debate them, you legitimize their point of view and contribute to false equivalency. If you don’t debate them, you open yourself to charges that you’re dodging debate because you don’t want to be exposed as a fraud. Many, like Dawkins, have chosen to actively engage with creationists and debate them.

Honestly, I find it hard to shame career scientists who are passionate about their work and simply want to share their knowledge and stamp out misinformation wherever it crops up. Yes, that inherently opens them up to trolling, but if the ‘audience’ (e.g. the rest of us) prefers the troll to the serious scientists, then something has gone egregiously wrong with their/our upbringing. That’s where the buck stops.

I have direct experience with a marketing department who “has ways” (nothing nefarious, just legwork) to figure out most people’s demographic profiles very quickly. Basically, most people aren’t as anonymous online as they think. That’s not to say you can’t be, but the vast majority of people aren’t very careful with their personal details.

Yeah, but in general communication, do we take the time and the effort, assuming we know how, to do this? Should we? Maybe that’s the price of a connected world, more due diligence, but that puts a real damper on things.

Nessrie’s point is valid, though; whether someone is or just seems to be someone in a category not endorsed by whatever power structure is dominant in that particular space, they do tend to get attacked. But I also agree that it’s very hard to be sure about who is who online often enough.

Given that all it takes though is for someone to appear to be (fill in the blank), for them to get harassed or worse, maybe it doesn’t matter. The behavior is the same either way.

Yes that topic is here What If We Were Wrong About the Internet?

Curly fries!

No, for real, click the link. It’s educational.

Silverman is a better person than I am or will likely ever be apparently.

He could still be trolling her, dunno. (Didn’t read the whole conversation.)

Why don’t they just make a separate “Terms of Service” for government officials?

High Terms of Service.