Someone explain Twitch to me

Bots going bye bye.

Lame. They should have a VTuber of “Wendy” playing and interacting with chat.

Wait… Who’s paying for the bots? Why would anyone other than the streamer do this?

Let’s say that you’re a bad guy who wants to do some kind of Twitch abuse. Maybe comment spam, inflating concurrent viewer counts, or inflating subscriber counts. You’ll create 1000 accounts to do that with. But if you just use those 1000 accounts to send spam, they’ll all get detected and disabled quickly. If you use all of them to subscribe to the one streamer who is paying you, it’ll be equally easy to detect.

What you need is for the bot accounts you made to look as much like real users as possible, and to not cluster together suspiciously. Having all of the bots subscribe to some popular streamers who aren’t part of the scam is a great way to make the accounts look legit and different from each other.

Understood! Thank you.

Out of curiosity, I checked out their 3 previously recorded streams. They couldn’t do much in Among Us (other than the names), but they went with a very Wendy’s colour identity “French Fry” costume in Fall Guys and their Monster Hunter Rise player character was customized to be a kick-ass monster-killing Wendy. Not bad.

In 2016, Twitch imposed a lifetime ban against popular CS:GO streamer James “Phantoml0rd” Varga. The reason for the ban was never made clear—Twitch said only that the channel was closed “due to terms of service violations”—but it was widely assumed to be related to allegations that he was also the owner of the CS:GO skin gambling site CSGOShuffle, which he heavily promoted on his channel.

In 2018, Varga fired back with a lawsuit against Twitch, claiming that it suspended his channel and terminated his contract without providing a required explanation as to why. The suit alleged that Varga was never given written notice of violations and opportunities to correct them as required by the contract, and that his suspension arose from “unsubstantiated, false accusations leveled at Varga by a third party, whose accusations were the culmination of an effort to publicly disparage Varga and take advantage of his popularity.”

Three years later, the matter has finally been concluded, and the winner is Varga: A jury has ruled that Twitch “unfairly interfere[d] with Varga’s right to receive the benefits of the Partnership Agreement,” and that he was harmed by that interference.

As a result, Varga was awarded total damages of $20,720.34: $15,139.34 in lost earnings from the first 30 days of his suspension, plus $3,060 in lost donations, and $2,521 for lost sponsorships and endorsement deals.

Despite his enthusiasm, it’s largely a symbolic win for Varga: Twitch made clear in a statement that it will not pave the way for his return to Twitch. The streaming site said its mistake was purely procedural, and that it has changed its processes for suspending and terminating streamer accounts.

There must be a German word for how I should feel when two assholes face off in court.

I was going to make a post about those yesterday.

I don’t usually go into Just Chatting (or use twitch at all), but it felt like I was browsing one of those other sites. The top one was someone in underwear “cosplay” doing jumping jacks on a trampoline for subs.

I want to balance my negativity and loathing for video game vlogging/streaming by plugging a review channel on YT I stumbled across and enjoy for its humour and catchphrases it’s coined:

You could probably power a small nation with the outrage spent on booby streamers.

Wow. I never go into “Just Chatting” so I guess I’ve missed this bit of Twitch’s wackiness.

The annoying thing is it has been filling the front page of the app recently.

How bad was it? I don’t ever look at the front page.

Plenty of guys doing it too. This is one of the top 3 right now.

NSFW

twitch4

I had nothing better to do so I watched that guy for 20 minutes. He made over $500 in donations o_o

These is more of a Youtube thing, but this seems to be a general “watch people play games” thread.

I’ve become quite a fan of Pravus’s work. He has a great presentation style and I am watching his Baltic Crusader run on his YT Channel. What I really like, though, are the times he breaks out of character and talks about his struggles with mental health, and some other challenges. It’s nice to see people shine a light on how they aren’t always a happy cheery all the time.

The clips showed Leach insulting streamer ZombiUnicorn in 2017, saying they relied on their “horrendous cleavage”, for which he was banned from Twitch at the time, as well as more recent comments Leach directed at a different player while streaming Warzone on FacebookGaming: “Suck my fat, girthy c***, you stupid c***.”

We reached out to Activision, and received the same statement: “Sexism has no place in our industry, our games or in society. Activision is no longer working with Jeff Leach. We strongly condemn these remarks. We are committed to delivering a fun and safe experience for all players.”

Leach responded on Twitter, saying that the clips were taken out of context and showed “me destroying a troll in chat” and were chosen “to fit a character defaming narrative”.

Sounds like the troll was successful, then.