Source Code, The New Duncan Jones Movie

Trailer is out

I watched the trailer and thought this is what would have happened if Groundhog Day was a boring sci-fi movie.

Pass.

This looks like it could be very entertaining mainstream scifi.

While the premise was initially interesting, I started noticing plot holes almost immediately. Like, he can’t remember why he’s there or what’s happening the first time, but he can every subsequent time? Uh, why? And the “let me save her” rubs me the wrong way entirely - if it’s actually time travel (which they claim it isn’t), why not just have him try and prevent it entirely rather than just fishing for information? And if it’s not time travel, his little speech is pretty stupid.

If I’m noticing plot holes just in the trailer, I can only imagine the movie is going to be worse.

I hate this movie already because of the title. “Source code”? Really? Fuck you, Hollywood.

Good point. The title sucks big time. Maybe if it were some sort of Jack Chalker-esque movie where we were tapping into the Matrix, ok. But for this premise? Bleah.

Wow. That is staggeringly stupid.

You don’t think that maybe, just maybe, the film will explain his memory loss with the 90 to 120 minutes of additional running time it has available? Just a thought.

The script is outstanding. I’m looking forward to it.

A really stupid thought. Retard.

Yes, I am retarded because I don’t assume that every single movie is going to play out exactly like the trailer. Clearly, there has never been a case where a trailer has misrepresented, or even mildly twisted certain plot elements for the sake of advertising - Hollywood has way too much integrity for that.

That trailer is middle of the road, but I’m still hopeful because I’ve already read the script. The Scriptshadow blog had a pretty convincing analysis of it.

You are a sad, bitter little man.

I read the script, it’s a nice tight little thriller. Previous thread here.

Considering how good Moon was I’m willing to give this a shot despite the stupid title.

First four and a half minutes

Confused Jakey is confused.

This sums up how I feel as well.

So, yeah, this is out. I liked it. The ending is a bit shit.

I liked it as well. I am, however, looking for you nerds to nitpick it to death so that I can wonder if I really should have. :)

I saw it this afternoon and thought it was okay, but really wished I’d just waited until it was available on Netflix.

Actually, I’m getting in before that begins as I’d like to avoid it.

Source Code isn’t as good as Moon but neither is it a disappointing sophmore effort. Shamalan should take notes on how to allow a story to unfold. As soon as a plot point becomes obvious in this movie, it’s revealed. None of that terrible drawing out you often run into with high concept movies. The big reveal is not the point in source code, the story is. As with Moon, it’s a very human story.

I started poking holes in the basic concept a few hours later (though it kind of sort of made sense at the time) and then stopped because I didn’t want to ruin a movie I had enjoyed by going all comic book nerd on it.

In a way, this movie reminds me of The Adjustment Bureau, because it’s a love story wrapped in sci-fi trappings.