Social media controls the world

Good to remember. I sometimes forget the roots of the shitshow.

Are we still claiming this trending twaddle is unaffected by the brainworms of the twit in chief?

Screenshot 2022-12-21 011334

Post has acquired the key George Takei demographic. OH MY.

He’s been on Mastodon for months.

https://twitter.com/ebakerwhite/status/1606020524122832897

According to materials reviewed by Forbes , ByteDance tracked multiple Forbes journalists as part of this covert surveillance campaign, which was designed to unearth the source of leaks inside the company following a drumbeat of stories exposing the company’s ongoing links to China. As a result of the investigation into the surveillance tactics, ByteDance fired Chris Lepitak, its chief internal auditor who led the team responsible for them. The China-based executive Song Ye, who Lepitak reported to and who reports directly to ByteDance CEO Rubo Liang, resigned.

“Fun” article. I like this summary tweet.

Facebook pays $725 million to make the Cambridge Analytica data privacy suit go away:

We need a law around privacy issues/breaches that costs a minimum per instance.
Like, let’s say $1k to each person affected, before punitive damages.

As it is, it reads to me “Facebook paying about $8 per person to violate your rights and then make money off the back of what they did.” And that assumes they even got caught in the first place.

If EA (and every other org/corporation ever) wants my information, they should have to pay me money when they fuck up and lose it.
Then they can either stop asking for it or take keeping it secure seriously.

Can we do something about the credit rating agencies while we’re at it? Since none of us ever volunteered for that shit.

FB ad server says “Merry Christmas! You seem to be old, and maybe own your own home.”

Thanks, I hate it.

If you want to look on the bright side, a lot of GenXers and older Millenials are taking care of parents now…I’m sure they’re targeting us too.

Good point, charmtrap.

Also, going on little choo-choo rides up and down the stairs is fun for teens, tweens, and kids!

Every time I see a stairlift I think of Gremlins.

Same.

I think you’ll find that most aging people are not fond of stairs. I’m not ready for the choo-choo ride but I won’t look down on anyone who would rather get that than move out of a beloved home.

We once rented a beach house that had an elevator in it. The elevator moved at maybe 2 MPH but my mother in law (who was probably in her late 70s at the time) absolutely loved it.

fixed! (not really)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/01/05/twitter-blue-verification/

“Elon Musk said Twitter would begin authenticating users who pay $8 for Blue. Our tech columnist was still able to get a checkmark for an impostor Sen. Ed Markey.”

Social media might control the world, but Parler sure doesn’t.

Does Dan Bongino still own that?

Apparently Labour support the amendment, so in theory it could pass.