Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Ancient Frontier has been on my wish list and it is now 40% off on Steam. There was some chat about this last year, not much since. Is anyone playing this and would you recommend it?

It’s okay, not great. But if you’re dying for some tactical spaceship combat that’s not terrible, you could do worse. The writing, however, is just wincingly poor.

Thanks @BrianRubin

I am looking for some tactical spaceship combat that is fun and exciting in a game that will run on my Intel UHD 620 graphics card.

Do you prefer turn-based or real-time?

Turn based. I have Stars in Shadow, MoO2, Distant Worlds, Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, Star Ruler 2 and Polaris Sector. A mix of TB and RTS though I prefer TB.

Send me your bill.

Alright, I can easily recommend these:

Do any of those work, or should I keep going?

They do, thank you Brian.

I’ve been curious about Star Hammer, same folks that released the BSG:Deadlock game, right?

Think I will give it a try. Someday when the chipsets are no longer vulnerable to Specter or Meltdown I’ll upgrade to a better rig and will move up to the big league games.

That’s right.

fwiw I was pleasantly surprised by the combat in Polaris Sector. I dont think its worth full price but if you can pick it up on sale its a unique enough take that its worth checking out.

Oh and I am apparently the only person on Earth who thinks Sid Meier’s Starships! is fun. So you might wanna check that out as well.

Yeah, but their former game might be a little easier on your GPU methinks.

Yeah, it has pretty decent combat for a 4X.

You are indeed. IS SO BORING.

You are not alone on this earth my friend

Battlestar Galactica Deadlock or Star Hammer: The Vanguard Prophecy (both by same company) fit the bill, IMO.

Oh excellent! Good to have fellow heretics :) I admit I am biased though, I am a Sid Meier fan boy.

So glad to see someone who remembers Flotilla. Loved that game, warts and all.

Damn skippy.

Did they ever fix the thing where the aliens could just pop up in any system (if I remembering correctly) instead of having to use the hyper lanes? I seem to remember that coming up, and set it aside and then never got back to it. Definitely an interesting game with the ship design and the tactical combat. It sounds like the dlc might have even improved on the combat by adding ship roles. I thought it was cool that I had to basically design logistics ships so my fleet had enough fuel to make it to a nearby star system.

I did not run into that issue so maybe it got patched? I bought it this year so I have no idea how it was at launch.

So @BrianRubin, I know you’re going to be doing The Spatials: Galactology next week on your site, and I noticed it’s on a nice bundle sale with the first Spatials game; have you spent enough time to give a thumbs up? (and if so, how big?)

I’ve not had time to touch it yet. I’ll chime back in on Sunday after I spend time with it. The original was a ton of fun, so likely this will be too.

Much appreciated! It looks quite fun, but I’ve been fooled before.