Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

There’s a tower defense game that involves protecting a space station (I think - I’m not really into that genre) from 50’s-style flying saucers. The cut scenes had a real B-movie vibe to them as well.

I can’t think of the name, but I’m sure someone here will know the game I’m talking about.

[edit] And had I not been too lazy to read all the way to the end of the thread, I would see that Unstoppable Gorg has already been mentioned.

So you guys, I had the oddest craving to play Stars! today, so I loaded up that virtual machine XP mode thingy for Win 7, and in there loaded the EXE I got from the Stars! Autohost site (and a $6 key) and boom, I was playing. Such a great game still.

Hey now there is a kick starter - shame the sequel never made it out the door; cannot remember it’s name at the moment.

Stars! Supernova. I still have the beta disks.

It doesn’t hold a candle to VGA Planets! :-P

Oh, wow VGA Planets!

I often wish that Flying Buffalo would create a PC/Mobile version of Starweb the old PBM game.

There are a lot of PBM games I used to play that I wish were somehow converted to purchase the game and let the players run their own games.

I never quite got into VGAP like I did into Stars!.

Heh. I still have my VGA Planets 3.0 (DOS) and 3.5 (Win 3.1) floppies somewhere around here. I played that one a LOT. ;)

Hey, Brian -

What do you know about this Viceroy thingamajig coming out tomorrow? I did a search on your site and came up empty handed.

Wow, I have never even heard of it. Damn, well spotted.

If you’re one day from release of a new space game and Brian Rubin doesn’t know about it, you haven’t figured out space game marketing 101.

Right? I wrote 'em though and just got a key, so I’m gonna dive in head first, manual be damned!

Welp, the game crashes whenever I try to enter the “portal” but I’ve let the devs know. Eeeeeep.

Edit: Restarting Steam seemed to fix it, and wow, this looks kind of complex and amazing. DEFINITELY need to read the manual.

I tried to read the manual earlier, and the good news is this seems to stray far from the traditional 4X formula. The bad is that it strays so far I really couldn’t make heads or tails out of what I was reading.

Is there a tutorial?

Kinda, there are popups and a vocal guide that…er…guides you through the initial phases of the game, which is pretty helpful. I’m reading the manual now though, since the tutorial only goes so far. I really like what I’m seeing too.

Basically, the universe was ruled by a grand empire until it collapsed. As part of one of the resulting factions that formed out of the chaos, you’re assigned a territory to rebuild, which you do via research, building and so forth. Once you feel you’ve finished with a territory, you can go to another one, apparently. I really like the idea of this.

Turn based or real time? How’s the combat (if there is any)?

Turn based, and I’ve not seen any combat yet. The steam page says the following:

Customize your faction’s various ships as anything from short range brawlers to long range fire support, then watch your A.I. captains strategically jockey for optimal firing positions in hyperspace as they take the fight to the increasingly formidable rebellion.

and:

Construct fleets to protect and defend your people from the rebellion and its campaign of terror.

Customize your faction’s fleets with a dozen ship patterns and multiple offensive and defensive system

So it sounds like combat is hands off, which I dig.

I have no problem with hands-off combat. I look forward to more impressions (unless I succumb first, which is likely).

Actually in reading the manual, it looks like one has some control in combat if they want.

Seems like what I wanted Galactic Inheritors to actually be.