Someone explain Twitch to me

I tended to go out of my way to avoid buying any product with that kind of “l33t” marketing/labeling. But probably in a tiny minority of the customers. I think at one point the only Audigy card you could get that was non-f4t4l was the X-Fi Pro so naturally, had to buy that one…

That stream $ donation picture was sick…

:-)

Then you’re not watching the right streams. Elite Dangerous had quite a few great ones, and the only time I saw ASCII penises was during the stream of the official Beta 2 launch event. The mods finally got on top of it.

Given that I don’t watch streams (I “don’t get it”) except for when I accidentally click a link on a forum/reddit/etc, I’m confident they’re the wrong sort of streams ;)

Hmm. That and the game being of interesting to watch, and the streamer entertaining make a lot of sense to me then thanks. I was always confused why my son, daughter and often ALL THEIR FRIENDS would sit around and watch me game sometimes, at all ages, and still now when some visit from college. So while I was thinking “why are you all watching me?!?!”, it did seem like a natural social activity (to them) and they were talking to each other more than me with random questions about things I did in the games. Well except the original Thief. Synchronized ducking was fun! I am 100% certain I was also far less entertaining than any streamer today, so it is just a habit and certainly was the way they acted with each other on consoles too.

Growing up with three brothers, it’s hard for me to disentangle ‘playing games’ in childhood from ‘watching someone else play games.’ It’s all jumbled together and many of my favorite ‘gaming moments’ actually occurred while peering over a brother’s shoulder.

Playing games with siblings in your youth (something I did as well) still doesn’t equate to watching a streamer on Twitch in my mind. Something meaningful is missing. Part of it is being in the same physical room, influencing and arguing about decisions, and having a deep understanding the mental processes and reactions of your sibling(s)…not to mention taking turns in the hot seat and having a shared experience.

-Todd

I see this linked on reddit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMeGqjnOTp0&

“Who is this?”. It is “dinglederper”, “the most flagged channel on twitch”. A look at her channel shows 50% of her videos are games, the rest are her and a whiteboard doing random crap? And people donate for this stuff.

So this comments starts to ring true for me:

Not disparaging here. Props to her for making buckets of money for basically playing DOTA or whatever and drawing dolphins on a whiteboard.

(Though currently, as I type, her channel is “hosting PhantomL0rd” – I don’t know if her’s physically there or basically she’s asleep so the stream has switched to this guy. But either way he’s playing with a dog and not playing CS:GO as the stream title claims. So it looks like they all do this shit. Edit: I went to close the tab, and dinglederper is there giving the guy a smooch on the cheek, so it looks like physical hosting rather than stream re-direct stuff. Either way they’re still not playing a game – but the chat obviously likes it.)

“Hosting” on Twitch is the term for picking another channel through the website and running it through your own. Your followers can then chat about that channel in your own chat, but they add to the viewers for the hosted channel. It’s nothing sinister or whatever. It’s an inbuilt way to get your own fanbase to go watch somebody else when you’re not streaming.

Chatting is the best thing about Twitch, in my opinion. Its help long hauls in Elite feel much less lonely, but it’s great for all kinds of games.

I’ve won a couple neat things from Twitch giveaways. Won a World of Tanks premium tank a couple weeks ago, last night won a World of Warships beta key. I’m happy with this. And I keep watching the guys that gave them away. There are some nice people on there.

I watch big Magic the Gathering tournament games (real in person matches), almost exclusively from StartCityGames events. I find it remarkably compelling and I learn the top decks and meta.

I used to watch a lot of shoutcast match coverage (way before Twitch) of big Tribes 1 and 2 events.

Twitch builds a PC

Guy spends $2500 on PC parts for his first build. Never watched a PC building tutorial. Refuses to read the manual. Toxic Brit friend helping him. Girlfriend shouting in the other room playing Gears of War. He’s been at this for 9+ hours. I cannot look away from this train wreck. I just want to see if this thing powers on or not.

http://oddshot.tv/shot/likebutterlive-2015102515145224

awesome stuff. That dude is going to brick that system.

That thing is never going to power on. The HDD antics are hilarious, trying to use the drive sled without screwing the drive to it (perhaps they should tape it). Are you sure they aren’t just trolling?

I follow a few streamers, but 20 seconds of that was enough for a lifetime. There’s a great expression in Spanish: “No hay que sufrir calenturas ajenas.” More or less: “One shouldn’t sweat the fevers of strangers.”

I watched it for 2 minutes before I asked myself if I even cared. I didn’t.

This guy is still at it. Day 3 of building his PC. Day 3.

He’s just messing with people at this point, right?

That’s impossible. At some point you isolate it to the motherboard and power supply, right? Then look for a short or buy new ones.

On the second day he seemed to have it up and running, but his graphics card would only work in the second slot. He ripped out the graphics card on the first night and broke off the clip.

It’s gotta be a troll. No one can be that incompetent (not on the breaking the clip part, just in general).