Sony says they aren't doing cross-network play because please think of the children

Yep, that’s what happens when you’re on top, and Sony is most definitely on top.

Microsoft is still competitive, at least on cross-platform titles, so they haven’t returned to their heights of arrogance. But they’re on that road again.

Sure, because they make sure it’s available on PC, and often offer two for one deals.

Which doesn’t address at all the first two points (i.e. the food being bad and the portions being too small).

Xbox seems to be getting about 3-4 retail exclusives a year these days. I think the full list for 2017 was Forza 7, Halo Wars 2, and Super Lucky’s Tale. For 2018 it’s Forza Horizon 4, Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2. And then PUBG that could be counted in either year depending on if you go by early access date or final release date.

PS4 has about 10x as many exclusives; enough that it’d be actual work to figure out the full list. And while I don’t care about most of those games, it’s pretty likely that a list of 30 exclusives contains a few that I want to play. While it’s pretty unlikely for a list of 3 games, unless I happen to really like Forza.

^^ This guy gets it.

There’s no point owning a console if you can play all but threr or four games available on it on some other system where you get all its games and a pile more that you can’t play on Xbox.

They apparently figured this out recently, but it’s going to take them years to catch back up and even then there’s no guarantees anything will be worthwhile since already one dev they bought just shipped a dud (We Happy Few).

Well, the thing is, being “exclusive” doesn’t really matter to me. I mean, I don’t care if I can play the game on another system.

Currently, that lack of exclusives is certainly a reason I don’t get an XBox, because I already have a PS4. But for the next round, I’ll probably get an XBox, because Sony’s online service has been markedly worse than XBL, and that’s a pretty major component of my overall gaming experience.

Even if the games are available on a PC too, the main reason for a console, to me, is to just play stuff on my couch.

Most of the games I’ve played most this past gen, I could have played on an XBox… the biggest exception was probably HZD.

Well, 4k support, blu-ray and backwards compatibility are a few of the reason to take the X Box One X.

Also, it’s skype compatible, which is why I considered buying it. It would be cool to skype with my parents back home in the living room. It would be easy to set up, and it would be a lot of fun.

But in the end, having a gaming PC, I couldn’t be bothered with owning a console. There is nothing in the console world tempts me, especially when I could instead use the extra money not spent on a monthly subscription and overpriced games on other fun activities. Or buying a house. Mostly on buying a house, really.

These are all my reasons for getting the Xbox One X, as well as preferring playing some games in my living room with a controller instead of in front of my PC.

A step in the right direction.

Look on the bright side: you didn’t have to spin that statement out of horseshit and dog farts, then track down two SVPs and a product owner to sign off on it.

Weeeeeeeee!!! (I don’t play fortnite anymore, but is great that Sony can be reasonable about this).

Fortnite players must have run screaming for them to even consider this IMO. I’m glad they seem to have come around on it.

This sounds like PR garbage. Why do they need some extensive test to do this? Xbox and even Nintendo who haven’t exactly been on the bleeding edge with online do,it with no issues. Let PS4 games connect to the servers that allow other platforms too. This isn’t that hard Sony.

I mean, we could take them at face value when they say they want to show that PS4 platform is best for cross play, and assume that they’ll watch performance relative to other plats when playing and optimize. I assume cross play will always be a case by case basis, so like with GPU drivers and specific games, they may optimize for specific traffic to make their platform look best.

By “face value”, I clearly meant “conspiracy theory”.

The best thing about this is that maybe we don’t get into that part of the console wars where the winning side start doing random stuff to annoy the players. Making sure they lose the next console war.

Has a PS4 user, I prefer if Sony don’t abuse the position and shit on us, simply because they can.

Getting some type of Xplay is kind of great, and we don’t live in 2004 anymore.

Like, have you see a Fortnite Save the World streamer playing with a PC subscriber and a XBox subscriber?, thats the future more than everything else.

This is one of the end goals of the Games as a Service model. You make your “service” compelling enough that you take control of the users and make them loyal to you. By offering your software on multiple platforms and telling users that you don’t care where they log in from to get the same experience, you basically displace the platform holder from the relationship.

From what I’m seeing, it seems like this is not complete yet. People can link their system accounts together via Epic, but you still get told you’re not allowed to play using that account on Switch if you try to use the one you have linked to your PS4.

Exactly, which is why PlayStation wasn’t in a hurry to rush to allow this stuff. It’s a fundamental change to the console business model. There are probably conditions and features they are requiring to enable it in Fortnite which is why it’s not as easy as flipping a switch. Xbox games with crossplay have options to opt out, etc, that would not necessarily be built into PS4 clients at this time.