Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

I actually think that’s a neat mechanic, makes you seek out newer, younger crewmembers from time to time. Usually survival shit bugs me, but this doesn’t.

Good to hear it’s not as annoying as imagined :)

If anyone’s interested. Not for me as its just more zombies, demons etc etc. But I know some folks enjoy that so.

Hello my friends, and welcome to another week of spacey gaming! Because so much has come out in the last couple of weeks, I busted my tail to bring you three games of the week this week! First up, we have the much-anticipated dark exploration, intrigue and combat game, Sunless Skies! We then have the militaristic space combat game, Arc Savior! Finally, we have the planetary bombardment frenzy that is Worbital! To top it all off, since we’re having the developer on our podcast this week, I made a new video of Rodina to get y’all caught up on the billion changes he’s made since my last preview back in 2014. ;)

On this week’s podcast (Tuesday, 5:00 PM Pacific, Twitch, YouTube, Mixer), as previously mentioned, we’ll welcome back Brendan Anthony, the developer of the space exploration game Rodina, to catch us all up on how the game is coming along (spoiler: it’s coming along FANTASTICALLY).

That’ll be it for the week friends, as we’ll be taking Thursday off for Valentine’s Day! Thanks so much for being awesome, and enjoy your week!

I really liked the DoomRL. I’ll be curious how this pans out.

Your first Rodina link goes to your YouTube Studio page for the video, and your second points to the Worbital one.

Shitfuck, I’ll fix that in a moment. Thanks!

Not entirely related to space games but I found some good mentions in the comments:

Hah, first comment is the refit Enterprise from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Still my all-time favorite reveal.

Ask, and ye shall receive!

Well, three of the best spaceship reveals in videogames are in the Freespace series. ;)

First thing that came to mind.

Dear lord.

Heck yeah. The Galatae and the Lucifer in the first game. And then the Colossus in the second game.

There are others too. The way the camera starts from the fighter exhaust and slowly zooms out to reveal the whole (damaged) fighter in the opening movie in Freespace 1, for instance. The flashes of Shivan ships. There’s so much awesome in that series.

Agreed, Freespace did wonderful reveals.

I liked the Titan AE reveal.

The ship is quite good, but Planet Bob is the best ;)

My favorite space sim moment ever occurred in Freespace. I’m going to mess up the details, but:

In the mission brief, your wing is sent out for whatever reason, to shepherd a convoy or something. Naturally, it gets jumped by Shivans and yells for help from the Galatea. Unfortunately, the Galatea is also beset by Shivans, so it turns into a struggle to survive until the Galatea can rescue you.

The first time I played the mission, by pure chance, I was oriented so that the Galatea jumped in from behind me and came screaming in directly over my fighter to save us. Such an awesome moment!

Fuuuuck yeah, that sounds amazing.