Sony is buying Bungie for $3.6 billion

Ha, well if Sony wanted to stick their thumb in Phil’s eye, this is the way to do it -

That sounds incredibly overpriced, but I must confess i usually take the zeros out of any calculations.

But Bungie makes the Halo games also, that are Xbox only, right?

OMG Sony and MS are crossing the streams.

After the deal closes, Bungie will be “an independent subsidiary” of SIE run by a board of directors consisting of current CEO and chairman Pete Parsons and the rest of the studio’s current management team.

Sony has said Bungie will remain a multiplatform studio, with the option “to self-publish and reach players wherever they choose to play.”

Bungie made the Halo games, until they went independent. They just do Destiny these days, I think. But it is funny.

They used to. 343 Studios now makes Halo. Bungie made Destiny and that’s their current ongoing project.

List of Sony owned studios. Bungie not there yet.

@Telefrog pointed out they aren’t going to be under the Playstation Studios bandwagon formerly known as Playstation Exclusives.

But I trust Wikipedia will spread the false info people want soon enough ;D

Man, now this is a story I need to read some kind of Schreier-level expose about. I don’t know where the Bungie leadership’s collective head is at - they were first party for MS, then decided they wanted to be independent and bought themselves out. Then they team up with Activision, didn’t like their deal with them and left that contract. Now they’re going to Sony. Over/under on how long they stick around this time?

You forgot that they were also independent before MS bought them from under Apple’s presentation :O

(with that Halo prototype having been the only game ever presented at a Mac event, I think?)

So what’s in this for Sony if Bungie remains multiplatform? Or are we assuming this is just the same “it will remain multiplatform until we decide it isn’t” language?

But also, Bungie hasn’t demonstrated a lot of development bandwidth. It’s likely going to be years until they’re ready to release anything that isn’t Destiny content.

It’s a weird purchase honestly. I’m not sure Destiny is firing anyone up now, but I guess it must make decent enough recurring revenue. The optics of buying Microsoft’s sloppy seconds is goofy. Keeping it an independent entity right out of the gate is weird, but good news for anyone not on PlayStation that really loves Destiny and I guess Destiny 2.

It’s no Activision/Blizzard that’s for sure. Anyone can look at that deal and see the benefit to the buyer.

Hahahahahaha. Sony responds to the massive punch from Microsoft with a little slap. Hilarious.

OH NO WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO DESTINY NOW oh wait no one cares.

Indeed, that Activision purchase probably is gonna taint any other Big Gaming deals from now on!

I guess Bungie can burn their Bungie Declaration of Independence now.

The only way this could have been any funnier - if Bungie had gone back to MS.

Oh, maybe they played their cards very right, good for them, ha ha!

I don’t think it is. Well, obviously “forever” is never guaranteed in business, but I think the announcement is genuine as far as the intent to let them operate outside of the PlayStation group. The fact that they put that bit in the public announcement at all says a lot.

:-O

I think Destiny will remain multi, because fit with the game and so much versions depend on it.

But the next Bungie game… who knows!

Maybe that was what sealed the deal, Sony would allow their games to remain multiplatform and MS wanted them to do that whole ‘play on any platform that runs Game Pass’ thing they’re doing.