Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Hey Brian, long time lurker here and on your Space Game Junkie site. I would love to see what the gameplay of The Viceroy looks like, because there is pretty much nothing to go by but the description, screenshots, and manual.

Right? With a myriad of solutions besides some nebulous “media”. Ugh.

Hello, and thanks for visiting my site!! I’ll be covering the game next week for my weekly let’s play series, so hopefully that will be awesome. I’m excited about it!

Looking forward to it–thanks! Love your videos!

Thank you so much, I’m so glad you enjoy them!

Without waiting until next week, given that you haven’t spent a lot of time with it, right now is it thumbs up or down?

Given I’ve spent maybe 20 minutes with it, or less, I can’t in good conscious go either way yet, but I’m super excited to play more.

I feel bad too, I wish I had the time play it and give you a solid answer.

Don’t worry about it.

Which way will he go?!

So taking another swipe at the manual I think I have a better understanding of what this is.

Sounds like the structure is similar to the Eador games, where you progress through a series of sectors that have quests that have to be solved by doing 4X-y stuff, and between sectors you can reassign skill points to improve various stats and get perks. Is that about it?

So the questions that remain are whether the 4X-y stuff is interesting, and if you can play skirmish games in a single sector separate from the campaign. Also, I don’t see place for exploration, so is this more of a 3X game/

Do we have a mention for Empyrion - Galactic Survival yet? (cue Brian’s despairing remark he has covered it on his website last week!):

http://empyriongame.com/

Seems to be Steam only for PC so far (hoping that will change later), but looks interesting and spacey enough for this thread :)

So guys, I hope you don’t mind me pimping, but Fleets of Sol is a game that pretty much came out nowhere, and I was able to do a preview of it after having the dev on our podcast for Battle of Sol a few weeks ago. I wanted to spread the word about it, because it’s nifty, so I hope y’all enjoy the vid.

As for Empyrion, Zak, I did get a key, but when I tried to play it it was a right mess. This was a while ago, so I need to return to it. No dispairing remarks this time. :)

TGB, it doesn’t appear in Viceroy as if you can do skirmishes, but you can apparently leave a sector if you feel it’s a lost cause and move onto another one.

Hey Brian, from your hours spent, it didn’t look like you got a chance to play much of Star Ruler 2. Are you planning to spend any more time with it because you seemed to have positive first impressions. I think I’ve got some of the basics down but it certainly feels different than a lot of games, so there is plenty of room to get confused.

Yeah, it’s on my list, but it’s a couple of weeks away since the Viceroy came out. You can see the schedule on my calendar :)

The pressure thing is something I’ve been having issues with too, so I hope to really to fully understand it soon! I take a stab at it in my second video though:

I hope these help a bit.

I’ll give it a looksy Brian. Thanks

That’s too bad. But is my take on the game pretty much right?

That does seem to be it in a nutshell, yes. I kinda love how you can affect things on a district, planet or system wide level, can’t wait to see that in action.

I guess you could also play it as a skirmish if you never left your initial sector maybe?

Question for Brian Rubin: the German magazine Gamestar looked (as kind of a response to his Star Citizen stunt) at Derek Smart’s latest attempt at creating a game and their verdict was not pretty (key words: “interstellar trash”, “impertinence of a game”, “Smart’s declaration of bankruptcy as a game developer”).

I hadn’t even heard of this game before. Does it fall into your space game / general interest category, have you looked at it?

I have looked at it. Months ago I got a key, played for five-ten minutes before realizing I had no idea what I was doing, and haven’t touched it since. I’m waiting for it to spend more time in the oven before returning.

Yeah, that GameStar review just absolutely (and justifiably) craps all over Line of Defense.