Some RPG design lessons from Divine Divinity

I tried again briefly, and I just can’t get past the negatives. Yeah, I know we put up with these flaws in our old RPGs. I certainly did, and I devoured many an old RPG in doing so. I’m just a lot bigger on “ease of play” now I guess. I can’t do as GuildBoss suggests and just ignore it and “move on”

I have a high tolerance for pain and suffering. :) :lol:

I have no idea why I said Questron 2. I meant Questron. Apparently my brain needs an oil change.

Back to DD:

I’m on the verge of buying this game after playing the demo, but I want to know: does anyone else have trouble clicking on stuff? I click on a monster, the guy runs next to the monster and stands there. I click on a spot on the ground near a wall, the guy runs through a door and into another room next to that wall. I click on a pile of gold or a door, and the guy runs next to the pile of gold or door without picking it up or opening the door. It’s ruining the game for me.

I checked the official forums, and there is no mention of this (to me) glaringly obvious bug. Anyone?

Thanks.

DeanCo–

Don’t know if you know this… but you can use the ctrl key to target the monster closest to you, and you can use the alt key ala Diablo 2 to show the object, and all you have to do is click on the text.

etc

“and you can use the alt key ala Diablo 2 to show the object, and all you have to do is click on the text.”

Yeah, I click on the text, half the time he picks up the gold, half the time he doesn’t. I’ve started using the middle of the pointer as the hotspot, but it’s disconcerting.

Is it my mouse, or a game bug? I remind you, I’m playing the demo.

DeanCo–

I have noticed that sometimes clicks don’t “take” the first time, but it hasn’t been more than a minor annoyance for me.

I’m seriously considering getting this one myself. Here is what I want to know: Is the gameplay deep? More specifically, is the character progression deep? I like games where I really feel like I am creating a character as I go along and that I have real control over the path they take. The more choices I have the better. So, I like Diablo 2 better than Diablo, because there were more skills and classes. See what I mean? How does DD fare on this issue?

You have a lot of choices when allocating skill points. There are three different skillsets (Wizard, Warrior, and Survivor) and there are no restrictions on choosing skills from each set. The game actually pans out pretty well in terms of being able to put together a distinctive set of skills. For instance, my character is a master mage with the fireball spell and a fair summoner, but his lightning spell is low, as are many others. He can pick most locks but can’t pick pockets. He can use charms to enchant weapons and armor, but can’t swing a sword to save his life. :)

To reinforce that, the character I played was largely a “Survivor” skillset, the equivalent of a thief/rogue with some additional areas. But within that I chose specialization so I was full skill at picking locks, applying poison, and backstabbing but I couldn’t pickpockets or set a trap (or evade them) to save my life. Instead I planted those skill points into Wizard’s path tricks like telekinisis and wizard’s sight, and Warrior path damage evasion techniques. Ending up with a rather high-class jewel thief who didn’t mind a little assassination here and there but turned up his nose at stealing from common peasants.

The paths are really more umbrellas of skill categories and there a number of handy skills that every character might need spread across them. Players are probably doing themselves a disservice if they don’t pick and choose a little from different categories as there is no penalty for doing so.