Someone explain Twitch to me

And that’s why neural interfacing is important.

Oh, if I could have that just for coding. It’s really too bad that coding via voice recognition isn’t really useful yet - there are people attempting it, but it’s more like they are replacing hotkeys with voice commands, not writing code itself.

Look at those donation numbers!

Incredible.

There’s people out there with FAR too much cash on their hands. And WAY too much time.
Then they spend it on streamers on twitter. Bah.

(Then there’s the subscribers who pay $5/month for a channel, usually for stuff like emotes. This adds up rapidly, as you might guess!)

I wonder how long these guys and gals can rely solely on this for income as their reflexes decline with age. That Fatal1ty dude has got to be an old man by now in gamer years and I have no idea if he still competes as I don’t follow that stuff, but he’s seems to have done well for himself as I still see Soundblaster cards marketed with his l33t name.

Someone did some quick & dirty napkin math on this “summit1g” guy.

Each subscription is $5.00 a month. After taxes and Twitch’s 50% cut, he gets about $1.20 per subscription per month.

$1.20 x 9200 average subs for 2014 = $11,040.00 per month.

At the same time, he averages $500.00 in donations every day he streams. That works out to roughly $13k a month. (He takes a day off from streaming each week.)

Add it all together and you get $288,480.00 for 2014.

That’s not even including the sponsorship money he shares with his buddies in the network.

JMR - He hasn’t played competitively since the of like 2007, as I recall.
And the branding is his, it’s a partnership thing he does with manufacturers.

telefrog - the big boys get 60%, maybe even 65%.

edit: what he said

That is the guy that a few days ago labelled lurking in twitch chat without donating equivalent to pirating movies.

What a knob. A rich knob, but a knob nonetheless.

I know a couple steamers I watch have noted that they get about $3 of every $5 sub. But these guys have over 3k subs and last I heard CohhCarnage has over 5100. Then you can add in sponsorships and donations and the top steamers are making some real nice money.

Yup. The 50% figure is for when you first start out and Twitch makes you a “partner” as an independent. Obviously, if you’re part of an already established stream crew, you can negotiate for a bigger cut. I know some of the early partners were able to get 75%, but that was when Twitch was getting established and just threw out mad money.

Anyway, those were rough figures, so it’s very likely that summit1g makes a lot more than a quarter million a year from talking shit and playing video games five days out of the week. I don’t know if he is one of them, but some of the Youtube/Twitch streamers have gotten baller enough to warrant getting an agent. Imagine that! An agent. For playing video games.

I wonder what this level of constant attention does to one’s head. Some celebrities clearly can’t handle not being in the spotlight, so when you’re streaming constantly and have a rapt audience for everything that comes out of your mouth, what happens when people stop caring/listening/watching? Celebrities were a tiny minority of the population, but the great democratization of “celebrity” means it’s possible more people in the world will become more and more desperate for attention as the lights go off. That should be, er, fun.

So this is dumb, and I don’t know if this is Twitch specific, I’m not paying close attention to the difference between Twitch and UStream.

Why does everyone put “HYPE” in their stream names?

I check the PS4 streams pretty frequently because sometimes there’s something cool (someone streaming a game I’m interested in) and sometimes there’s something so strange I can’t turn away (a British guy simply playing the role of commentator over WWE matches he’s not actually playing). Across the board, whatever they’re streaming, HYPE is by far the most common word they put in their stream title:

[ul]
[li]DJ42Oz HYPE stream bored ask me anything[/li][li]GTAV road to 2mil followers HYPE[/li][li]-HYPE- Crota Hard Mode with followers[/li][li]A quiet guy meticulously HYPE recreating his suburbs in Minecraft[/li][/ul]
I’m being silly, but seriously, is hype some magical keyword that draws followers? Is it some kind of ironic in-joke among streamers? Is this like bae? I also don’t know what bae means. Am I old?

Welcome to the club.

I didn’t realize “bae” was a thing either, but the top result in the Urban Dictionary is pretty amusing:

Bæ/bae is a Danish word for poop. Also used by people on the internet who think it means baby, sweetie etc.
Bae I love u so much

Brian, my bae

I just made a bæ

-Todd

Yes, and you thinking about it way too much. It is just slang.

Haha, I’ll bet you’re not on fleek either. Not to derail things, but this stuff is silly/fascinating: Bae, is your social media strategy on fleek? - Digiday

Makes sense I guess. Just seemed weirdly specific to streaming; there’s plenty of slang I’m vaguely aware of and don’t really get but I see all over the internet, this hype thing I’ve only noticed on streaming feeds.

Ding.

I think it grew to popularity in the gaming scene recently via the FGC–fighting games community (plus the weird Smash Brothers vestigial limb)–as part of their vernacular, which also includes words like “salty,” “bodied,” and “johns” (of which salty is also getting mainstreaming gaming usage). Hype is excitement, but it’s also intensity, and entertainment value, and watchability, and community fervor, and a lot of other little things sort of packaged together into one all-purpose word. There’s a little bit of overlap with inner city and rap culture here, as is usually the case with cool fads that white people are ruining on the internet ;). But thanks to the large FGC scenes in places like Atlanta, LA, and NYC/Jersey, that culture sorta gets sucked into and refiltered by gaming culture pretty regularly.

Anyway, whether or not FGC gets the final “credit” for bringing this new variation of the word into gamerslang, it’s there now and fairly widespread. Nothing to worry about, it’s not our secret codeword to communicate that we’re using those streams to plot your tragic, “accidental” deaths, old people. I promise!