Solasta: Crown of the Magister (Turn-Based Fifth Ed.)

Bought the two DLC today. On GOG. I like my good RPGs DRM-free! :D

Do Steam workshop campaigns and mods work with the GOG version?

Probably, or you can buy at retail on GOG, and wait to buy on Steam when it’s rental price (since Steam is a rental), like 99 cents. By the time I’m done with the real content, it’ll be there.

I thought the community (gaming, not Qt3 per se) had moved beyond the whole Secu-steam stuff.

I feel like I accidentally went back to 2004.

I would hope so? I do have the base version on Steam as well, so maybe I can just download a campaign on the Steam version and copy the files somewhere? Not sure. I have yet to play the base campaign anyway.

Checked and you can’t use Steam workshop campaigns with the GOG version for obvious reasons, but many campaign authors also put them up on Nexus mods, and you can download them from there and use them in the GOG version, so the answer is “kind of yes”.

I bet you can, if you can download them.

Well, yeah, but not if you don’t have the Steam version as well. Or can you download stuff from the Steam workshop even when you don’t have the game in your library? I never used it, so I don’t know.

I don’t think so - to install a mod in the workshop you “subscribe” to it and it auto downloads and installs. It’s awesome and I have been thoroughly spoiled by it, to the point where if I have to go to a nexus of any kind my eyes glaze over and I don’t mod!

These guys certainly move quickly. I wonder if they will get their next expansion/full-adventure out before Baldur’s Gate 3?

I bought this on sale at Steam for $15ish. Hope I don’t regret it! (Although given my backlog, it may be years before I find out.)

What’s the feedback on the new campaign that was released for the DLC? That’s my main interest: the initial campaign failed to hold my interest past level 5 or so. The tactical combat is good (not great IMO, but good) but the campaign and the character faces/voices left me lukewarm enough I only played a few hours total.

Is the new campaign any good? Is there any improvement or even any change to the character/voice issue? (The second issue is less important than the first, to me.)

I haven’t played it, but reading over the reviews on steam, I don’t get the impression that the campaign story is any better. People don’t seem to be praising the story or voices but more the amount of ‘content’. I’d guess it’s less linear but not a compelling story?

I know a little about your tastes from other game threads, and your previous comments here regarding Solasta, and I think you should skip this one. It’s not going to be what you want, I suspect.

Fair enough. Sigh.

My overall impression of Solasta is that its a pretty good toolbox but not actually much of an RPG/Game/Story/Experience of the type I enjoy.

On the upside, it does seem likely that with a good toolbox, eventually there will be some worthwhile campaigns, at least by users. As an example, I’ve long felt the very best content for one of my all time favorite games, Heroes of Might & Magic III, was actually the user content that came out. Anyone here remember that stupendously epic XXL Barbarian map/scenario that some crazed genius wrote? And of course, my own Tunnel to Tintagel remains a favorite (although sadly I have no idea if it still exists out in the wilds of the intartubes anymore - I’ve lost any of my own copies.)

Edit: The Internet is is MAGIC! – Disclaimer I wrote this thing like 20 years ago and haven’t touched it in years; it may stink to high heaven but I remember it fondly.

Mortismal Gaming posted this review; he’s a fairly big fan of RPGs and he only reviews games after completing them 100% (all achievements, etc). Spoiler: he recommends the DLC, though you might want to check his review of the base game and new subclasses as well.

I’ve played a few hours into the campaign. Without giving away the story, it seems to give you more interesting choices overall, and some of the NPCs are more interesting. But the dialog and voice acting is similar to the original.

The people creating campaigns are getting more options in the new release, such as more ability to add scripting. Since I’ve been playing the DLC campaign, I’ve not tried out any of the custom content using the new tools. The biggest weakness has been the customer authors could not do conversations. However even before the new capabilities, Silverquick and other have made custom modules I’ve enjoyed playing.

Note: I do run the Community mod that allows multiclassing and alot of options regarding quality of life.

There is just something about 5E that seems to make me lose interest.

I just hit level 10 and… man I just don’t feel like playing much.

I think Concentration is both a great idea and a fatal flaw. Same with counterspell.
I dunno it just starts feeling samey after a bit. Whereas I rarely lose interest in a run of Pathfinder, both Solasta attempts kind of lost steam for me.

Huh, that feeling is interesting given the number of similarities I feel in 5E and Pathfinder. Do you generally find more of the engaging play with wizards or other magic classes compared to melee classes?