Someone explain Twitch to me

This is awful, someone needs to be sued into oblivion.

A streamer broke her back in two places at a reportedly unsafe stand at TwitchCon San Diego.

The stand, a collaboration between Lenovo and Intel, consisted of a Gladiators-style battle over a foam pit.

However, several streamers were seriously injured at the stand, including Adriana Chechik who confirmed on Twitter she’ll be having surgery to recover.

Article includes a tweet with a video of the incident, which is not visually graphic in any way, but disturbing when you realize the woman broke her back and no one was taking it very seriously.

Article says that participants had to sign waivers to participate.

So… they may be screwed?

The video of it was crazy. There was like 2 inches of foam in the pit. Not sure why anyone thought it was safe to jump into.

Waivers can certainly complicate a lawsuit, but they’re not legally absolutely binding. Places can make you sign a waiver and still lose a lawsuit because they were negligent.

Yeah, if they used way less foam than is indicated or a reasonable person would use, then a waiver doesn’t mean anything.

Of course it’d all be up to a jury to decide, but most likely this would (will) get settled out of court. None of the companies involved want to go to court.

As far as the participants go? Sure, seems like someone could look at that and decide it didn’t look safe, but she didn’t dive or do anything that crazy in her jump. It’s set up ostensibly for people to be knocked off the platform safely into the pit, I don’t blame her or any of the other participants that were injured (article mentions others with leg/ankle injuries).

Oh for sure, a waiver isn’t a be-all-end-all but I think it will depend on what the wording was, and how safe or unsafe the place was.

I think a lot of people who participated said it was not great. Jesse Fararr from YKS and the Go Off Kings said that when he jumped in, he felt concrete, so it is possible it was not set up correctly.

It is a weird gray area, because those trampoline park places feel like lawsuit factories, but they remain open, due to probably pretty ironclad waivers.

If it turns out they just threw it together, they might be in trouble, if they used a vendor who is approved to set up these kinds of things… they might be o.k?

Either way, I am sure insurance will pay for it, and those that got hurt should be able to get some recompense for medical expenses.

Otherwise, it just plain sucks.

Haha. America!

My wife works in accident law, and for sure someone will pay for it. With big pocketed companies like intel/lenovo, a settlement makes this go away.

There were already a couple of injuries beforehand (including a dislocated knee), and the organizers still continued to keep the foam pit running. I saw some comments saying they even kept the event running after the back injury incident. Pretty ridiculous.

Yikes, you can tell both those women hit the solid ground under the foam pretty hard - there was barely any give in the layer of foam. Nowhere near deep enough, then you got large chunks of foam just acting as catalysts to roll over an ankle or lower leg before your weight comes down.

Even worse for the defense at trial, another girl that was knocked off was also injured (broke her ankle iirc).
So the system to prevent injuries failed at it’s primary task when used as intended.

I could easily see a jury siding with the injured parties citing gross negligence.
Which is why there will almost assuredly be a settlement to cover medical costs and some pain and suffering.

This is why experienced performers check this shit out beforehand. They don’t just take the promoter’s word for it. They’re not just being divas.

Expect this to be everywhere soon:

Well, it already is, but I mean actual news instead of Twitch drama channels.

Wow.

I’m not commenting on this specifically since all I’ve seen is the Twitter stuff and I don’t watch her stream, but the comment “Leave you with only $1m” is another one of this “People make HOW much with this?”

When I found out Asmongold makes millions a year it was another holy fuck moment.

It seems insane to me. I guess he’s the equivalent of a top-rated TV show. The whole game streaming thing seems odd to me. I have never been able to get into it.

Actors in top-rated TV shows get more than $1 million/year. He’s getting paid about what a news anchor in a mid-tier market gets. And he streams 12 hours a day most days of the week.

If you want your mind truly blown, how about this: streamers with about 7,000 concurrent viewers, which is good, but not great, get incentives to the tune of $45,000/month to run 6 minutes of ads per hour.

The numbers on that are insane, but it’s also the equivalent of a true full-time job. The hours you need to stream come out to about 38 hours a week.

That said, even for that money, I don’t know I’d want to do that line of work. You need to be constantly “on” and everything is recorded. It really feels like a Truman show situation.

There was a great video by Tefty on the damage streaming did to his physical and mental health. Even taking 5 min to use the loo causes a severe drop in viewers, and he never recovered from even taking a few weeks off.

Oh for sure. It’s tempting to think that it’s an easy way to make good money, but the reality is that there are thousands/tens of thousands of streamers playing for 0 people on Twitch. To get a big audience you have to be pretty special, and it’s extremely demanding. Every minute they aren’t streaming they’re losing money, which is a tough way to live a life.

7k viewers is massive.
CohhCarnage averages around 8k and he’s big (as in 24th biggest revenue on the service).
Mind you he also never took a day off for like… 8 years or something insane.

That would be extremely low by most serious streamers standards.

60 hours a week or more is very common. Most professional streamers take a single day off and usually work at least 8 hours (usually closer to 10). Of course they’re their own boss so they can “call in sick” at will, but missing even one day is often a big hit to them. Also streaming on their day off is pretty common as well.

Now smaller streamers are another story entirely. But they’re also often lucky to be above the poverty line.