Someone explain Twitch to me

Rules changed recently. Odds are he played 3+ songs, each one becomes a strike on his account and at 3 your account is banned.

It’s well-oiled machine over at Twitch.

I’ve actually been following this stuff for a bit, and while I do feel that Devin Nash acts a little too alarmist, I do agree with his assessment that Twitch has no idea what sort of shitstorm is heading their way with regards to DMCA (and neither do many of the streamers).

Twitch bungling something like this checks out.

Twitch addressed DMCA concerns in their blog today.

I skimmed it and didn’t see anything about re-evaluating the strike process in general. I still have no dog in this fight but enjoy seeing these social media conglomerates struggle to do reasonable things. I try to rise above, but it doesn’t always work!

You guys should really watch this video that explains the DMCA issue with an entertaining subject.

Waaaaaaaaayy NSFW subject matter.

Basically, there’s no downside to these companies for obeying DMCA or even pre-emptively acting on potential copyright strikes. There’s a (thus far) inexhaustible supply of new creators for these free services, so turnover doesn’t matter. Moving to other platforms is a no-go for big creators unless you’re getting paid to make up for the audience loss from the move. On the flip side, the potential loss of revenue if a DMCA were found to have been disobeyed and it held merit in court is huge.

Third, we need to give you the ability to actually review your allegedly infringing content when you receive a DMCA notification, in addition to the details already provided in our takedown notifications - that is, information about what copyrighted work was allegedly infringed, who the claimant is, and how the claimant can be contacted. We also need to help you more easily file counter notifications if you believe you have the rights to use the content–for example, because you’ve secured a license, believe the use is a fair use, the claimant does not control the rights, or believe you have the right to use the music without permission.

Oh, we need to give you information. Sorry bout that, we’ll maybe start doing that instead of just nuking everything from orbit and telling you to get fucked when you ask what is happening. You might even be able to defend yourself in the future from bullshit take downs. Maybe.

Yeah twitch is being staggeringly incompetent.

Another streamer I was watching mentioned that he was told he had a DMCA in passing, and when he followed up asking what it was for (because apparently he did go out and licensed music to play), was told nope, can’t (or unable) to tell you what.

Monstercat outlined the new program in a post on its website today. If streamers subscribe to Monstercat Gold for $5 per month, they now gain access not only to a library of songs they can play during their streams, but also Twitch affiliate status. Affiliate is Twitch’s first monetization tier, which allows streamers to gain paid subscribers and Bits, which are basically a donation currency. Before this year, the only way to become an affiliate was to unlock it by having at least 50 followers, 500 total minutes broadcast, an average of 3 or more concurrent viewers, and streaming on 7 different days.

While it’s much easier to become an affiliate than it is to achieve Twitch’s coveted partner status (which requires an average of 75 concurrent viewers, among other things), it’s still something thousands and thousands of streamers have had to earn over the years. Now people can just buy it—as part of a band-aid over a much larger issue that Twitch and Amazon could address by spending their own money to license music like Facebook has, but have chosen not to. Streamers are baffled by Twitch’s decision.

This Monstercat promotion, then, just turns long-simmering subtext into text: Affiliate and partner status don’t mean anything. They’re just means of incentivizing streamers to do what Twitch wants. Before, that was streaming. Now it’s giving money to companies with which Twitch has made deals. Twitch business partners, at least, must be pleased.

Well if Travis can do it, why not five random Twitch folks?

I had to look them up. Hafu won the second PogChamps chess tournament, so I’m rooting for her. Uh, assuming there’s some sort of competitive event here.

For a long time Hafu was one of Hearthstone’s best arena players, constantly showing up in the top five. Then she started dating another player, left Hearthstone, and last I heard she was streaming chess. Several years ago (when I used to watch HS streams before all the RNG in the game got ramped up and totally ruined the viewing experience), my wife used to force me to wear headphones when watching Hafu play because she had a super duper shrill voice when she’d get excited. But aside from the weird vitamin water and make-up crap she’d try to sell during her streams she was a total expert player and I miss seeing the way she would tackle a game mode I never played myself.

That being said, I can’t believe Hafu has ever eaten at a Wendy’s in her life.

on the other hand…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPWMa0L5Thc

Huh, when I saw this had been bumped I was sure it was because of Twitch getting rid of the “blind play” tag.

Oh 2020, you’re the gift that keeps on giving.

They have salads, and a pretty decent grilled chicken burger.