Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Sad news, that guy had so many great ideas, too bad it couldn’t come to fruition.

Josh is obviously a very smart and talented programmer - I hope he finds a stable position somewhere so he can continue to do what he obviously loves doing, but without the stress of being a one man show.

That would be ideal. He clearly has talent, he just needs talented people around him.

It was heartening to read the comments to his post. I had expected vile accusations and anger.

Catastronauts was released yesterday! Overcooked meets… FTL? Either way, I played it earlier in the year at Rezzed and it was shaping up nicely. Hoping to pick this up once I’m done with Overcooked 2.

On Steam, PS4, Xbox and Switch. No online play but on PC there’s Parsec for that which works really well (it’s a miracle to be fair).

Mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand he was very open and transparent about his battle with mental illness (a year or two in to the project), on the other hand he took $187k from backers and agonized over it for five or six years.

There is an object lesson, here.

While I certainly like the looks of Catastronauts due to the FTL roots, I wonder if it offers anything markedly different aside from multi-player and better graphics.

I hear ya. While I’m unsurprised, I’m also disappointed.

If you’ve played Overcooked then you’ll know how the multiplayer makes it a fundamentally different experience. You might be doing certain similar things as in FTL but coordinating in real-time is where the excitement is. I think it’s more of an arcade game than a roguelike or simulation!

Yes, I agree.

Coming from a business background, his lack of experience became evident quite early. It’s much easier to stand back and criticize than to actually walk the path.

That said, the project struck me as optimistic in a time when many were riding waves of Kickstarter hype. Someone with a little more wisdom should have sat the dev down and asked “can you actually do this?”

Maybe the conversation did happen, we may never know.

https://twitter.com/supersolargame

Do want!

Wow I love that “ship as a fish” rotate and roll it has going on there. Very nice indeed.

Welp, looks like X4 is coming on 11/30!

Yes. Right out of the blue with no hype it seems. I hope that means they havent felt the pressure to release too early as they did with rebirth.

That’s what I’m hoping too.

Oh and yeah - I am super excited for this…!!

I’m not super excited about a non-VR space game, but the X games aren’t really about the cockpit experience anyway – so I might give it a go if reviews are favorable.

I sure hope they’ve done some work on the UI to make it more approachable than previous entries.

Im so not going to buy this day one this time.

BUT THERE’S A COLLECTOR’S EDITION AND EVERYTHING.

https://www.egosoft.com/shop/default.asp?id=102

Won’t SOMEBODY think of the soundtrack? ;)

Unless Egosoft goes back toward the X3 direction, it’s another no-sale for me.